Skip to content

What in the 9 hells is this?

2»

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @Metalloman‌ Ohh I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who loves this old classic! It's such a master piece! :D Get on it Beamdog!! :P
    Metalloman
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Are you kidding me?! @CaloNord‌ That's my favorite game of all time! I've probably lost 1000+ hours in it. I've pretty much wrecked two copies of the xbox version (from playing so much), and when I get a good gaming PC, it'll be my first purchase.
    CaloNordErgBlackraven
    Hehehe! @Elrandir‌ Me to! Spent countless hours wandering around Morrowind. Oblivion was good to, smaller in scale but with more graphical detail. I still prefer Morrowind though. :) Call me sentimental. ;) I want a windows XP high powered gaming computer for all my favorites. :P
    ElrandirErg
    With updated graphics and smoother gameplay (not necessarily any changes, just additional smoothness, better flow of animations and that sort of thing), I'd honestly consider Morrowind da** near perfect. The main story wasn't spectacular, but there's so many good stories and interesting details, combined with the sheer amount of content that is in the game that I find it one of the most engaging and incredible journeys you can go on. BG1&2 are great games, but Morrowind is the best da** game ever. But, y'know, personal opinion. =p
    CaloNordErg
    That's what I mean though, the sheer scale is just beautiful. The fact that after many years I can still wander around aimlessly and see things I never saw before! Or just die horribly. I loved the fact it didn't hold any punches with that damn level scaling thing they put into Oblivion. The number of times I've just been killed, by a random encounter. . . brilliant. :)
    I need to be able to agree multiple times forum! MULTIPLE TIMES!
    :):)
    ElrandirErg
    After 1000+ hours, countless new characters, completing almost every quest-line, reading at least 50% of all the books, reading the wiki (UESP) till my eyes bleed, and generally exploring everything I can, I STILL find new things!
    CaloNordJuliusBorisovErgBlackraven
    @Elrandir‌ Lets start a Morrowind fan club. <3 Hahaha I just sit here and stare happily at Seyda Neen and listen to that amazing intro music.
    Also, a blast from the past. . .

"You SWIT!"
    "You N'WAH!!"
    ElrandirJuliusBorisovErgBlackraven
    Best insults ever. I need to start calling people Swits.
    CaloNordJuliusBorisovErg
    I still do! ;) It's like talking in German with each other. No one here knows what you're saying and you can say whatever you want to. ;) Wonder how many Dunmer words there are. . . :P
    Elrandir
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    CaloNord said:

"You SWIT!"
    "You N'WAH!!"

I love Morrowind, despite his contradictions, like when one of my characters was Patriarch of the Tribunal Temple and this Ordinator comes near and says "We're watching you, scum".
    CaloNordElrandir
    @Erg‌ HAHAHA! Oh I had the image of the Pope. . . passing a Swiss Guard. "We're watching you, scum." Oblivion fixed oddities like that but Oblivion was just. . . missing something. The magic wasn't the same as Morrowind, at least not for me. Morrowind was just majestic. With a couple of texture mods it's pretty good even by modern standards. :)
    Erg
    Admittedly, I loved Oblivion's magic combat system. You could cast a spell anytime. No need to switch to magic, no need to unequip your shield, nothing. It was awesome.
    JuliusBorisovErgCaloNord
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Elrandir said:

Admittedly, I loved Oblivion's magic combat system. You could cast a spell anytime. No need to switch to magic, no need to unequip your shield, nothing. It was awesome.

Yep, one of the few things that Oblivion did better than Morrowind.

The biggest difference between the magic systems in Oblivion and Morrowind is real time magicka regeneration in the former. It allows to cast spells much more frequently. In Morrowind even with a pure mage I always end up using much more the combat skills and levelling them much faster.

Also the Atronach birthsign was clearly overpowered in Morrowind, so much so that it was the only possible choice for powerplayers. In fact not only you get an huge bonus on the maximum amount of magicka, but actually you can regenerate magicka faster thanks to spell absorption and ending up casting more often instead of less. In Oblivion is much less appealing because it really penalise you a lot.
    CaloNordElrandir
    I'm a fence sitter here. I liked the fact that in Morrowind as a wizard I had to be well prepared, I got a chance to use my alchemical skill to make dozens of magicka potions before I went out. It was a great chance to actually use my skills! :)

I liked that my magicka didn't regen of its own accord. I did like the Oblivions easy of use type magic system though! But for me, Morrowind is still hands down superior! :) Oblivion had a smaller focus but did what it did do fairly well.
    ErgElrandir
    I'm going to have to agree with Erg on the mana regen thing. I think it shouldn't be TOO quickly, but I would prefer having it. When I get the game on PC one day, I'll probably download a mana regen mod.

As for Atronach being OP, I don't really know about that. In some ways you're right, but if you're not playing a naturally magical race it's kind of wasted. It was really good if you played a completely non-magical class, though. Made your warrior or rogue that much more immune to magic.

Of course I still can't pass up the Lady birthsign. 90% of my characters had and have that sign. +25 permanent endurance AND personality?! So good.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    You guys do know that in a fully modded morrowind (this involves the exe patching as well), you can cast spells like you do in Oblivion, right? Just hit a keyboard key. >.>

Fully modded Morrowind is possibly the greatest thing ever, and I remain stubborn in my belief that Julan is one of the best romance mods ever made. Just, uh, be prepared for the inevitable screaming arguments. Oh, Julan.
    Erg
    @Twani‌ I haven't played with Julan (due to only having the Xbox version), but I've seen a bit of him (and read some very long summaries/reviews) and he totally does look like an INCREDIBLE mod. And hey, screaming happens even in healthy relationships in real life occasionally, so the fact that you have those is kind of a good thing.

You can cast like that with a fully modded Morrowind?! Nifty. I wonder how the animations look.