Skip to content

How do you feel about Shar-Teel's weapon profs?

SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
Overall, I think that the devs did a good job of transitioning from the broader weapon categories of BG1 to the more specific ones of BG2. But Shar-Teel's case is one that raises some questions and eyebrows, since the devs obviously decided to do a bit of experimenting with her.

Personally, I'm torn on what to think. On one hand, we now have a high strength NPC who can effectively wield the dagger of venom, and an evil (non-ranger) duel wielder. On the other hand, it could easily be argued that the points are too widely dispersed, and undermine the ability to give her extra "+"s in any one weapon, which is supposed to be one of the main advantages to a fighter.

If you don't like Shar-Teel's weapon profs, how would you have preferred to see them distributed?

EDIT: For the record, here is how Shar-Teel's profs are currently distributed.

+ long swords
+ daggers
++ dual wielding
with an added + in crossbows if you get her at a higher level.

In the original BG1, she started off with ++ each in large and small swords, with additional +s added to "missile weapons" at higher levels.
  1. How do you feel about Shar-Teel's weapon profs?46 votes
    1. I like having an NPC with unique and offbeat profs
      47.83%
    2. WTF?? They totally ruined them!!!
      10.87%
    3. I'm torn on what to think
      23.91%
    4. Your results. Give them to me. Now.
      17.39%
Post edited by SharGuidesMyHand on

Comments

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    May I ask you edit your post to include her proficiencies please ? I don't remember them.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I dual her to a thief, so it's pretty much perfect.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @SharGuidesMyHand‌ I edited your OP to include a reminder of what Shar-Teel's Proficiencies are when you recruit her. I hope you don't mind.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Gotural‌

Also her original BG1 proficiencies were

Level 2

Large Swords **
    Small Swords **

Level 4

Large Swords **
    Small Swords **
    Missile Weapons *

Level 6

Large Swords **
    Missile Weapons **
    Small Swords **

As for the topic at hand none of the options in the poll work for me.

The direction they took with Shar-Teel gives you a choice over what weapons you want her to specialize in. She is now one of the few warrior NPC's that start with any points in two-weapon style (and she is the only one who can get mastery with a weapon while having ** in two-weapon style). Apart from the differences in her strength (compared to Minsc) her proficiency with a weapon is the same as Minsc's is when it comes to dual wielding (at the lowest level he starts with only * in maces and Kivan doesn't start with proficiency in any one handed weapon).

Given the much more restrictive weapon proficiency choices provided in BG2 compared to BG1 I think they made the right call when it came to her proficiencies.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Gotural said:

May I ask you edit your post to include her proficiencies please ? I don't remember them.

Fixed!

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Tresset said:

@SharGuidesMyHand‌ I edited your OP to include a reminder of what Shar-Teel's Proficiencies are when you recruit her. I hope you don't mind.

I wouldn't have minded, except that it appears that any edits that you made didn't save - perhaps because I was editing the post at the very same time?

Tresset said:

I wouldn't have minded, except that it appears that any edits that you made didn't save - perhaps because I was editing the post at the very same time?
    Nah they saved (I know because I saw them) you just would have overwritten them with your edit.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I actually have the power to restore my edit over yours if you wanted... It is formatted just like elminster did his. (Being a mod is fun!)
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Thanks ! I think the original distribution is fine, you can clearly see a dual wielding fighter, but I don't understand the reasoning behind the Crossbow proficiency at higher level
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    edited June 2014
    I usually grab her early, add a second pip to either long swords or daggers, and then dual to a thief adding a short bow and maybe a quarterstaff.
    At thief level 4 and 8 she gets her third and fourth pip in the weapon of choice. Very deadly.
    edited June 2014
    Gotural said:

Thanks ! I think the original distribution is fine, you can clearly see a dual wielding fighter, but I don't understand the reasoning behind the Crossbow proficiency at higher level

She used to gain missile weapon proficiency at higher levels and in the original BG1 she started with a crossbow in her equipment.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Frankly it seems like logical choices all around. But that's just my take on it. *shrugs*
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I like her initial ones what annoys me is the point in crossbows. it just doesn't suit her character at all imo. In the original it was fine but now she has only 1 point in swords it just seems wrong to me.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Shar-Teel's proficiencies are a tough call, since I think Dualwielding fits well, and nobody but Musashi would want to actually fight with two longswords.

With her very aggressive personality, high dexterity and good strength, dual wielding makes sense. I hated how Tutu made every warrior a dualer. Made no sense for many. But Shar should be a dual wielder. Her getting crossbows partly bothers me because so does Dorn, and partly because she ignores specialization.

Personally, I think giving one of each is there to offer versatility... you get input! She specializes in what is convinient. So I think its cool.

