Skip to content

How's the Jaheira romance? (Including ToB)

Trying to pick between her and Aerie. I know the cliffnotes of Aerie's romance (baby) but nothing about Jaheira's. Is it good?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Jaheira's is definitely the most immersive, and most like actual love (versus infatuation, lust, etc.), lol.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If you decide to do it without mods, then you'll need to wait quite a while and rest outside at some points. The dialogue advances by time played rather than in-game days, so leave the game paused while you go to the shops or cook dinner to advance it if you plan on completing the game quickly. There are also a couple of event that only trigger on resting outdoors, which you'll do rarely in BG2. If you've not had a dialogue in a while then sleep in the Druid Grove.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Sergio No you are certainly not the only one, and I'm pretty sure we're here to talk about a video game, not personal morals, in this subforum. I might be more up to talking about this had the subject not already been beaten into the ground many, many times before.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Jaheira's romance is probably the most indepth of all the romances that aren't mods. She's true to character, her romance is tied very well with her personal quests, she shows growth and development through it all, and overall she's what I feel is a very good character- dynamic, but stubborn in her beliefs, and she feels like an *equal* to CHARNAME, which is something I specifically like. Aerie and Anomen rely a lot on CHARNAME, and VIconia switches to relying on him and then spurning him, but Jaheira remains at his side as an equal throughout, I think, while Anomen and Aerie don't really come to that point until ToB.

Yet for me, it's just too soon after Khalid. So even though I consider her the best written romance, I don't often romance her; I liked Khalid too much, and I adored their relationship in various BG1 mods. (And to be fair, her romance deals with the Khalid subject- she has bad dreams of him disapproving of the relationship, then good dreams of him urging her to move on with you.) Still, if you like Jaheira, I don't think you can go wrong with her romance, despite my hesitations.

Personally, I dream of making a mod that allows a friendship path with Jaheira, where you could do her quests and have discussions about her husband and her moving on and her past without romancing her. But, uh, NPC mods come first. >.>
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited June 2014
    I like to base my romances based on my alignment.
    For example, with my Cavalier, I chose Aerie. And I think she's actually quite cute.
    I haven't romanced Jaheira yet but I will on my Neutral playthrough perhaps.
    Though Neera seems fun.

Not every romance needs to be super down to earth and normal. Different people carry different baggage.

With Aerie you get the romantic cutie. That actually toughens up, you have a baby and she's very loving.
    With Jaheira you get a more down to earth romance. Something like more mature and motherly girlifriend I think.
    With Viconia you get the hot bitch that you tame. She also opens and softens up.

Honestly, I didn't regret romancing Aerie. I watched her evolve from the scared kitten to the loving and confident mother.
  • contowncontown Member Posts: 84
    Isn't it impossible to *possible Viconia spoilers*

Stay with Viconia? She was my first impulse until I heard that, even in ToB, she decides it'll never work and leaves you. Even if it's well done, it wouldn't be very satisfying for me.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    @contown‌

In the end of Viconia's romance in SoA, you have to tell her "But I need you here in the party, even if we are not together... I cannot succeed without your strength."

If you say so, Viconia will stay and not go. She'll say: "It shall be... difficult to stay by your side, but I will. But there is nothing further between us... and we part once your task is complete. This is the way it must be, if I am to help you. I... am sorry, . In my own way, I do... love you. Let us go now and put this behind us."

If you choose any other answer during that talk, she'll go.

So, choose your words carefully and the she'll stay with you. The same is right for ToB - choose right answers and everything will be fine.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    its good in my opinion

also for what its worth I had some bugs with Aerie when I played so I don't know if that's something to consider
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Sergio said:

Forth, she won't trouble you with a story where she will ask you for your compassion, like if you are a doctor going around and you have the master of puppets aerie that will try to bind you though a child, and Jaheira that actually tries to backstab you when going to the harper compound - as if she didn't knew harper were control freak

???

