Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Which I would then counter by those people claiming to hate it when celebrities speak up, but are absolutely over the moon when someone like Jon Voight or Kid Rock comes out as supporting conservative causes or candidates.

I agree - though on the flipside, the people who claim to applaud celebrities and others for "standing up" are often the most vitriol in criticizing them when they happen to stand up for something that even marginally deviates from their own personal ideology. Case in point:

-Tom Brady received a flood of criticism on social media simply because he allegedly (but not even confirmed) voted for Trump.

-Rupert Everett, an openly gay actor, received death threats because he said he didn't agree with gay couples raising children.

-Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana, an openly gay couple, were subject to calls for a boycott of their fashion line after expressing disagreement with in vitro fertilization.

-Oprah received a massive backlash on social media just for having the temerity to suggest that we simply wait and see what Trump actually does as president before launching into protests.

-Jackie Evancho, a 16-year old girl, has been subject to widespread ridicule and threats to ruin her career solely for being scheduled to sing the National Anthem at the upcoming presidential inauguration - something that would normally be, and has always been, considered a career-defining moment for someone in her situation.

-Brent Musburger is currently subject to calls to be fired from his job for saying that he hopes someone with a violent past turns his life around.

It's easy to "stand up" when you say something within the parameters of a like-minded culture or coincides with a current popular trend - the people who say and do things in contrast to that are the ones who often have to face real consequences. Streep did the former, and regardless of what criticisms she might receive, there's not going to be any negative consequences on her life or career. That same can't be said for many people who do the latter.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    As I mentioned before things are way outta control online with threats of great harm over people with opposing viewpoints. Let's not forget Beamdog had to put up with all kinds of online harrassment and threats and negative attention online due to Gamergate people going after them for the whole Mizhena character. I'm sure they received quite a bit of venom.

It is way too easy for people to lose perspective that there's a person on the other end of this series of tubes. I'd like to think that the people making threats and so forth online would not be the sort of people to be saying that to people's faces. If people did go around talking to each other like they do online, this world would indeed be a very dangerous place.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

As I mentioned before things are way outta control online with threats of great harm over people with opposing viewpoints. Let's not forget Beamdog had to put up with all kinds of online harrassment and threats and negative attention online due to Gamergate people going after them for the whole Mizhena character. I'm sure they received quite a bit of venom.

It is way too easy for people to lose perspective that there's a person on the other end of this series of tubes. I'd like to think that the people making threats and so forth online would not be the sort of people to be saying that to people's faces. If people did go around talking to each other like they do online, this world would indeed be a very dangerous place.

Talking to people in real life like people talk online seems to be exactly what the alt-right wants. It, again, has nothing to do with being PC. If your town was like a Youtube comment section, you'd have fights breaking out every 5 minutes at the local supermarket.

Anyone who sends death and/or rape threats online at anyone, no matter what perspective, is an extremely disturbed and awful person who deserves zero respect. I think most everyone here can agree on that, regardless of political standing.

Thankfully, there isn't anything even approaching that here. Not even close.
    edited January 2017
    I'm gonna chime in on John Lewis before everyone else does. He's a legendary congressman and civil rights hero from Georgia's 5th Congressional District. The man nearly got his skull bashed in on the Edmund Pettus Bridge marching with MLK. So when he calls Trump "illegitimate", it carries weight with both Democrats, but also, specifically, with African-Americans.

Now here's the contrast: The move to make Barack Obama seem illegitimate (led, indisputably, by Trump's birtherism) was based on absolutely NOTHING BUT his race. The man won both Electoral landslides and massive popular vote totals in both 2008 and 2012. Those races weren't close in any way. There were no scandals that affected the election. So, to believe Barack Obama is illegitimate, you have to believe that his parents were clairvoyant enough to see 45 years into the future, forge a birth certificate for the EXPRESS purpose of him becoming President nearly a half-century later, and to top it all off, they decided the best state to do that from would be Hawaii and decided to give him a name that would scare the crap out of a lot of older white voters. Quite a brilliant plot. He led a movement purposefully designed to hurt the first African-American President's legitimacy, and now is set to basically nullify his entire legacy, and my guess is African-American voters are NEVER going to forget that.