I wish she could dual to Mage though, like her daddy dearest. I also wish she could have had character developement. Most BG1 npcs arent really that fleshed out, but Shar-Teel has serious potential for an interesting character.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I think BGTutu gave her a similar setup by default, so I'm guessing they largely based it on that. In any case, I dig her setup, even though I haven't had room for her in BG:EE yet.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I like everything but the crossbows. Would rather have a second pip in longswords.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @DreadKhan You had to love Khalid having points in Bastard Swords and two weapon fighting. *Facedesks*
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @Archaos‌ I almost always used Khalid in vanilla, as he was exceptionally durable without eating the Dex gauntlets. I never used him in Tutu on principle, as his profs were the dumbest in the game. It also makes 0 sense for him to use dwing, as he's cowardly. He is a sword n board if there ever was one.

Kagain was equally moronic, but I did use him a couple times in Tutu... with proficiencies changed. The man is aproaching genius level intellect, but he is trying to dw AXES at level 1?! I used him as an archer once, with the dex gauntlets and halberd prof, made more sense than him dwing ffs.

Clearly some Drizzt fans out there, eh? *rolls eyes*
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I reckon they gimped her stats to balance out her unrealistically high strength.

Shar-Teel is great, but her stats/profs have always been stupid. Why is she so much stronger than all the other fighting women... she's nearly as strong as Minsc! Unless she's a freak of nature like Brienne of Tarth, she should have 16 strength max, but higher constitution. She's tough and keeps up with the men but will never match them in raw strength when it comes to fighting...

They should have given her average stats but a very nice Barbarian Rage ability... Could call it Bloody Rage, and it only happens once a month.
    I fixed those withe Shadowkeeper (or was it the 0 Level NPC Mod?) back then and never looked back.

I gave Khalid Longsword and Longbow proficiencies. He was my archer/tank.
    (Please don't crucify me, forums, I know this may come off as sexist, but I don't mean to be) While I do think men are naturally stronger and the strongest woman will LIKELY never be as strong as the strongest man, (I mean sheer physical might, not skill or combat strength) I neither think your comment is accurate, or appropriate. I don't mean to be white-knighting it up here, but good lord, man, did you even THINK about what you said?! And seriously; bloody rage? Really? Not cool.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Archaos, Dragonspear, and Elrandir.
    Suddenly I'm a bad guy for mentioning realism and making a joke? Really people, don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm right about the realism part but talking about that seems to upset some people... actually talking about anything seems to upset some people on this forum.

Shar-Teel and Alora are my favourite NPCs, and my favourite character to play is FEMALE gnome... So I'm hardly sexist or all about realism. Search my older posts and you'll probably see me saying so.

BTW. Brienne is a freak, look up the definition. And why would a special rage ability be boring? The only other one I can think of right now Minsc's, and if you had Minsc you probably wouldn't need Shar-Teel.
    @Elrandir I sort of agree but this isn't real life. DnD humans are not necessarily RL humans and DnD isn't medieval (something many people seem to miss).

Perhaps Shar-Teel has higher testosterone levels than other women, so that explains her rougher features and strong physical strength.
    Perhaps she's been training since she was really young and her body developed naturally to it.

We should also notice that she's the ONLY amazonian-type NPC in the whole series. (Hexxat doesn't count).
    Perhaps not coincidentally, she had Longbow proficiency and high DEX, like the typical Amazons.
    Getting back to her proficiencies, I mean I guess they could have gone with short swords instead of daggers but then that would have conflicted with Montaron's proficiencies. Plus the dagger of venom is pretty sweet. Likewise they could have gone with ** in long sword, * in dagger, and * in two-weapon style but that would make it less ideal if you want to use a dagger as a primary weapon while dual wielding. Since her level 4 and 6 forms in the original BG1 also start out with a two-handed sword they could have also given her some kind of proficiency with two-handed swords but then that would be conflicting with Dorn's proficiency (and this already happens to a limited degree with crossbows).

So anyways I guess what I'm trying to say is that regardless of the direction they took someone wasn't going to be happy.
    @Archaos‌ You're right, and part of why I "agreed" with your comment earlier was because of that specifically. I was just responding to his statement specifically, since he was talking about realism.

@TheGraveDigger‌ Whether you're right or not, (which I'm not going any further into) it's the way you presented your opinion that caused us to respond.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    In my game I edited her proficiencies and moved a couple to longbow. I dualled her to a thief at level 7, allowing her to get GM in longbows at thief level 8. I think she had the best THAC0 in my party, 7/2 APR, and (using Acid Arrows) did 12 to 27 damage per hit. Ouch.
    edited June 2014
    I should also mention that the Elder Scrolls games already did that, or at least Oblivion.
    Usually females had worse physical stats but better mental stats.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Races_(Oblivion)