Skip to content

Solo No-Reload SCS run with Vallon the Undead Hunter

BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
edited December 2014 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Hi folks! The following is a description of a solo no-reload attempt with an Undead Hunter. I felt like playing a badass warrior, and went for something new - had never played a Paladin before. There's not much to tell about him personalitywise, other than that I view him as less self-righteous than the average Paladin. Less Keldorn/Anomen and more Valygar. I'd even considered rolling a Justifier or Stalker Ranger.
Btw I’m not abandoning Serene. I will continue her run through BG2, but I first want a true no-reload character to make it there as well so that he/she can follow Serene’s footsteps.

So here’s Vallon:

This thread is strictly about strategic challenges Vallon faces in this (SCS) game. I do roleplay his alignment (Lawful Good), so no stealing evil actions for better rewards. However, Imoen has been recruited and will be recruited again for larcenous purposes :)

Yesterday was a national holiday here, so I made quite a lot of progress. In Candlekeep, Vallon bought a 2h sword and a helmet and went straight for Obe and the potion of Speed he could get from Deder. If you quaff the potion and tell Obe immediately afterward that you’ve seen enough fighting, you don’t even have to fight his Gibberlings. Hasted, all quests but Reevor’s rats were done.

Imoen gave Vallon her potions and her Wand of Magic Missiles, from Monty he got a suit of studded leather and two potions, and from Xzar he received two spells he would later sell. Vallon then continued alone, south to the High Hedge area where he dispatched a few Skeletons with little difficulty. He kept one skull. Further south he finished off a wolf, saving Melicamp the chicken. Thalantyr was able to restore Melicamp to his human form, which earned Vallon his first level up. He sold Imoen’s wand plus some other loot, and visited Beregost. There, the Marl, Firebead, and Ogrillons/Mirianne quests had Vallon reach level 3. Further south three Flaming Fist Officers who accused Vallon of banditry found their untimely deaths at his hands. Vallon donned the plate mail armor of one of them and kept two more suits he would later sell. After that, Karlat was downed as well, but not after various healing potions were consumed. That Dwarf is a sturdy little bugger.

He then traveled west to deal with Bjornin’s Half-Ogres. It was nice to see that Vallon was already able to hold his ground against those monsters, although he had to finish off the last two with his crossbow after suffering a few hits.

On the South Coast Vallon found Brage and traveled with him to Nalin in Nashkel. Vallon got to keep Brage’s Cursed Berserking sword, which would be enchanted for controlled use by Thalantyr. But first Neira was dealt with at the Nashkel Inn. Vallon knew that she wouldn’t be able to Hold him, so he was quite confident. She did cast Unholy Blight twice, but Vallon would simply step outside to prevent himself from harm.

At the Nashkel Carnival Vallon bought a green scroll of Protection from Petrification, and at Thalantyr’s he had got the “upgrade” to the Cursed Berserking sword. The new ‘Sword of Rage’ is a 2H sword +3 with a daily enrage ability. Vallon’s next destination was Mutamin’s garden, where he slew the Basilisks in melee, and protected himself against Mutamin’s spells by activating his sword’s enrage ability. Mutamin was hasted and therefore difficult to hit, but a critical did him in.

When he was done, Vallon was close to level 6. Kirian & co, were left alone for the time being. Instead Vallon traveled to the Temple of Lathander area, where he slew a number of different types of Wolves, including Vampiric Wolves, to reach level 6. After it, Vallon considered the time ripe to go Ankheg hunting. He cleared the cave without difficulty, found a Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy in it, brought Brun his son’s body, and gave the farmer 100 GP. Outside, Vallon’s run almost ended when he was up against two Ankhegs. He had just quaffed a healing potion when both Ankhegs started hitting himwith their acid spit. Having just drank the healing potion, he had to wait before he could drink his next potion, one of invisibility. He barely made it in time, at 4 HP. He rested elsewhere, found the two Ankhegs again, and slew them.

