Skip to content

Chapter 2 (spoilers)

So it seems I've almost completed Chapter 2. As in I Am assuming it will end once I pay the Shadow Thieves their money.
I still have a couple of out of city quests that I haven't even touched.
I guess my question is what is the best way to go about them. Leave them for later completion (thus assuming that I would be able to revisit them later) OR do them now (thus assuming that I would be too busy with other stuff).

Clearly this is the first time I am playing the game, and I have no idea what the better strategy is here. When I was doing BG1 I didn't really care about the quests, and was more focused on the story. Here I have been trying a different approach and actually doing the side quests.
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks :)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    As it's your first run, I strongly recommend not to read much about playthroughs of BG2 - taste it yourself.

You should act the way you think is the best. You sister is being tortured by wizards, she's alone in the dark. What would your character do? Roleplay your decision.

If you're not willing to help your sister quickly and/or feel your party should get more experience first, go for Athkatla quests.

The side-quests are very interesting and you'll be busy but pleasantly busy.
    jackjack
  • KhalKhal Member Posts: 53
    Well I actually got involved in plenty of Athkatla quests (no one way to really make the money otherwise). But I was more asking about the quests that take me out of the city
    (E.g. the quests from people who say their villages, estates, etc are under attack).
    I would like to help them obviously, but if I would be able to get to the quests later, it would probably be better to move with the story...
    Maybe my concern doesn't really make sense =\
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Khal said:

I would like to help them obviously, but if I would be able to get to the quests later, it would probably be better to move with the story...

Yes, you'll be able to get to the quests later.
    Khal
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    There's no problem saving quests for later. In fact, if you want Imoen in your end game party, its best to go get her right away so she can gain experience along with the rest of the party! And if you're playing good at all, or if you like her at all, what are you waiting for! Go get her!

Of course if you're not planning on keeping her, and/or you're playing evil, no hurry...
    kitasemuatanah
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    One factor which may (or may not) be relevant is that some of the out-of-Athkatla quests lead you to additional recruitable NPCs. Maybe in a first run, you'll want to stick with the companions you've already got, in order to see how it goes with them. In your next run, you may well want to go fetch some of the out-of-town characters and give them a try.

Another factor which may (or may not) be relevant is that some of the areas you'll have to get through (once you set off to rescue Imoen) are quite tough for a low-level party. Especially for a first run, when you don't know exactly how to tackle those areas, it can be easier if your party has gained a couple more levels doing side-quests.
    abacus

It can be easier if your party has gained a couple more levels doing side-quests.

What would be a good level to start going through the tough areas with?
    I think most of my characters are around level 10 at the moment. Is that enough, or should I try getting a couple more levels?
    @Khal‌

I see you question has been ignored;)

If your thieves and druids are at level 10 then you'll have some problems but if your fighters and rangers have this level you'll be fine. The thing is every class has its own level-progression.

Moreover, if the particular area seem hard for you while you're there, you can always stop and try another quest and come back to this area later.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Once you end Chapter 2, you're pretty much locked in to the main quest for a good while. So if your party is weaker, that can be a problem.

I'd investigate Nalia's quest for one (D'Arnise Keep) and maybe lend a hand at Trademeet... The rest could potentially be a little tricky.

What class are you? There are specific quests for various classes, and those are definitely worth doing before chasing Imoen.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Khal - if the average level of your party is around 10, I'd say that's probably a little light-weight for rescuing Imoen, especially on a first run when you don't yet know exactly what you'll be facing.

It's difficult to give specific guidance because it depends too much on who is in your party and on your own playing-style ... but my guess is that you'll stand a better chance if you build up your party's abilities some more before you set off on the rescue mission. So I recommend doing some of the out-of-town quests to get another level or two. You certainly don't need to do all of them yet, but Nalia's quest to save de'Arnise Keep is probably a good one to tackle at this stage, and then maybe the Trademeet quests. I wouldn't recommend taking on the Windspear Hills quest for Firkraag at your level in a first run, that can be quite a tough one - I sometimes leave that one until after the rescue mission, even though I'm a more experienced player. Likewise you may not yet be ready for the Umar Hills quests, or at least not all of it (although you could do some parts and maybe leave the rest until later).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    abacus said:

What class are you? There are specific quests for various classes, and those are definitely worth doing before chasing Imoen.

Wow sorry that I took my time answering.

I am a ranger (now level 11) and I have:
    Yoshimo (14)
    Minsc (11)
    Aerie (10/11)
    Keldron (11)
    Jaheira (10/12)

Is that going to be enough?
    JuliusBorisov

I wouldn't recommend taking on the Windspear Hills quest for Firkraag at your level in a first run, that can be quite a tough one - I sometimes leave that one until after the rescue mission, even though I'm a more experienced player. Likewise you may not yet be ready for the Umar Hills quests, or at least not all of it (although you could do some parts and maybe leave the rest until later).

Hm I actually ended up doing both of those quests already. Feel kinda proud of myself, if they are considered difficult and I managed :P
    (Just blowing my own horn a bit)
    JuliusBorisov