Skip to content

The (SCS no-reload) Tale of Serene Winterbloom, Beast Mistress of Candlekeep

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Horses, poor horses! I guess Serene used her special ability to charm animals but I have never thought that horses can become allies: wolves yes, bears yes, but not these honourable horses.

There's a link to the PnP Fey creatures mod component in one of the spoilers, it's interesting to read. I wonder if it's an Easter Egg planned by you for us, readers, to find, or just an oversight;)

This particular part has been quite insightful in teems of how to deal with SCS mages in BG1 - it's better to be cautious as much as you can. A few close calls (panicking charname is not what you want in front of an SCS mage during a no reload run) but also is well that ends well.

I've always wondered if I'm the one who finds the SCS Natasha dangerous. Now I see she's really powerful, not just to me.

It's a solid progress, congratulations.
    BlackravenlolienjackjackFinaLfront
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited May 2014
    You're right @bengoshi, all animals on the map are charmed: I've had enemies go after bats in caves/mines or after squirrels in the forest areas. Funny and sometimes helpful, but I often felt sorry if yet another squirrel got killed by a skeleton near the High Hedge....
    I linked to PnP Fey Creatures, not really as an Easter Egg, but mainly to make clear that the Druid spell 'Call Woodland Being' works quite differently with said component of the aTweaks mod. In vanilla BG the Nymphs are very useful thanks to their spell arsenal. They modded Woodland Beings have much less spellpower, and are slightly less useful, but their Charm ability is quite strong.

You're right about being cautious. I think that having a party of six makes me want to "test" more opponents, like Natasha. She's indeed very strong. She gave me a lot more trouble than with Davaeorn. And after this experience I believe she's better skipped on no-reload runs. Speaking of no-reload runs, have you had any time recently to make some progress with Yahiko or your Dwarven Wizard Slayer mr Blackrock? (Or maybe a new endeavour?)
    JuliusBorisov
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    I am yet to find a difficult fight with Charr'Neim. I guess the Nashkell mines will be the first trial. All the random bandit/bountihunters are quite easy. But the mines look tough!
    lolienjackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640

With the bear near us, we rested at a safe distance from the Druids, still invisible. Or I should say my party, except Coran and yours truly, rested. I gave myself to Coran that night. My friend, boyfriend and now lover started caressing me and kissing me all over my body. I couldn’t resist. It was a delightful experience. Coran was very patient and sweet with me.

But did she wait for the moon? Now that is the true question.

(Don't forget to visit Coran's old lover once you get to the Gate and take care of the wizard for her.)

I haven't tried a no-reload in forever, and honestly, I don't think I'm likely to ever do it again. I get too attached to my characters- minimal reload where I only reload if CHARNAME dies, sure, but no scrapping a character totally. I just can't do it anymore.

But it's fun to read about. I hope you manage to get through the full game.
    BlackravenElrandirjackjacklolien
    @Twani: lots of romance issues with Coran. I'm feeling quite sorry for Serene, and my views on Coran have changed a bit. It must have been the absence of the full moon I think. Will post an update probably tomorrow or Friday.

Re: no-reload I also get attached, but usually not to all party members. I think I would have liked a self-imposed restriction as to the number of NPC resurrections, forcing myself to be more careful with them and to be flexible/creative with my party composition.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited May 2014
    Not being able to use Arrows of Biting, Arrows of Piercing, Arrows of Detonation, helps to keep the bow from being OP.

Your Khalid looks very much like he might turn out to be a first-cousin of Serene Winterbloom.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovlolien
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    @Blackraven I told you. With Coran, always wait till the moon. I fear you didn't even leave things to chance, just got yourself on the bad path right away. But I guess I'll see in the upcoming posts! (Poor Serene.)

I'm tempted to do a minimal reload playthrough, but... no no-reloads for me. I'm too careless with my fool CHARNAMES. They tend to do things like cast color spray when surrounded by bandits.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovRavenslightlolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Twani‌
    Twani said:

They tend to do things like cast color spray when surrounded by bandits.

Use Sleep instead of Spray Colors, I know that in terms of role-playing is the lamest spell in the whole game (after the Plot-Holer™ aka Raise Dead/Resurrection casted over Imoen), but in powergaming terms is the most useful spell in BG1, unless you installed some weird shit like me that makes non-joinable NPCs of a higher level.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovMacHurto
    @bengoshi hahaha, that was funny :D Thanks so much! This one took me a long time! Going to sleep now, it's 1:30 AM here. Hope you your pillow is comfortable, your coffee tasty, and the read enjoyable!
    JuliusBorisovlolienGoturaljackjack
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    @Blackraven‌
    The read is enjoyable in the very best sense!
    Have sweet dreams! Just ... don't dream about Coran ;)
    lolienBlackravenjackjack
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It's like they say, don't start a romantic relationship with a friend as you might end up losing them in the end.

Don't start a romantic relationship with one of the best archers in the game that also happens to be a decent thief, because you might lose him in the end! *teases*
    BlackravenCrevsDaakElrandir
    edited May 2014

(STR bonus doesn't get multplied)

It does get multiplied in BG2, but not in the EEs, can't talk for BG1 as I never played it enough to understand what a backstab is.
    Edit: anyway you can be a great backstabber without the STR bonus.
    edited May 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

It does get multiplied in BG2, but not in the EEs, can't talk for BG1 as I never played it enough to understand what a backstab is.
    Strength didn't get multiplied in the original BG2 either, at least not in my installations. It was quite useful for the Thac0 bonus though, which made it easier to land your backstab.
    Blackraven
    edited May 2014
    @CrevsDaak and @SionIV, I can't speak for the original version, just my modded version. In it, STR damage gets added after the backstab multiplication. I agree that the Thac0 bonus is quite welcome, especially on a single class Thief as opposed to Fighter/Thief.
    Edit: In that respect, Alora has performed remarkably well so far. I should add though. that as a Burglar she's allowed two pips in Daggers, and that the Dagger of Venom as improved by Thalantyr, with its +3 Thac0 bonus, more or less compensate for her class and low STR.
    CrevsDaakSionIVJuliusBorisov
    edited May 2014
    SionIV said:

CrevsDaak said:

Strength didn't get multiplied in the original BG2 either, at least not in my installations. It was quite useful for the Thac0 bonus though, which made it easier to land your backstab.
    Look at this, I've dealt Sarevok 77 points of damage, with a Thief that has a damage multiplier of x7 (an Assassin, so there's a +1 to dog & THAC0), 19 STR and is wielding a plain dagger (1d4)... So... She rolled a 3 for the damage, so that's 11, 7 form STR and 4 from the dagger... 11x7=77 :D
    edit: ninja'd and forgot to mention that I'm using vanilla BG2 and that I got (3+1+7)x7=11, because I forgot to mention the +1 before.
    GoturalBlackravenjackjackJuliusBorisov
    The real formula that should be used and I've been using in my original game as well is the following.

(Base damage + Proficiency bonus + item bonus, bard song etc) x backstabbing multiplier + strength bonus ) x critical hit + additional weapon damage.
    BlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    edited June 2014
    @CrevsDaak, that's interesting. I'll have to look into this. I was pretty convinced of the correctness of @SionIV's formula.
    CrevsDaak