On the other side of the coin, Trump has 3 things stacked on top of each other. The Russian interference in the election, the FBI's obvious finger on the scales, and the fact that he lost the popular vote by a massive margin, thus ushering in yet another loss for Democrats after getting more votes. Any one of these things on their own wouldn't have pushed things to where they are now, but when you combine them all together, and realize that less than 100,000 votes in the rural areas of 3 states swung this Election, it is easy to see how the first two absolutely could have flipped the result, made all that harder to swallow simply by the size of Clinton's actual vote margin. Trump is going to become President in 6 days, of that there is no doubt. But I stand with John Lewis. Something is rotten in Denmark.

Furthermore, Trump (of course) took to Twitter to hit back at Lewis, to call his district "crime-invested." For those who can't read the tea leaves, to Trump's base, that means "black". And overall crime in the district (which Trump lies about on a weekly basis) is actually down, though given how their jobs work, blaming a Congressman for his district's crime-rate is pretty silly to begin with. A mayor certainly has almost infinitely more to do with whatever the crime-rate in Atlanta and the surrounding area is.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    "Tinkle, tinkle, little czar.
    Putin put you where you are."
    - George Takei
    edited January 2017
    BillyYank said:

"Tinkle, tinkle, little czar.
    Putin put you where you are."
    - George Takei

George Takei can certainly speak to just how easy it is for the majority of Americans to throw the minority away like a piece of trash because it's the easy thing to do. He lived through the internment camps. Something that happened when our grandparents were younger than most of us are now.

So Rosie O'Donnell can be as irrational as she'd like about this.

While Trump's comments about Rosie were disgusting and inexcusable, she herself has made a career out of behaving similarly toward others. She's the last person who should (pretend to?) be "irrational" about his own success.

Well, it looks like one good thing may have come out of Trump's victory after all: ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TBUB9IqPo
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, well, here's the rub on that....Rosie O'Donnell isn't (and wasn't) running for President, or going to be President.

This Mark Dice character has to be one of the most insufferable people I've ever had the displeasure of hearing speak in my entire life. He exemplifies a strain on the right that is simply interested in drinking liberal tears. Not to put too fine a point on it, but he seems like the kind of guy who would draw a dick on your face with a black magic marker after you passed out at a party, and think it's the height of comedy.

(I know this is a PG-13 forum, but since that word was used in "E.T." in the mid-80s, I'll let myself slide on this one).
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited January 2017
    It's all about demographics. So many gamers are young, white, and male. And like it or not, young white males (particularly the ones with time on their hands) are often at least somewhat fascistic. I personally wasn't the least bit surprised with gamergate nor was I surprised with the backlash over the transgender cleric (forgot his name). This coincides with the rise of the alt-right and the still small but ever growing backlash to modernity. But here is the truth of the matter: there is no pressure in being politically correct; there is no pressure in taking a stand for any of the number of en-vogue social causes. Because so many people want to feel like a good person and nothing screams "good person" like taking a stand for social justice. But these are weak minded specimens. No, the true pressure lies in being politically incorrect. As a bisexual man in a same sex relationship, I can tell you from experience that I've had nothing but acceptance, at least outwardly, on the basis of my lifestyle choices, but nothing but derision and lack of acceptance on the basis of my political worldview.

My favorite philosopher, Julius Evola, said it best: "Traditionalism is the most revolutionary ideology of our times".
    edited January 2017

It's all about demographics. So many gamers are young, white, and male. And like it or not, young white males (particularly the ones with time on their hands) are often at least somewhat fascistic. I personally wasn't the least bit surprised with gamergate nor was I surprised with the backlash over the transgender cleric (forgot his name). This coincides with the rise of the alt-right and the still small but ever growing backlash to modernity. But here is the truth of the matter: there is no pressure in being politically correct; there is no pressure in taking a stand for any of the number of en-vogue social causes. Because so many people want to feel like a good person and nothing screams "good person" like taking a stand for social justice. But these are weak minded specimens. No, the true pressure lies in being politically incorrect. As a bisexual man in a same sex relationship, I can tell you from experience that I've had nothing but acceptance, at least outwardly, on the basis of my lifestyle choices, but nothing but derision and lack of acceptance on the basis of my political worldview.

