Skip to content

Helm of Balduran: Killing Degrodel

Hey,

Currently trying to finish the Helm of Balduran quest in Bauldur's Gate. So... I'm in his house, I give him the helmet, at which point he sets his minions on me and tries to bounce. Apparently, if I kill him before he leaves I can get the helmet back. Problem is (and I've done this fight 4 times now) I can get a few hits in on him, but at some point he basically disappears into thin air and I get a "Target Lost" in my status box. I guess this means he managed to leave the house, which I find hard to believe seeing as he wasn't even remotely close to any doors I can see. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated on how I can stop this dude. Thanks.

Comments

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    He tries to leave the area when you give him the helm. If he is blocked then eventually the engine gives up and just removes him. So you will have to be quick if you want it back! Make sure you have all your players in the same room before handing over the helmet. The moment you give him it back, pause the game and set everyone to attack. Perhaps others will have better tips.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    1) Wand of paralyzation

2) Set traps around him before talking. As soon as you attack him afterwards he'll be dead in 1 second.

3) Make your thief invisible, position him right at the back of Degrodel, pause the game, give your thief an order to attack him, wait one second, talk to Degrodel by any other character. As soon as the dialog is ended, your thief should deliver a devastating blow.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Can't you just enter the Helm and Cloak inn, disarm the trap, lockpick it, loot the Helm, and go away happily, without even bothering to start the entire quest chain? Like in the original?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    But meta!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Have one person in stealth behind him. Talk to him and then block him from moving and have your thief backstab him?
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    What I did was just Haste everyone and attack him as soon as the dialogue ended.
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116

Can't you just enter the Helm and Cloak inn, disarm the trap, lockpick it, loot the Helm, and go away happily, without even bothering to start the entire quest chain? Like in the original?

I think if you follow the quest through you get the breadcrumbs to go find the cloak as well.