Skip to content

Armor class modifiers on character sheet and Ankheg plate mail description

PolkPolk Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Not An Issue
Hi, I found the following problems:

1) The description of both Ankheg plate mails that my party has (one forged, one from Nashkell) states that it's AC 1(-2 vs. slashing, 0 vs. piercing and missiles), while all online resources, and also my character sheet screen (more on that later), state that the modifiers are (-3 vs. slashing, -1 vs. piercing and missiles)

I've discovered it accidentally, while investigating another issue, namely:

2)The AC modifiers on character sheet don't display/stack up properly: while wearing the Ankheg plate mail, which has -3 vs. slashing and -1 vs. piercing and missiles, the modifiers display as described. However, when I also wear eg. the Elves' Bane belt, which has +3 vs. piercing and missiles, the character sheet combines it into -4 vs. piercing and missiles.

Basically, whether the bonus stated in an item's description is positive or negative, the character sheet treats it as a negative.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Polk, the description is correct as the modifiers (-3 vs. slashing, -1 vs. piercing and missiles) are applied to the base AC of 1, so we have 1-3 = -2 vs. slashing and 1-1 = 0 vs. piercing and missiles.

The modifiers also stack up correctly for the Elves' Bane belt as the belt provide a bonus, hence the +3 in his description, but lower AC is better so the bonus is subtracted instead of added. It is not very intuitive, but this is how a bonus works on AD&D 2nd edition.
  • PolkPolk Member Posts: 2
    Oops, feel kinda silly now. Thanks for clearing it up and sorry for the confusion. Could a mod move/delete the thread pretty please?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Polk‌

No need to be sorry. This forum is just made to make your understanding of the game easier. So, don't be afraid to ask a question or share a problem, even if it turns out not serious.

It's wonderful that you've got a quick answer;)