My favorite philosopher, Julius Evola, said it best: "Traditionalism is the most revolutionary ideology of our times".

Again, what is being "politically incorrect" defined as at this point?? For that matter, what is "politically correct"?? Because it seems to me that anytime anyone anywhere stands up for the rights of a minority, it is brushed off as being "PC". It's a term that now means nothing. I'm going to continue to stand by my view that the anti-PC movement is nothing more than the very semi-fascistic young males you are talking about simply wanting an out for being an asshole in public, or when talking to other people. There is not a damn thing preventing anyone from saying anything. What the alt-right, anti-PC crowd has a problem with is the social consequences and the fact that, unlike maybe 10 years ago, people now hit back at them. They want all the speech, but none of the consequences. And until the day the government starts punishing them for it, the entire argument will continue to ring hollow. And I'll go back to my core principle on this: what is it these people want to say that they feel they can't say anymore?? I mean, let's get to the meat of the issue here. Because it's not that they can't say it. It's that they know they that probably shouldn't say it, and they want to anyway, whether out of malice, or insecurity, or a 100 other reasons. And they want a free pass for something they know isn't generally considered acceptable. Hence, it isn't their comments that are the problem, it is an amorphous concept know as "political correctness".

As an extreme example, let's take the RPG Codex, a truly wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's hard to know if most of the posts over there are just a product of edge-lords and sexually frustrated false bravado, and what are actual feelings. But suffice to say, if anyone talked like that at work, their ass would be out the door in 5 minutes flat. If you did it at school, you'd get suspended or expelled. Your parents, in all likelihood, would tan your hide or ground you. Many of things people label as "PC" are simply the reason we are able to go to super-markets without fights breaking out in the aisles. Because let's get real here....no one (for the most part) is willing to use the language they use on the internet in real-life. Hardly anyone would have the balls to do it, because they know society just doesn't work like that. I don't talk like I do here around friends or co-workers. Because that would be a recipe for disaster. But I don't think it's some major blow to my "rights". It's an accepted social contract that is the price of a civil society.

And, to be honest, with Trump, it's breaking down a bit. I was at the aforementioned super-market a few weeks ago. I live in North Dakota and two guys in the dairy section were talking about the Native American protests of the Dakota Access pipeline. I didn't catch everything, but I sure as hell DID hear the phrase "they should all go back to their wig-wams". I didn't fly off the handle, but I did slowly turn around and stared at them. And you know what?? They didn't have to courage of their convictions to keep that conversation going in public, because they immediately looked at each other and changed the subject to someone they knew in high school who had a drinking problem. Now, I'm sure there would be some who would say I "intimidated" these guys and violated their freedom of expression. If that's what eye-contact is construed as, so be it. The fact is, once they knew I'd heard what they said, they felt what is commonly known as SHAME.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

It's all about demographics. So many gamers are young, white, and male. And like it or not, young white males (particularly the ones with time on their hands) are often at least somewhat fascistic.

Citation really, really needed?

But here is the truth of the matter: there is no pressure in being politically correct; there is no pressure in taking a stand for any of the number of en-vogue social causes. Because so many people want to feel like a good person and nothing screams "good person" like taking a stand for social justice. But these are weak minded specimens.

My revolutionary viewpoint is that people who express and fight for causes online generally do so because that is what they actually believe.

As for your argument about your own views...

It's hard to be an open fascist, an open anti-Semite, or an open Communist too. That does not lend these views intrinsic virtue. Agreeing with the majority of people doesn't make someone right, but neither does disagreeing with them.

Literally everyone wants to feel like a good person, and does, pretty much regardless of what they believe or do. That includes people who, for instance, consider themselves to be taking bold stands against a cloying and oppressive system that doesn't tolerate radical views.

Yeah, well, here's the rub on that....Rosie O'Donnell isn't (and wasn't) running for President, or going to be President.

This Mark Dice character has to be one of the most insufferable people I've ever had the displeasure of hearing speak in my entire life.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but he seems like the kind of guy who would draw on your face with a black magic marker after you passed out at a party, and think it's the height of comedy.