Vallon kept one of the Ankheg shells and got a suit of Ankheg scale armor produced by Taerom Fuiruim. In the tenday he had to wait for it, Vallon slew Greywolf in the Nashkel Mines area, and did the quests in the two Cloudpeaks areas, including taking on Vax and Zal, Sendai & co (one of them dropped the Boots of Grounding), and Caldo and Krumm. He also returned to the South Coast, where he helped Nib and faced the Doomsayer. The latter was a formidable foe who had Vallon quaff all his healing potions, circa 10, before he would fall.

When he got his Ankheg Armor Vallon decided to test Bassilus’ mettle. With his sword’s enrage ability activated, which protected him from a Mental Domination, Vallon had no difficulty with the the priest. (I overwrote the screenshot.) Vallon also took care of Zargal and his two buddies. Funnily Zardal’s sword shattered, but that wouldn’t keep the brave Hobgoblin from attacking:

On the North Coast both Droth and Shoal were felled. Droth is a dangerous foe who can cast Chaos among other spells, but with Vallon’s sword’s rage, Droth became much more manageable. The North Coast’s many Ogres and their ilk, weren’t a real threat anymore at this stage of Vallon’s growth as warrior.

He had a much harder time in the Light House area though, where the six “enhanced” Sirines (inclusing Sil), and two Hamadryads and their Water Weirds were difficult for him to overcome, even with a green scroll of Protection from Magic to protect himself against Blindness and Charms and against the random traps in the treasure cave. Without the scroll he probably would have had to flee the scene. The Improved Invisible Sirines would walk away all the time, in order to attack with their arrows of biting. Perseverance, healing potions and antidotes, and spreading his foes by entering the cave, helped Vallon through the ordeal. Inside, one of the Flesh Golems brought Vallon’s health to dangerously low levels, but an invisibility potion and subsequent healing helped him restore his health.

Vallon traveled to Beregost where he finished off Silke in close combat, again relying on Rage.

I must say that the Sword makes life for Vallon quite a bit easier. Vallon buys or otherwise acquires all anti-magic potions (Shielding, Blocking, Protection) and scrolls he can get his hands on (only two so far: one at Thalantyr’s and one from Hafiz the Gnome). The sword’s enrage ability has allowed Vallon to take on a few optional foes, such as Droth for his Helmet of Defense and Silke, and to save some of his anti-magic consumables for later. Other players could use the Greenstone Amulet for this purpose; I usually can’t find it due to Item Randomization..
After he was done with Silke, he decided to further train himself as an Undead Hunter (for max XP, and level 8) before tackling the plot quests. Vallon traveled to the Valley of the Tombs (i.e. Nashkel Mines exit), where a potion of heroism and his replenished stock of healing potions helped him best the Revenant. Narcillicus and his Mustard Jellies caused Vallon quite some trouble. A potion of magic blocking helped gave him three round of protection the wizard’s spells, but his Jellies slowed Vallon, causing him to retreat. Only Narcillicus followed, and was dealt with in melee. He rested and slew the Jellies the next day in melee (so that their spit wouldn’t hit him).

The other undead in the area caused Vallon no trouble, and it was after slaying a Ghast that Vallon reached level 8 (his highest level for BG1, as I will respect the XP cap, even though it’s removed).

Vallon’s last mission before tackling the Nashkel Mines was Gullykin and the dungeon beneath it. His only potion of magic shielding was used against the dungeon’s wizards. Between Lendarn and the Ogre Mage, the latter was the first to fall. He was stuck between his Ogrillon minions, a wall and Vallon, so there was no escaping for the mage who, conveniently, dropped a suit of full plate mail. Lendarn did hurt Vallon with a few of his spells, (Cones of Cold and Melf’s Minute Meteors) but he would fall to Vallon’s blade just the same. Gandolar Luckyfoot was thankful and gave his ‘lucky ring0 (+1 Luck) to Vallon.

Vallon traveled to the High Hedge where he bought ten bolts of biting. Unfortunately there weren’t any more of the bolts for sale. He also acquired the Claw of Kazgaroth in case the Kobolds’ arrows would hurt him. (Vallon didn’t use a shield, and he hadn’t found the Elves’ Bane girdle or the Boots of Avoidance yet.)

