Skip to content

Experience Points: How Does the Game Distribute Them?

Hey,

So... up until this point I was under the impression that XP gets distributed evenly among each party member. Evidently, this seems to not be the case as I was looking through all my people trying to determine who the next person to level was going to be and I noticed that Khalid had more XP then Imoen (roughly 90,000 to 88,000) despite the fact that Imoen has been around longer and I've never removed her from the party. I think it's fair to say that Khalid has had more kills then Imoen, so maybe that factors into it somehow? It's nothing I'm all that concerned about, but just curious about the game's mechanics. Thanks.

Comments

• CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    Your original assumption was correct, xp is distributed evenly. Khalid probably had more xp than Imoen already when you recruited him.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    The person in the leader position actually gets +10% XP, or so I've heard. I think it even applies to solo runs, so actually get 110% XP. I've never tested that, but CHARNAME always seems to have more XP.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Doesn't the party leader receive extra XP?
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    Dead characters still get xp, I think. I know I've had characters leveling up after being raised, more than once. (Ah, dragon fights...)
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2014
    Cherudek said:

Dead characters still get xp, I think. I know I've had characters leveling up after being raised, more than once. (Ah, dragon fights...)

They don't, unless the quest experience from BG2 somehow works on dead people as well.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I've recently been playing BG2:EE with BG1 party members imported through multiplayer. Both my charname and Kivan started off with the exact same amount of XPs, but my charname soon surpassed him with XPs, even though Kivan was never dead or out of my party during that time.

So at least in BG2:EE, it seems that charnames do get more XP than party members, for whatever reason.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153

I've recently been playing BG2:EE with BG1 party members imported through multiplayer. Both my charname and Kivan started off with the exact same amount of XPs, but my charname soon surpassed him with XPs, even though Kivan was never dead or out of my party during that time.

So at least in BG2:EE, it seems that charnames do get more XP than party members, for whatever reason.

I've noticed a few quests award more experience to the PC. I'm not sure how many, or what the final total might be, but I don't think it ever adds up to a lot (10K a couple times?)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    What @Chnapy‌ says is definitely true. I started a game with 6 PC characters at 0 XP and the people in the front quickly started to get more xp than the people in the back.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @Tresset, @TJ_Hooker also said that one month ago in this same discussion:
    TJ_Hooker said:

I don't think the leader gets an XP bonus. I think the leader ends up with more due to the way the game handles remainders from the division of XP. I believe that in cases where the XP gain is not evenly divisible by the number of people in the part, the remainders are distributed in a 'trickle down' manner. So if there is a remainder of 1, the party leader gets an extra XP. If the remainder is 2, the first two characters get an extra XP, etc. Over the course of the game people higher up in the party order end up with a bit more XP.

Doesn't he deserve a promote too ?
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Evenly it is. But if you have multiclass character, one multiclass character, is treated as if it had been 2 or 3 different characters. Gets half (or 1/3) xp in comparison to a single or dual class one.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Erg‌ Why not? I'm actually surprised he didn't have one until now.