Skip to content

Main Plot-Breaking Bug

ggraceannmggraceannm Member Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
**SPOILERS**

I'm assuming that the Windspear Hills Quest is part of the main quest, as I received it through that, but I haven't finished BGII so I don't know of course haha

Anyway, I completed the quest to rescue Garren Windspear's child from Firkraag's dungeon place. The wizard is killed, I had the fun repartee with Firkraag, the kid's out, and my journal says something along the lines of "The kid is rescued. You should probably get out of here, since Firkraag's not a fan. All that's left now is to go back to Garren's cabin."

When I return to Garren's cabin, his son is there and says something along the lines of "Thanks but life still isn't easy" etc. But his dad's not there. This is clearly a bug or a malfunction with my game, as I read online Garren's supposed to be there and thank you profusely and give you a boatload of gold and EXP.

I've reloaded from previous points in the quest and recompleted it - he's still not there. I've left the area, come back, slept, everything, but no matter what, Garren's just not in his cabin.

I would LOVE some help, and I'm really frustrated with it and would love to complete the quest, as the gold and EXP are much-needed, especially after the time put into the dang thing.

Thanks so much to whoever can help me out! Let me know if you need screenshots or the like.

I found this discussion with my issue in it (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/31880/dupe-garren-windspear-not-present-at-end-of-windspear-quest) but even in the reposted thread I couldn't seem to find any solution.

I also saw this suggestion:
Troodon80 said:

@Micalabre, remarkably, I cannot find him anywhere. Your only option, I'm afraid, is to use the console to spawn him.
C:CreateCreature("GARREN")

But I have no knowledge about computers and I have no idea how to go about this. I'm running the game on a Mac, if that helps. It was purchased through the App Store.

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited June 2014
    Windspear Hills is not actually a main quest objective. Its only link to the main quest is that you can get gold from it once the entire quest has been completed, the gold can then be used to further the main quest. Gold can be obtained in numerous other ways.

The solution that you saw was to use the CLUAConsole (it was also my suggestion, apparently). In order to set up the console, you need to follow the steps located here in the first post. Since you are using a Mac, replace the "C:\User\My Documents" with the personal/documents folder that Mac uses. Once you find the location of the baldur.ini file, edit in the 'Debug Mode' line as stated in that post. If you need a breakdown of the details, someone with a Mac (perhaps @CrevsDaak) can help with instructions.

Edit: you will not need to restart with a new game, but you will need to restart the BG2:EE application and reload your saved game.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The baldur.ini is in Users/URUSER/Documents/Baldur's Gate II Enhaced Edition/baldur.ini.