Skip to content

What is the nature of alignment?

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
Just whimsically wondering what most people thought about this. Some people think that lawful means that you follow external laws set by the community, some people (@jackjack?) think that it's a internal code, a strick self discipline. As for good/evil, some people think that good is immediate, the ends never justify the means. Some people think it's long-term, that an out of context "evil" act could be good in a larger arc. I don't want to make the poll options to busy, so I'll explain the options here:

1. Law is external, lawful means you follow the laws set by the community. Good is immediate, the ends never justify the means. Chaos means a disregard for the laws of society, but you can still posses a strick moral code.

2. Law is external, good is delayed. Sometimes the ends justify the means; you could steal or harm for the greater good.

3. Law is internal, to be lawful is to follow a strict moral code, and have much self discipline. good is immediate.

4. Law is internal, good is delayed.

*****clarification: though I didn't really say so, I'm thinking about this mostly in the context of paladins. I think I explain better in a below comment*****
  1. What is the nature of alignment?36 votes
    1. Law is external, good is immediate
      25.00%
    2. Law is external, good is delayed
      13.89%
    3. Law is internal, good is immediate
      27.78%
    4. Law is internal, good is delayed
      33.33%
Post edited by meagloth on

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I like the premise as well, although the 'immediate/delayed' component doesn't quite fit in with any philosophy that I would ascribe to good or evil.

As far as Law/chaos, I have long maintained that a Lawful alignment has nothing to do what so ever with any judicial system. The two may coincide, but one is not predicated upon the other.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yeah, I had concerns about putting the delayed/immediate thing in there, it's more of an afterthought than anything else. It seems to have been a mistake, cause it looks like a lot of you aren't voting due to it. I was only a bit curious about that, and it fit into the poll, and I was hoping that haveing more options would make it a little more interesting. My bad.
    Honestly I think this poll is mostly concerning paladins. Can a paladin commit a small evil act for the greater good, or does he fall for even little things, and can he break the law of the land, or does he need to follow all the laws to the letter to keep his "lawful" status?
    @Blackraven‌ sorry, I should have put an "other " option. I knew I forgot something.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I fully second what @Ballad wrote here.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Before this thread erupts into the ever so popular Paladin vs Lawful Good debate, let me preemptively draw my concluding argument with this statement:

You roleplay your Chaotic Good Paladin the way you want to, and I'll roleplay my Lawful Good Paladin the way I do.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited May 2014
    Also, I like to think of goodness in terms of selflessness vs. selfishness. A good, i.e more selfless person is genuinely concerned about the well-being of others, even those not immediately close to him or her, and does not involve his or her ego or self-interest in every equation. Or put more precisely, a good person does not see himself or herself as fundamentally separate from other people/beings, so there is no real conflict of interest. A selfish or evil person, on the other hand, firmly believes that seeking to maximize one's own gain or self-interest is the only sane and sensible way to go about life. Ironically enough, very few 'evil' people would actually identify as such - it is more likely that they would regard themselves as the good or sane guys while considering everyone else stupid or foolish (if you've read Ayn Rand, you know what I'm talking about.)

Edit: naturally, a topic like this promotes oversimplification - in reality, facets of good and evil are much harder to pinpoint or define
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2014
    Being Lawful means being strict to bone, hence why there is very few people who is actually lawful and not neutral.
    And good, good is what you consider the best for whomever you are considering for that to be good.

Edit: crap, voted the wrong option I disagree with :/ but Laws have to be set by someone, so I am something in the middle of both...
    edited May 2014
    Number of days since last "Lawful vs. Law" with Paladin being used as extreme (and erroneous) example? - zero.

Being any alignment is intended to be a continuum upon which the subject can and usually does hit upon all points. They just gravitate towards one end of the spectrum (or the middle) more than the other. A Lawful person (being defined here as someone with a strong internal moral code) will, under circumstances, violate that code "Where they feel it is necessary." The degree to which that happens varies with the individual.

No, Lawful alignments are no more 'Extreme' than 'Chaotic' in there adherence to their ideology.

I really gotta leave this thread before it gets ugly. :)

I really gotta leave this thread before it gets ugly. :)

I hope It doesn't come to that :/ I was just wondering what the majority was and set up a quick poll
    These type of threads usually get ugly in my experience. Either people try to force feed the fact that Law is the prefix of Lawful and therefore MUST mean that a Lawful person will ONLY ever follow the law, regardless of how crazy that law is. Or someone will say that Lawfuls are and can only be extreme zealots. Or they will say that Chaotics are equivalent to insane sociopaths. Or that chaotics who tell the truth are violating their alignments (or other equally extreme examples).