The Nashkel Mines have three difficult parts: the bridge on the third level (where a character can get stuck, surrounded by a horde of the somewhat tough SCS Kobolds), the exit from the third to the fourth/final level, and Mulahey’s lair. On the bridge Vallon lured a few of the Kobolds his way, to see how their arrows did against him without the Claw of Kazgaroth. It turned out that he didn’t need the Claw, so he proceeded to slay all the Kobolds that crossed his path.
Near the level 3 exit more Kobolds fell to Vallon’s blade, until he faced the Kobold Chieftain and a Kobold Shaman. The Chieftain attakcs with extremely poisonous arrows, so Vallon decided to administer his foe a dose of its own medicine, with a bolt of biting. The Kobold Shaman injured Vallon with his spells (Chromatic Orbs, Magic Missiles), albeit slightly. He too got served a bolt of biting. The remainder of the battle consisted in Vallon slaying the Kobold without meeting much resistance.
Mulahey received two of the same bolts, and was annihilated in melee. He wouldn’t cast a single spell (other than his SCS-provided insta-cast spells). Mulhey’s Kobolds and Skeletons presented no real challenge. In terms of useful gear the loot was meagre this time: except for the decent Barcers of Archery that Vallon kept, only two enchanted short swords and a few spells he would sell.

In Nashkel, enraged Vallon slew Nimbul, and took his Boots of Avoidance. The Item Randomizer hasn’t been overly generous with Vallon, which caused him to seek out the likes of Borda near the Xvart village (someone I always skip), to see if he would drop something special. First however, Vallon had to fight Molkar & co in a very cramped area. Enraged, he withstood any mind-affecting magic, though Drakar’s Unholy Blights did do some damage. After a long fight, especially with Drakar and Morvin (who seemed to be the toughest meleers), Vallon was the only one standing.

The Xvarts and Borda were dealt with after that, but they didn’t drop any interesting loot. So Vallon returned to Beregost, where he took care of Tranzig. Enraged Vallon was very content to see the mage drop the Golden Girdle.
He proceeded to the Larswood where Lamalha and her girls ambushed him. They were less difficult to deal with than Molkar & co. Vallon first focused his efforts on the casters. The rogues had darts of stunning, but those wouldn’t affect Vallon since he’s immune to Hold (and in my setup that includes Stun but not Web).

He cleared the Larswood of its bandits but noticed that they were better archers than the kobolds, so he equipped the Claw of Kazgaroth for its bonus to AC against missiles. In Peldvale he slew a few more bandits until he was approached by Raiken, through whom he infiltrated the Bandit Camp.
Tazok wasn’t fought his time, since Vallon still hadn’t acquired the Boots of Speed. (I only attack him with Boots of Speed and an oil of speed.) It cost him the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise. Vallon didn’t bother with the many chests; he went straight for Tazok’s tent. Before entering he quaffed potions of invisibility, cloud giant strength, speed, and power (in that order), and he cast Protection from Evil on himself. Inside he moved to the west side of the tent, just within visual range of Venkt the wizard. He then activated his sword’s rage ability, and attacked Venkt with a bolt of biting, that poisoned the wizard. One or two more regular bolts finished him off. The others were fought with relative ease, until Vallon was the last one standing, with only moderate injuries. He healed himself, spoke with Ender Sai, drank a potion of absorption and opened the chest, which contained little more than a couple of spells. Again, not the richest possible harvest, although one of the bandit’s Long Bow of Marksmanship is a nice weapon.
Outside, still well-buffed, Vallon slew Taugosz for his full plate and for an enchanted large shield, took down many bandits for their scalps and Ardenor who had appeared out of nowhere and who would drop a Tome of what turned out to be Charisma, much to Vallon’s surprise. He left when the resistance was becoming too strong.

Vallon went to the Friendly Arm Inn to get some loot identified, and to sell it, and then he invited Imoen for a visit to the Nashkel Carnival, she would greatly enjoy. There she looted two chests from the merchant who sells the red and the violet potion. Potions of fire giant strength, invisibility and speed, amongst others, would greatly help in later battles. Imoen barely escaped being caught by the guards.

