Skip to content

A new challenge.

Not sure if this has been mentioned by others, most likely, bit NEVER THE LESS!

I'm about to commence a no reload, max difficulty play through with one of the stock characters, Daria the mage. Good constitution and passable dex, barely strong enough to hold her toothpick though and none to sure of this whole "Leadership" thing. Wisdom is also not a thing apparently.
Has anyone had a go at this?
Any tips, strategies or ideas?

Cheers!

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Cheers guys! Excellent tips and a very helpful read! :D I'll post in the No reload challenge when I get started! :D Looks like it could be fun, as well as challenging.
    Thanks for the help! :D
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    I recommend CORE difficulty -- anything higher is just inane and does not provide a meaningful challenge.
    BUT with SCS installed for better AI -- especially since you are using a mage: it will reward intelligent play.

Specifically, I would install AI improvements, but not specific encounter improvements (arbitrarily hard sometimes) and no "casters prebuff immediately" component (too hard, unbalanced, without metagaming).

I also only play no-reload.
    I'm just download SCS now, I've never played with it before but I've heard a lot of good things.
    Yea I was wondering about the arbitrarily doubling incoming damage... sounds a little cheesy...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Sometimes the most interesting path is just in front of our noses. Thusly, most of us cannot see it. Kudos for doing otherwise, and subsequently pulling the trigger on the run. I'm looking forward to her journey.
    DISCLAIMER:
    Had you chosen Abdel Whatsisface, the above post would have read quite differently.
    Abdel was not an option. He is just very...bland to me. I may have touched the novels...
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    bengoshi said:

Hello, @CaloNord‌

AFAIK, no one has attempted such a run with a pregerated mage character. It would be fun if you share your progress with us. You can read wonderful stories of other people trying a hard run here:

[...]

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12581/the-no-reload-challenge-spoiler-warning#latest

Interesting thread. Hadn't come across it before (unlike the minimal reload challenge and the 75 roll challenge threads).

@CaloNord, looking forward to reading your about Daria's progress. :)
    I'm quoting @Ygramul's excellent groundrules for survival. Keeping them in mind may help you along the way:

A while ago, I developed some ground rules to survive no-reload -- and EVERYTIME I die it is because I have broken one of them myself:

1. Do not fight wounded. -- If a Gibberling could kill you with a critical hit with 5% chance, you WILL die after many many encounters. Similarly, do not melee with Charname if you don't have enough HP to survive a worst case blow (non-helmet classes need twice the HP buffer).

2. Scout. -- Obvious. If not metagaming, an encounter with a hostile party can go south easily if unbuffed, but become a cake walk if buffed. Especially at BGEE levels, you don't have enough spells to remain buffed to the hilt all the time. So, scout.

3. Spells: Melee Defense. -- Especially, if charname is a frontliner. If charname is a F/M or Blade almost all spells should be defensive. Load up on: Shield, Mirror Image, Blur, Wraithform, Stoneskin etc. BUT also on mage defense spells such as Minor Globe, Remove Magic etc.

4. Spells: Mage Fights. -- Most dangerous encounters by far; will end most no-reload games. In BGEE, status effects (sleep, hold, horror, web) WILL kill you. Worse yet, some mages will do clever things like:
    Minor Globe -> Web -> Fireball. (SCS mage AI is fantastic! -- and without breaking game rules; it plays close to how *you* should be playing a mage.)

So, you need to:
    - scatter the party (so that not everyone is disabled/burned by a single AoE spell)
    - carry anti-magic spells (Spell Thrust is a must in BGEE -- even necessary in BG2 because it removes Spell Immunity that SCS mages love to use)
    - Scout! and Buff! (That Web and Fireball will just tickle you, if you are buffed with Protection from Fire and Free Action)
    - strike first (since I do not allow myself to metagame, I only do this if I legitimately scouted)

5. Defense over Offense. -- Some risky strategies that let you win 1/3 times are just fine if you reload, but in a no-reload run, for every round you need to make sure that you are 0.9999 (*) likely to survive that particular round.

(*) Yes, that number is more or less accurate:
    Say, in a typical BGEE/BG2EE run you remain in combat for something like 20 hours (not including pauses), then you are in combat for a little over 10,000 rounds. With the average survival rate given above, your chances of finishing a BGEE/BG2EE no-reload run is a mere 37%. (0.9999^10000)

6. Use consumables like your life depends on them. It does.
    7. Wild Mages [theoretical] -- DO. NOT. CAST. IN. PUBLIC. Really, what are you gonna do if you get a Gate in Beregost, or a Fireball:self amid Flaming Fist headcourters. Cast only at the enemies (and do not ever buff the charname with a wild mage!)

This is just with Neera, by the way. I doubt anyone ever finished a no-reload run with a Wild Mage charname:
    Here are the odds:
    there are about ~10/100 wild surges that act as "kill the caster" at low levels (even at high levels, "Petrify:self" will usually kill you, even if you might survive a fireball to the face then) If you cast 1000 spells through a no-reload run, you will have about 50 surges and your survival chance throughout the run comes to about
    0.5% -- yep, just half a percent, even if you play an otherwise perfect game. (0.1 chance of death per surge -> 0.9^50 = 0.0052 chance of surviving 50 surges)
    \end{theorycraft}
    Cheers @Blackraven ! That guide was also very helpful! I'm going to start tomorrow most likely, work permitting. I've already posted on the no reload challenge so I'll probably just keep that one up to date rather then run this thread up to. I'm not rightly sure. Unless others want to take part as well that is probably the best place for it.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    You're welcome! Thematically it's a good thread for posting your progress. I saw it's not a very active thread, but if you're going to start posting your exciting journal in it, you'll "resurrect" it, and you might even inspire more people to experiment with interesting no-reload playthroughs. Thread-necromancy people call it :)
    (A slight disadvantage could be that if more people start posting their playthroughs in the thread, different playthroughs will be intertwined, complicating an orderly read of your playthrough. But this wouldn't a huge problem imo.)
    No it's been a little slow lately! Doesn't matter to much though, people will read it whether they reply or not! :) Hopefully it will inspire some fun for other people! :D I do enjoy the concept of No-reload. Making it somewhat more realistic on the whole.