Skip to content

Will Xzar get me through the day?

13»

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    Am I the only one who finds Quayle to be hilarious? Most people find him annoying, but I find his ridiculous boasts endlessly entertaining. Also, as a cleric/illusionist, he has great utility (despite his lousy Wisdom).

But Xzar is awesome too.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited June 2014
    I really enjoy Quayle as well. He's an under-utilized and under-appreciated NPC, I agree. SCS's feature that adds him earlier in Beregost versus chapter 5 is really nice. Although he can just be CLUAed in as well.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I ask because I simply do not know, but with Quayle being a dual class caster, doesn't bringing him onboard earlier leave him terribly weak until he has several levels under his belt? Just askin.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2014

I ask because I simply do not know, but with Quayle being a dual class caster, doesn't bringing him onboard earlier leave him terribly weak until he has several levels under his belt? Just askin.

Quayle is multi class, so no he isn't weak as he's able to throw both sleep and command at low levels.

[Edited] : Read that wrong, as you probably meant he had two casting classes. He's still strong though, both sleep, blind and command are very powerful early on.
    @SionIV - LOL. Yeah, I always mix those terms up. What I was trying to say was, at lower levels he has fewer spells and hit points. AND he levels up slowly because of the two classes. And doesn't that make him a liability at extreme low levels. But apparently not. I like sleep and command, so I appreciate the benefit of having both.

OK. thanks for enlightening me.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    And of course Quayle can heal as well. And cast Charm Person and use wands. I'd have him live a little dangerously and use Color Spray as well, but that's probably just me. It just requires some careful positioning and a meleer next to him.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455

@SionIV - LOL. Yeah, I always mix those terms up. What I was trying to say was, at lower levels he has fewer spells and hit points. AND he levels up slowly because of the two classes. And doesn't that make him a liability at extreme low levels. But apparently not. I like sleep and command, so I appreciate the benefit of having both.

OK. thanks for enlightening me.

Fewer HP than a pure cleric yes but more HP than a mage. The leveling up isn't terribly slow and with two casting classes you have more spells but at lower levels.
    @FinneousPJ - Ok, granted more hit points than a wizard. But the same armor class. Are 2-4 hit points really going to make that much difference? Particularly when, at 2 levels below the curve, it almost balances out? Again, I'm asking because I have never had Quayle in my party, and certainly not at low levels.
  • GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45

Am I the only one who finds Quayle to be hilarious? Most people find him annoying, but I find his ridiculous boasts endlessly entertaining. Also, as a cleric/illusionist, he has great utility (despite his lousy Wisdom).

But Xzar is awesome too.

I can see it being funny but my character is a stubborn dwarf... If someone constantly tells him they are better than him, they would promptly get a whooping.... He is funny... But no where near as bad as a as czars lines.... Death destroyer of worlds is my favorite battle cry. I am, thinking of using both of them... But xzar so far has been providing me with my aracane needs...

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @the_spyder Yes, I think it does balance out. Hence, it's not really inferior to a pure caster, just different.
    Good enough. thanks for the info. :)
    I wana play Time Bandits..... In BG2..... Because:

EVIL
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    Btw...I just finished Dorn's quest with Xzar in the party. He ice-chuncked the cleric with Chill Touch; that was satisfying :).
  • GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45
    thespace said:

If you're going with Quayle, take Tiax too! Their arguing banters are awesome! One of my favorite play throughs was an all shorty party led by a halfling f/t. Members included:
    Kangain - only other party member until Cloakwood mines (chose not to bother with Monteron for whatever reason) where we picked up:
    Yeslick - (who argues with Kangain) and then shortly after...
    Quayle
    Tiax
    Alora - who was kinda charname's girlfriend rp wise

A great time was had. I was bummed out when I realized there aren't enough shorty NPCs in BG2 to continue my "Time Bandits" play through with a full party.

I thought of doing this in my current playthrough ... I am running a dd dwarf... I lost kangain already and I'm far into it. Plus I couldn't give up kivan... He sort of plays the wood elf counterpart to my dwarf. Perhaps another dwarf play through I'll do a shorty... Been thinking a dwarf thief who uses crossbows....

Anyways, I am confused on something... Can I take my current party to bg2?? Or am I stuck using the bg2 NPCs... Just wondering.. Was looking to carry xzar and kivan at least to bg2

• abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Baeloth. Definitely Baeloth. He's rude in a funny way ("Eh? What do YOU want?") and is a pretty powerful sorcerer.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2014

Anyways, I am confused on something... Can I take my current party to bg2?? Or am I stuck using the bg2 NPCs... Just wondering.. Was looking to carry xzar and kivan at least to bg2

Only the protagonist carries over, not the whole party.

Some of the BG1ee NPCs can be recruited again when you meet them in BG2ee (Imoen, Minsc, Rasaad, Jaheira, Neera, Dorn, Edwin, Viconia). (Some of them have improved stats in BG2ee, but note that they don't carry over any stat improvements from the BG1ee Tomes, and they don't carry over their BG1ee inventories.)

Some of the BG1ee NPCs are met again in BG2ee but are not recruitable (Ajantis, Coran, Khalid, Faldorn, Garrick, Quayle, Safana, Montaron, Tiax, Xzar). (These have "cameo roles" in BG2ee - Coran, Faldorn, Safana and Xzar have a role in BG2ee side-quests, the others just make a brief appearance ... in a couple of cases, merely as a dead body.)

Some of the BG1ee NPCs are not in BG2ee at all (Alora, Dynaheir, Kivan, Yeslick, Branwen, Skie, Xan, Baeloth, Eldoth, Kagain, Shar-Teel).

Edit: corrected when @Quartz (below) pointed out my error.
    Post edited by Gallowglass on
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Gallowglass Minor correction, Safana makes a cameo. A very out of chracter cameo, just like the rest of them. :|
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2014
    It always brings a smile to my lips when i find Garrick outside of the Radiant Heart Headquarter.
    Quartz said:

@Gallowglass Minor correction, Safana makes a cameo.

Yes, indeed she does, my bad. I'll go back and edit my list.

• dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    Dynaheir is mentioned at the beginning by Minsc as being dead, so I guess that is something of an appearance...(usually, if I have a good party and want to use a lot of cannon party members without Dynaheir in BG, I'll have her die at some point to Rp the story).
    @dstoltzfus - it's either stated outright, or at least heavily implied that Dynaheir dies during the capture of Minsc (and Charname). With that having been said, I have several cases where my RP has trumped the actual story line so good on you.
    @dstoltzfus‌, @the_spyder - I counted as "cameos" those whom we actually see on-screen, so I included a couple whose only appearance is as a dead body, but in Dynaheir's case we're told that she recently died but we don't see the body, so I counted that as not appearing. I agree it could be argued either way, insofaras her fate is known, whereas in the other non-appearing cases their fates are not known. (I'd regard it as a "legitimate" mod to make one of the other non-appearing BG1ee NPCs re-appear in BG2ee, but a "cheating" mod to re-create Dynaheir because that'd explicitly contradict the existing story.)
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    if u like him keep Xzar
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    if u like him keep Xzar