There are other variations and deviations. and don't even get started on Paladins....

At the end of the day, I blame some combination of Michael Moorcock for being a truly visionary writer, and Gary Gygax and Company for adopting the Law/chaos axis into some very loose net structure for a free form game, without fully explaining/exploring the ramifications.

In my personal opinion (and that is all any of these opinions are, opinions), Alignment was intended to be a guideline, an arrow in the dark, to say if someone was basically a good person, or a rotten one and the degree to which they were OCD or free spirits (those being the fundamental two axis involved).

But people want to turn it into monopoly or checkers, or a set of flight instructions where everything is rigid and defined to their exacting specifications (and I fall victim of this as well). I don't believe that was the intent.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited May 2014
    The system is horrible to begin with and most attempts to rationalize it just means trying to excuse a horrible system.

But I'll try, the Law-Chaos scale is how the character views Order-Individuality. Lawful means either following them or working within them. Also it means a preference for a society with rules. Chaotic means individuality, whatever the person's goals are (Good/Neutral/Evil) those are best achieved with less laws governing them.

Neutral means picking whichever is the best path for the situation. And even that is iffy because someone who is sticking to laws might be thinking in the long term sticking the the laws is the best option.

So Law is external.

Good and Evil isn't about long or short term goals. It's about perspective. If a person thinks doing bad things for the greater good is still good then it's good. If a person thinks doing bad things for the greater good is bad then it's evil.

This is what's actually internal. If the reasons for a person doing something is good then they're good. If it's evil then they're evil.
    @Zyzzogeton - that's one view. it is by no means mine, but it is one view.

I don't think the system is "horrible" so much as not very well defined. With so many potential (and contradictory) definitions of any point on the axis, it is open to interpretation in ways that were not intended. And with it being a "Rule" people try to "Rule Lawyer" it and try to make it a hard and fast 'Fixed' location instead of the continuum that the DMG describes.

I also absolutely disagree with your definition of Lawful. While it is true that a lawful person will in all probability gravitate more towards structure, that structure in no way means or has to have any relation to Society or the legal or judicial system of the land. It MIGHT do, but it doesn't HAVE To.

A Lawful evil thief is not anachronistic. Stealing and breaking the law is completely within character for a Lawful individual. Being a terrorist and undermining society as a whole is completely in character, if their internal code of conduct dictates a higher order. Being part of the church and disagreeing with (even taking action against) the State to effect change is completely within the purview of a lawful character.

And it is in no way external. It is 100% an internal belief system or code of conduct. It "CAN" be modeled after some external framework (say government or the church or order) but even then it is internal. And it doesn't HAVE to have anything to do what so ever with government or church.

In short, Lawful does not in any way equal or correlate to Legal. It's just a poor choice of the word "Lawful".

All in my personal view.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited May 2014
    I sort of second what @Bkackraven observed about it really not being one or the other, so therefore no vote.

I think the problem with Lawfulness being defined strictly by the law of the land (and the letter of the law) is that there is tremendous social and cultural diversity in the Forgotten Realms, and therefore what is lawful in one place may not be in another. That sort of forces consistency for lawful behavior into the realm of principled and morally consistent behavior.

As for Good defined in terms of immediate impact versus a longer term outcome, that is a personal judgment that I think is best left to ropleplaying the character, and should be handled case by case.

Interesting take on the two axes in the topic starter. I just don't see them as linear and discreet, but rather as part of a more fluid and organic whole--i.e., aspects of the character's more complex entire personality.
    Wow, this is amazingly even. I'm surprised. I thought there would at least be a clear winner.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    FinaLfront- Save vs Open Can of Worms
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

people try to force feed the fact that Law is the prefix of Lawful and therefore MUST mean that a Lawful person will ONLY ever follow the law, regardless of how crazy that law is. Or someone will say that Lawfuls are and can only be extreme zealots. Or they will say that Chaotics are equivalent to insane sociopaths. Or that chaotics who tell the truth are violating their alignments (or other equally extreme examples).

Preach, brother, preach!
    If Lawful is satisfied by an internal moral code then what's Chaotic? A Chaotic Good person believes Good cannot be achieved by a system of laws and only through granting people individual freedom. That is a internal moral code.

Neutral Good believes that laws should be followed if they think they're good, but can be be broken if not. That is also a moral code.

If anything every alignment across the spectrum operates off an internal moral code.

