Skip to content

Will Xzar get me through the day?

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    @the_spyder If you're talking about ADnD, then I'm not sure on that ruling. But about 3.5E, I'm pretty sure there's no such ruling.

And really, ADnD has so many contrasting rules and exceptions, it's hilarious and shouldn't really be taken seriously.

For example, ADnD says that only Humans and Half-Elves can be Druids and can only be True Neutral, right?

Well, there's an Green Elf (Wild Elf in 3E) in Elves of Evermeet (ADnD sourcebook) that is a Chaotic Neutral Druid.

Aerilaya. http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aerilaya

So really, anything the "official rules" say I take it with a grain of salt and don't focus too much of it.

When even the official sourcebooks constrast the rules, you realize how silly some of them are.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    @booinyoureyes...no. Xzar, while hilarious and great, is definitely chaotic evil and RP-wise, would only work with a good party because he's so asocially insane (thus, he'd do whatever if it met his goals, regardless of who he's with...and those goals could easy be molded to make sense because he's insane). P.S., I imagine that the idea of insanity precluding any spellcasting subsequently requires a kind of incoherency or mindlessness. While Xzar is insane, he's, most of the time, somewhat cogent (in the sense that he has innate intelligence, can draw reasonable conclusions, and follow logic), with his madness only occurring in outbursts.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Archaos - I'm not disagreeing with you that there are conflicting rules. Basically I attended a seminar with Gary and Frank WAY back in the day. They both said "Take the rules that you like and forget the rest".

As for disparities between NPCs and PCs, that can mostly be explained by saying that only certain types of characters adventure, or that the outliers are not the mainstream. Or that someone didn't read the rules before creating the character, or creative license. Or just insanity.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Rules in pencil/paper RPG books are guidelines or "generally accepted principles" rather than carved-in-stone rules to which we must all adhere all the time. Someone wants to play a non-standard character like a halfling ranger/mage? *shrug* Sure, why not? Someone else wants to play an ogre who becomes the fighter in the party? Okay...as long as they understand that for now their character will typically be asked to stay outside whatever city the party is in. Things like "but I want to play a gold dragon who walks around in human form all the time" is ridiculous and shouldn't be done unless you (as the DM) and the player can handle it.

On topic, yes--Xzar can get you through the day. NPCs are only as weak as the players playing them.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

On topic, yes--Xzar can get you through the day. NPCs are only as weak as the players playing them.

Except Rasaad

Sorry I had to ;)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited June 2014
    Quartz said:

Except Rasaad.

A little unfair.

Rasaad is only weak in BG1ee, and that's by design - the Monk class is meant to start weak and get better later, because their abilities are supposed to require long training. (The same applies to Mages, of course).

In BG2ee, Rasaad becomes a good front-line melee-fighter (mid-SoA) and then terrific (in ToB).
    Post edited by Gallowglass on

Rules in pencil/paper RPG books are guidelines or "generally accepted principles" rather than carved-in-stone rules to which we must all adhere all the time. Someone wants to play a non-standard character like a halfling ranger/mage? *shrug* Sure, why not? Someone else wants to play an ogre who becomes the fighter in the party? Okay...as long as they understand that for now their character will typically be asked to stay outside whatever city the party is in. Things like "but I want to play a gold dragon who walks around in human form all the time" is ridiculous and shouldn't be done unless you (as the DM) and the player can handle it.

Despite the 'rules' (which I can't actually quote, so they may have been in my own mind), the guy who was our DM used to occasionally play as a character. This character was an Insane Wizard who used to have endless fun turning people into colored dots. He was quite crazy. And the other DM allowed it. So.... As stated, take the rules that you like and ditch the rest.

Now that I think about it, most of the Wizards in the game are their own special brand of 'Special'.