The pair also made a trip to Durlag’s Tower (upper floors). The Battle Horrors failed to hit Vallon, which gives hope for the Davaeorn fight, although Vallon also had difficulty hitting them. Inside Durlag’s Tower Ghouls fell to Vallon’s blade, and Kirinhale was pursued in vain (she kept going ethereal every time Vallon would close in on her). The trip provedvery worthwhile though, as it yielded Vallon a Greenstone Amulet, and a (randomized) Manual of Bodily Health, with which he raised his CON to 20. Not as good as a Manual of Gainful Exercise, but still pretty neat.
I’m now inclined to keep the Claw of Kazgaroth equipped on Vallon: I think relinquishing 8 HP and accepting the Save vs Paralyze/Death/Poison penalty is worth it for the AC and saves bonuses. Is there a specific threat other than Spiders and their Poisons that I should be wary of?

In the Cloakwood Vallon sided with Seniyad, and with a potion of free action he retrieved Spiders’ Bane for himself and Chelak’s body for Tiber. The druids were left in peace. Wyverns were luredout a cave and pelted with bolts for their skulls. Outside the Cloakwood Mines, Vallon quaffed two potions of Magic Protection, which granted him 100% Magic Resistance. He also used a scroll of Champion’s Strength he had bought at one of the Temples. The warriors were no match for Vallon, but as usual, the Mages were more difficult to deal with. When Vallon pierced their protections (Stoneskins, Mirror Images), they would go invisible and reluctant to show themselves. Both Vallon and Rezdan were struck by lightning. The latter even died due to it. Kysus became visible once, noticed how Vallon’s bolts were stripping him of his protections and went invisible again. He would only reveal himself after Vallon’s first potion of magic protection expired, very clever enemy AI. Kysus immediately cast a Chaos in Vallon’s direction, but timely acitivation of his sword’s rage ability, prevented the spell from affecting him. Vallon slew his foe with a nice critical.

Vallon is now preparing to enter the Cloakwood Mines.
Post edited by Blackraven on
CrevsDaakRavenslightGoturalJuliusBorisovlunarlolienjackjackSionIVMacHurtoFredjoDexterFinaLfrontchickenhedBelgarathMTHElrandir

Comments

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    By the way, are you playing completionist?

How do you handle traps then?
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    See, this is why I fail a no reloads these days.

I just can't justify my characters (save for the rare ranger) just wandering off the beaten path to areas I know are good XP but little threat (sirines, bassaliks). So they go to Candlekeep, get turned back, head to the Friendly Arm Inn, look dubiously at Khalid and Jaheira, then storm the mine and get killed by SCS kobolds solo at level 1/2.

It's not pretty.

But cheers for you, however you do it. Good luck with the SCS chapter battles!
    RavenslightCrevsDaakElrandir
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    @Blackraven‌
    Indeed: I did finish BG (original) twice as no-reload -- I am confident that I can again.
    Problem is when you try to act heroic on the front lines...

(The Fallen Ranger story was an interesting one... what a bummer.)
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovRavenslightlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    All hail the glorious Vallon! His selfie shows this lad can already take ToB alone;) What godly stats they are!

It's been a real flawless run, congratulations!
    RavenslightjackjacklolienGotural
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I feel that Aerie fits more, since she's a chorister bard. Kivan just doesn't have any reason for him to be in a "Holy knights!" kind of party. Great stuff, though!
    BlackravenlolienRavenslight
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    My condolences... Vallon was doing so well, too... *sighs*
    jackjackBlackravenJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Tactics/SCS's Improved de'Arnise Keep is quite deadly, I have the habit to do it after most quests (but before destroying the Cult of the Eyeless Beholder or however it is called).
    I tend to abuse of all the Potions of Invisibility you can get in Chapter 2 and 3 for this fight, and backstab/attack those that are immune to death. With my Mage solo run, I used several Lower Resistance on Tor'Gal and then Skull Trap'd him to death. My Fighter/Thief solo tanked the whole fight dual-wielding DoE and FoA, and gulp'd around 10 Potions for pre-buffing.
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Thanks for your sympathies everyone.
    @CrevsDaak, yes I really missed invisibility here.. lol sometimes I think traps and backstabbing is all I'm good at in this game ;) Good to know that TorGal has high MR...
    lolienCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Blackraven