Harpers are meddlers, yes, but their most passionately held belief is, and I quote, “"All beings should walk free of fear, with the right to live their lives as they wish.”"

They're champions of freedom. What happened in that compound was pretty much the antithesis of what they're supposed to be, which is why Jaheira was so freaked out about it.

You can't really blame her for that. Unless you're playing evil, I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Sergio said:

Viconia is actually the best romance for a series of reasons.

First, she doesn't manipulate you like Aerie...

I strongly disagree.

Viconia flirts very aggressively. She persists that you have a desire for her even if you tell her no, and spins lies around herself to control how you feel about her. Not to mention she's mentally abusive--one moment she'll be a complete bitch to you for no good reason, and the next she'll apologize and act all sweet...only to stomp you into the ground again on the next dialogue.

Once you get past the psycho-chick act, sure, she warms up to you... But until then, she is the cookie-cutter example of all abusive girlfriends. Cunning, cruel, and very manipulative.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Viconia is sort of meant to be cunning, cruel and manipulative though, @Nonnahswriter. It's one of the major facets of her character and background, and getting past it is her the bulk of her character development.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2014
    I'll take Viconia over Aerie any day of the week.

I'll also take a mentally abusive girlfriend over a whiner when it comes to real life.

Abuse me as much as you want, but the moment you start whining constantly over how hard your life is, the door is right over there.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I wouldn't date any of these women in real life.
    Corvino said:

Viconia is sort of meant to be cunning, cruel and manipulative though, @Nonnahswriter. It's one of the major facets of her character and background, and getting past it is her the bulk of her character development.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't deny that's how she's meant to be. But to suggest that she "doesn't manipulate you," is just foolish.
    Sergio said:

Sergio said:

Viconia is actually the best romance for a series of reasons.

First, she doesn't manipulate you like Aerie...

I strongly disagree.

Viconia flirts very aggressively. She persists that you have a desire for her even if you tell her no, and spins lies around herself to control how you feel about her. Not to mention she's mentally abusive--one moment she'll be a complete bitch to you for no good reason, and the next she'll apologize and act all sweet...only to stomp you into the ground again on the next dialogue.

Once you get past the psycho-chick act, sure, she warms up to you... But until then, she is the cookie-cutter example of all abusive girlfriends. Cunning, cruel, and very manipulative.
    you are describing the 99% of all the girls I've met
    That's rather unfortunate. Sorry to hear that.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Aerie over Viconia, as I'm a sadist, not masochist.

Or... well, no, what I mean is the stuff about her constantly whining simply isn't true. People, especially when they've been through the terrible kind of traumas Aerie has, get depressed and feel unhappy sometimes, and when they do they can be snappy, etcetera. But Aerie gets over it, becomes happy, and then is completely devoted to you. As a man gets older he realises that what he really wants who will stand by and take care of him whenever he gets a sniffle.

That said, I often play with a female PC now just to avoid the romances. I just feel now that the whole mega-powerful evil sorcerer trying to become a god and all the other stuff going on should be taken care of before I start worrying about love or anything.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    edited June 2014
    As I normally play female I have limited experience with it but I have played male pcs occasionally for a change if nothing else. That said I find the Jaheira romance borderline creepy because I always thought of her as a mother figure to Charname in the shock of Gorion's death. And having my favorite character from BG1 killed off just so you can get together with his widow was salt to the wound.

Edit: As for Aerie and Viconia I don't use Vicky often since I find it hard to play with evil characters, and I honestly like Aerie and often have to force myself not to take her no matter what gender my pc is. XD If I don't force myself to use different characters my party will almost always end up Aerie, Anomen, Haer'Dalis, Imoen, and Nalia... (Replace Nalia with Xan if mods are involved)
  • contowncontown Member Posts: 84
    So I heard Viconia's romance ending in ToB isn't a happy one... Is that true? Sad romance endings are painful. If her ending is sad, any mods or something to make it happier?
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    annoying and manipulative