Edwin - power mad
    Xzar - more than a bit unhinged
    Zan - delusionally depressed
    Jan - "eccentric" to say the least
    Baeloth - almost preternaturally self absorbed
    Aerie - Um.... need I say more?
    Imoen - See Aerie
    Nalia -See Imoen

I haven't played much with Dynaheir to know for sure.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Currently I have both Rasaad and Dynaheir in a good-aligned party and they are doing quite well. Rasaad found this lovely scimitar that was just lying on the ground in the open along the coast in Cloakwood and it wasn't even guarded by anything...which was odd. Dynaheir is wearing her Robe of Good Archmagi (we spent all the money we had at the time for it) and is comfortably throwing sling stones at things after opening up with her Wand of Sleep--most foes are susceptible to sleep in BG1. Her personality isn't anywhere nearly as annoying as Imoen's, Nalia's, or Aerie's. I can even stand Neera in my neutral party more than those three.

My insane mage, along with an assassin with whom he was friends in the party, captured a pirate ship and became the captains. When the crew grew to mutiny demanding more money we skinned the leader, hung the flayed skin from the mainmast, and asked anyone else if they had any complaints. No one did.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    Honestly in my Rasaad party he's a total g. He runs up and punches things to death so fast my cleric/ranger gets bored by the time she enters battle. In BG1 he was a problem though. I had to shield him 24/7

I woulda picked Cernd for a joke. I usually do. I must have like 13 posts on this forum just bashing Cernd for absolutely no reason. If he was a real person I'd feel sooooo bad.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited June 2014

Quartz said:

NPCs are only as weak as the players playing them.

A little unfair.

Rasaad is only weak in BG1ee, and that's by design - the Monk class is meant to start weak and get better later, because their abilities are supposed to require long training. (The same applies to Mages, of course).

In BG2ee, Rasaad becomes a good front-line melee-fighter (mid-SoA) and then terrific (in ToB).
    I'm currently playing a SCS game with party of four including Rasaad and I have him meleeing right alongside the others--to my surprise he's done fine throughout (now in chapter 5 with Durlag's and Ice Island completed). Is it SCS? Or that he's now a Sun Soul Monk? He seemed squishier when I first tried him at the game's release.
    Lemernis said:

Is it SCS? Or that he's now a Sun Soul Monk? He seemed squishier when I first tried him at the game's release.

or is it the fact that you have a party of 4 and are probably higher level than you would be with a party of six at the same point in the game? Just sayin.

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    @the_spyder‌, Actually, even from the very start he has been holding his own, which has surprised me.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Xzar makes the perfect wizard in my book. Sooo awsome! I imported him into my BG2 game as well. Never a dull momment. I chuckle when he still calls Jaheira a Harlot.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    Definitely Xzar. Daul him into a cleric after 5th mage level is reached.
    Lemernis said:

@the_spyder‌, Actually, even from the very start he has been holding his own, which has surprised me.

Awesome. Who knew?

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2014
    You know what they say, keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. If your character has figured out Xzar is a spy, then you can use him for your own gains as well, he's bound to share something about his employer, being all chaotic like he is. If you didn't have Xzar you would have no idea who is after you or keeping tabs on your party.

It's like keeping a poisonous snake in a room instead of out in the backyard. It's poisonous and dangerous, but at least you know where you have it.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited June 2014
    I just rolled up a prototype character and gave him Xzar's portrait. Then recruited Xzar and Montaron. The computer assigned Xzar a MUCH nicer portrait. The middle-aged guy with a fairly pleasant expression and a sort of green headgear of some kind. Looks kinda like a worldly=wise gypsy thief who could be almost any alignment, perhaps Armenian. Human probably.

Would change completely the experience of keeping Xzar as your main Mage on any playthrough. And of course, then you would change Charname's portrait back to your normal choice.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ...Armenian is an alignment?

I just rolled up a prototype character and gave him Xzar's portrait. Then recruited Xzar and Montaron. The computer assigned Xzar a MUCH nicer portrait. The middle-aged guy with a fairly pleasant expression and a sort of green headgear of some kind. Looks kinda like a worldly=wise gypsy thief who could be almost any alignment, perhaps Armenian. Human probably.

Would change completely the experience of keeping Xzar as your main Mage on any playthrough. And of course, then you would change Charname's portrait back to your normal choice.

If Xzar looked as unhinged as his portrait and said the things he did, nobody would trust him to guard a used bedpan. :s
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.