It's horrible because it's not well defined. With classes, spells, items running off alignment, it should have been well defined given that the game decides to compartmentalize everything into 9 neat categories.
    When it comes to alignment and your entire "immediate vs delayed" argument (I don't really agree with the way you framed that dynamic, but I'll try to work with it) I feel as though for Lawful Good Paladins (which you say is the focus) the Law-Chaos axis is actually the part that tells you whether or not this character believs that "the ends do or do not justify the means" rather than the good-evil.

I can see this "flavor" of Lawful Good for Paladins being the view that there are moral absolutes that must be adhered to. Thus evil actions cannot be taken for "the greater good" and the ends do not justify the means. Think Immanuel Kant or the ideas of "natural rights". Killing is fundamentally wrong, so killing one man to save two is still wrong in the most basic sense. If you read the comic Watchmen you will see a pretty elegant and striking example of this sort of position.

Similarly there is another "flavor" of Chaotic Good that is entirely Utilitarian. It is the view that the "greatest good for the greatest number" should be the end goal, and whether or not an action moves toward an outcome in this direction determines its morality.
    PS: I voted for what I did because of my last comment. I think the fact that the Alignment Spectrum exists as some sort of weird-ass cosmic entity with entire planes of existence allocated to each alignment, combined with the fact that paladins are disciples of cosmic beings that often represent such absolutes, indicates that paladins would have that sort of absolutist Lawful Good alignment.
    @booinyoureyes‌ planes of alignments?

If Lawful is satisfied by an internal moral code then what's Chaotic?

I think Chaotic neutral was best described in a text- "lol Idunno I just do whatever"

If Lawful is satisfied by an internal moral code then what's Chaotic? A Chaotic Good person believes Good cannot be achieved by a system of laws and only through granting people individual freedom. That is a internal moral code.

If lawful isn't tied to a judicial system, chaotic shouldn't be either. A chaotic person might very well believe in a system of laws and abide by them. However, a chaotic person would be more about how those laws (or absence of same) allowed for personal and individual goal attainment within his or her own internal moral code.

Just take the judicial system out of your thinking when talking about alignment. It's got no place in that conversation, certainly not as a driver for either Lawful or Chaotic.

And to really mess with you, a chaotic would have an internal moral code as well. that isn't the defining concept. But the types of things that the internal moral code was concerned about, and how the person might act to achieve those goals, THAT is what defines the difference.

At the end of the day, given any situation you care to mention, being lawful or chaotic won't dictate definitively the outcome of any individual action. It might dictate the reasons WHY an action is taken, but not the outcome.

Think of a Lawful neutral coven of Druids protesting against the encroachment of development into a wooded area. The internal code of the druids may very well be a structured, logical, group minded and holistic approach to stopping Society's march of progress.

Think of a Chaotic good band of elves, who roam about the forest stopping bandits from attacking merchants and other travelers and generally upholding the law of the land. Neither of these situations is anachronistic or in violation of their individual alignments. Because 'The law' is not alignment based.
    edited May 2014
    You seem to be confused. No one is arguing Alignment isn't internal.

What people are saying about Lawful and Chaotic is that a person who is Lawful has an internal code of adhering to a system of laws to govern a society while a person who is Chaotic has an internal code of favoring personal freedom.

And Lawful doesn't mean adhering to the biggest set of laws out there. It's adhering to a society's set of laws and sticking to those rigidly. And just because those elves just happen to uphold the law doesn't mean they think those laws should be there. All you have is two groups that happen to be working towards a similar goal.

A Lawful soldier can just as easily stick to his home country's own laws while in another country. And in a situation where the laws of the two countries clash, that soldier would seem Chaotic, but he's still Lawful. So it's no different from the Druids. The laws they adher to are their order's own laws.
    @Zyzzogeton - No. That isn't what lawful means. At least not in my view. Lawful (or chaotic) are independent of legal/judicial system. My point was you can be lawful and flaunt the laws of the land or you can be chaotic and be the staunchest defender of it. Because they aren't correlated.

It's all about your individual code.
    Then define lawful and chaotic.

All you've given so far is an internal moral code. Which applies to all the alignments.
    @meagloth‌
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Outer_Planes_(3.5e_Environment)
    "Each Outer Plane is usually the physical manifestation of a particular moral and ethical alignment and the entities that dwell there often embody the traits related to that alignment."

@meagloth‌
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Outer_Planes_(3.5e_Environment)
    "Each Outer Plane is usually the physical manifestation of a particular moral and ethical alignment and the entities that dwell there often embody the traits related to that alignment."

O_o that's... That's actually really cool. I especially like the names. I had no idea the outer planes corresponded with alignments.