Skip to content

Remplace Dorn Portrait

TxerokiTxeroki Member Posts: 13
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I saw this picture and no like. You want change this portrait?

http://www.baldursgate.com/images/dorn/DornPortrait.jpg
  1. Remplace Dorn Portrait133 votes
    1. Yes, remplace with one more good
      18.80%
    2. No remplace, this portrait is excelent
      81.20%

Comments

• seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    I like his portrait, I think it's very well done. For a half orc, he's not so bad looking. But taste is subjective, to each his own. You can always change his portrait to one you like better and think suits him.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Aw :( I hate to say it but I love Dorn's portrait. What kind of portrait would you prefer instead?
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Sorry, I'm actually a fan of it. I like all three of the new portraits and Dorn's in particular. I don't think it needs getting replaced. Maybe you'll have the option to do that in-game. You could use the half-orc portrait from BG2, perhaps.
  • TxerokiTxeroki Member Posts: 13
    Silence said:

Aw :( I hate to say it but I love Dorn's portrait. What kind of portrait would you prefer instead?

One well-drawn respecting the original style of Baldur's Gate.

No want nothing special.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Nope.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    seeka said:

For a half orc, he's not so bad looking.

Agreed haha, he looks pretty good for a half-orc.

Umm, well my opinion is hardly needed here but obviously I'm a big fan ... xD
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Me like it much, remplace nothink!
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Look very good no need to replace.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    The portrait is fine for me.
  • TxerokiTxeroki Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2012
    I compare them with those of BG1 and I think such an amateur drawing even I could do it.

If the bg1 have 10/10, these have a 4/10
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    This portrait is not ugly and it is drawn good, but it's kinda different style from the original Baldur's Gate portraits. So I vote for change. :)
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    There were no BG1 half orcs. Hard to compare. But this portrait is way better then the BG2 half orc one (which look pretty dumb and not very mean)... So that's a no for me. And there is no way I could draw smg like that !
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    I was half expecting the third option in the poll to be "Smash you. Smash you to goo."

No, let's not remplace any of the new portraits. They fine as is, it is.
  • pacekpacek Member Posts: 92
    Txeroki said:

I compare them with those of BG1 and I think such an amateur drawing even I could do it.
    If the bg1 have 10/10, these have a 4/10

You show me your version and I'll reconsider my vote.
  • siriuslukesiriusluke Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2012
    The new monk's portrait is OK, the other two look pretty cheap. If you look at Dorn's face, it hasn't been rendered carefully, doesn't have much dedicate tonal changes; worst is his nose, looks flat and lacks form. Not to mention Dorn's sword, lots of jagged edges that needed to be cleaned up. My guess is that Dorn and the Wild Mage's portraits were done in a huge rush. I am very disappointed with the two portraits but I think it's highly unlikely for them to be replaced.
    Post edited by siriusluke on
    imageimage

Now if you look at the first one: notice how solid and 3-dimensional his head look? You can clearly see how all the bones and muscles are connected. There's a huge difference if you compare Dorn's portrait with this one. See it for yourself.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    A rushed portrait wouldn't have earrings that are barely visible and a chain mail just visible below the full plate armor. The hair is also very detailed.

It wasn't made in a rush, not at all. And especially they aren't amateur.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Comparing those two pictures is quite hard, the new one is almost monochromatic by comparison.
    edited August 2012

Comparing those two pictures is quite hard, the new one is almost monochromatic by comparison.

If you PS both of them into black and white, you will see the first portrait has a sense of realism that utterly surpasses the second one. It has nothing to do with hue my friend, it's all about forms and how they are built up through careful rendering.
    edited August 2012
    The BG1 portraits weren't just painted, they were real people posing in them(Garrick being Cameron Tofer for instance), that's why they look so real.

• JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    His current portrait's badarse!

The BG1 portraits weren't just painted, they were real people posing in them(Garrick being Cameron Tofer for instance), that's why they look so real.

Great, so you do agree that there's a huge difference between the two finished portraits.
    I agree that there is a good difference between a realistically drawn human being and a fantasy half-orc. Personally, I like BG2 portraits more, and the three new portraits are more to that style. Furthermore, each artist has his or her own way of drawing pictures. You don't like it, replace it in the override folder, simple as that really.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @siriusluke Well, I agree and disagree. The portrait on the left has been lit to emphasise all of those features that you are fond of, the one on the right.. I'll go ahead and say it looks more like something out of a graphic novel, but I can't help wondering how much that is down to the chiaroscuro, rather than actual form implied.
    To try and clarify my point, they are hard to compare because they are stylistically different, not better or worse - That in itself could be a reason to suggest a replacement portrait.

As cheesebelly says, all the old ones look like they've been done from photographs, which would explain why the faces tend to be far more convincing than the clothing they are in.
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    edited August 2012
    There IS a huge difference. The first is a naked human, the second is a freakin' fully equipped half orc blackguard ^^

But maybe you don't like the style. That more personnal, and I can't argue with personnal taste. At most we can agree to disagree.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Tiax see's nothing wrong with this "Orc". When Tiax rules, the orc shall be by his side covered in blood, brought forth from the slaying Tiax's enemies!
    @Cheesebelly & Moomintroll

True, if a portrait's done by digital painting and the other one by photo manipulation, then we can't directly compare them for those are two completely different approaches. However, we can compare them according to their appearances as end products. Regardless of different styles and approaches, I think the two new portraits are inconsistent to the older ones.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    I can see how the lighting style used in Dorn's portrait gives a different appearance of depth than in the BG1 portrait posted for comparison, but I still think the artist has done an impressive job of making the portrait fit in with the flavor of the original BG artwork.

Verisimilitude and depth perception are stylistic choices, not a measure of the quality of the artwork (imagine how boring it would be if art was reduced to a contest about creating the most transparent and objective depiction of reality, completely void of imagination and idiosyncrasy). Though you are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. IMO the new portraits by no means look rushed or amateurish, but rather detailed and expressive.

Keep in mind that you're free to change NPC portaits in the game yourself if you don't like the default ones, and from what I gather there's going to be a good selection of all new portraits in BGEE.

Personally I'm thrilled to see that Jason Manley will be doing a set of new PC portraits for the game -- I love his style!
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

@Cheesebelly & Moomintroll
    Regardless of different styles and approaches, I think the two new portraits are inconsistent to the older ones.

Then the conclusion is clear, we get rid of the old ones.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The only reason why the new portraits stand out to me is because their colours don't seem as vivid as the ones in the original portraits. Ignoring that, to me, they fit BG1's style perfectly.

Regardless, I don't think there will be any remplacing of portraits.