Skip to content

Wield 2h Weapons with One hand

MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
Apologies if unrealistic, but what is the possibility of making 2h Weapons able to be wielded in one hand with a shield in the other like the monkey grip feat in NWN2, of course it cannot be overpowered so what if it is only for certain requirements, e.g. must be Half-Orc, or must have a natural strength of at least 18/95, magical girdles don't count etc, any thoughts?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    This is something I Think a lot f people have been wanting for a long time, so I don't think it's going to happen, though it would be cool. I also think I heard somewhere that is hardcoded or some such, and would be a great deal of effort to change. Don't worry about it though, if you're that strong anyway, you get a significant damage bonus anyway, and once you get to a respectable level and weapon enchantment, the difference between 1d8 and 1d10 is pretty much naught.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Because of Carsomyr and the Purifier. Imagine that...
    JuliusBorisov
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Dual wielding can be broken enough as is, yet still. 5 APR with Soul Reaver, Carsomyr, or Gram would be just amazing to watch.
    lolien
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Technically, in 3.5 Monkey Grip states it lets you wield a larger version of a weapon, st -2 to hit. Allowing a two-handed weapon as one handed is strictly better in 3.x, as such weapons can have reach. In AD&D, it might be OP as twh weapons tend to have better enchantments.
  • MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited May 2014
    Well, no big loss I guess
    Post edited by Mhamza on
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I was more thinking of refining this to single handed spears. Because spears don't require two hands, I own some and they are perfectly easy to use one handed. I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd resurrect this one and see what you think.
    If it's hard coded then it probably wouldn't be worth the effort anyway. But it would be nice to discuss your thoughts all the same! :)
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    CaloNord said:

I was more thinking of refining this to single handed spears. Because spears don't require two hands, I own some and they are perfectly easy to use one handed.

Good idea, but unrealistic.
    Spear using two-handed animation and it is not possible to create new animations.

What spear really needs is is improvement damage.
    How can staff with a spike doing same injury as staff without spike?
    Spear needs to do at least 1-8 DMG.
    1-6 DMG is for a two-handed weapon ridiculous.
    CaloNord
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I agree, that's what I was thinking of. They need some boost, be it becoming one handed, which won't be happening. Or receiving some love. Either in the form of a couple more enchanted ones around the place or a bump up for the existing ones. I LOVE spears and have a spear fighter at the moment. Just waiting for him to get the Impaler.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited July 2014
    It doesn't....a spear deals piercing instead of blunt. And you can stab with a quarterstaff as easily as anything else, and depending on the armor of the target it can be less/equal/more effective then a spear would.

That said...the 2hded spears are supposed to be 1d8 and have increased range. The 1d6 spears are supposed to be 1hded (but are shorter and only reach normal melee range).
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Spears were d8 in IWD iirc, which is still not a great weapon choice, amounting to +1 average damage. Spears though are supposed to be a less useful weapon, which 3.x did a good job with by making them easy to be proficient with. They arent a warriors first choice, but a cleric, sorcerer etc might like one.

In bg2, spears arent awful, but Ixil is no Ravager or Gram. Impaler is a peach though, and the unicorn one is handy early or as an alternate weapon for its immunity.