Skip to content

Mage/Thief kit

Hi, everyone. This is my first time playing bg and I'd like some advice on choosing a kit. I plan to play an elf Mage/Thief, and use eekeeper to add a kit. What I'd like to find out is whether it would be better to take a thief kit like swashbuckler, or to take a mage specialization. I like my characters to feel very mage-like, so something like illusionist or wild mage looks like fun, but the ac and thac0 bonuses from swash seem really nice. Does anybody have any advice?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    For your first time playthrough I strongly advice NOT to change anything. Just feel the game like it is.

If you want a kit, take a gnome - he'll be an illusionist/thief multiclass, a very strong character.

If you want an elf, take a vanilla mage/thief multiclass, still solid enough.

If you want a kit for a thief, take a human and dual-class him into a mage later (although for a first time playthrough I can't recommend dual-classing either).
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    ^ Solid advice.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    +1 to Gnomes. They get great save bonuses as well as the very solid Illusionist/Thief multiclass.

It does depend a little though on whether you are playing BG1 or BG2. The major disadvantage of playing a Mage/Thief in BG2:EE is that you'll be less likely to take the NPC Jan Jansen along (same multiclass combo), who may well be my favorite.

If you're willing to play through BG1:EE purely as a thief and then become a very powerful mage in BG2:EE then dual-classing a human at level 10 might be for you. You play the first game as a thief, then dual as soon as you start the second game. You'll have good thieving skills and advance pretty rapidly as a caster, getting access to high level spells before the multiclass.