(I know this is a PG-13 forum, but since that word was used in "E.T." in the mid-80s, I'll let myself slide on this one).

Yeah. I certainly don't get people that think it's so cool to make fun of others. That guy might be a strong young man today but someday that will change for him. No empathy for others? Maybe things won't change for him tomorrow, maybe they won't for another 20 years but things will change. Who knows maybe he'll get hit by a car, get really sick or just grow old. Or he'll have a family and have little kids and there will be jerks that behave like him to his kids. Great role model dude! Anyway, life happens, things change.

Someday he won't be the biggest and strongest around and then some other young bucks will be making fun of him and delighting in his suffering. Doing to him the same crap he's pulling now. Dude, look what type of behavior you encouraged in society. So dumb.

"Haha they're so miserable I love watching people suffer and have a bad time!"

um great for you, you enjoy being a jerk. Ok. That's the type of world you want for yourself and your children. Someday, you will feel the other side of things.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Because let's get real here....no one (for the most part) is willing to use the language they use on the internet in real-life. Hardly anyone would have the balls to do it, because they know society just doesn't work like that.

I speak in real life the way I do on the Internet, including the use of overly-complex sentences, often-too-verbose rambling, quirky phrasing, and word choices which sometimes confuse the average listener; this is a habit which I developed long ago for reasons which now escape me--I think I just like it or perhaps it suits me. Fortunately for me, I don't go around insulting people even though I do manage to find ways to express the point I am trying to express.

On the one hand, this thread seems to have become one long anti-Trump diatribe with people finding every little thing they can over which they may criticize him. On the other hand, it is the job--nay, *duty*--of people who dislike the person or party in power to hold those people accountable for their every word and action. Keep up the good work!
    Here's something positive about Trump

If he institutes universal health care that'd be great.

That'd put his ledger at 1 good thing against the 10,000 bad things he's said or done.

But yeah full of crap most likely, he's like incapable of saying the truth. Only can say "Trump great, Trump the best, you like me right?"
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/15/politics/trump-obamacare/index.html

edited January 2017
    His plan seems to be "it will be great". That's it. There are no details, there is not one single ounce of actual policy in that article. Government doesn't just magically "work" because you wave a magic wand. And Tom Price.....Tom Price has made it his life's mission to destroy not only the ACA but Medicare and Medicaid as well. Unless the Republicans are planning on just handing billions upon billions of dollars straight to the insurance industry to cover these people (and that would pretty much go against every single fiscal principle Republicans claim to stand for) then there is simply nothing here. This is, like all Trump's plans, not only light on details, it's completely non-existent. The extent of every one of Trump's policy positions is "it's gonna be great, it's gonna be tremendous." You could ask him a question about literally ANYTHING and that will be his answer.

Whatever you think of Hillary Clinton, if push came to shove, she could probably answer questions about the minutiae of American health care policy for ten hours without any reference material whatsoever. Trump couldn't go ten seconds.
    edited January 2017
    Most Americans are for universal healthcare. Most young Americans, myself included, believe very strongly that some elements of socialism are desirable. I myself am not a member of the alt-right but, they too, believe in these things. This is what these old conservatives have to face. The American right does not have a future on a platform of god, guns and fetuses. People like me couldn't care less. Young Americans couldn't care less. Europe is already there. Even the most far-right, nationalistic of European parties are to the left of American conservatives on just about every economic social issue. There is no future for the GOP as it currently stands. It must move in a more populist direction if it has any hope of surviving. The masses aren't buying their opium anymore. These are facts.

Most Americans are for universal healthcare. Most young Americans, myself included, believe very strongly that some elements of socialism are desirable. I myself am not a member of the alt-right but, they too, believe in these things. This is what these old conservatives have to face. The American right does not have a future on a platform of god, guns and fetuses. People like me couldn't care less. Young Americans couldn't care less. Europe is already there. Even the most far-right, nationalistic of European parties are to the left of American conservatives on just about every economic social issue. There is no future for the GOP as it currently stands. It must move in a more populist direction if it has any hope of surviving. The masses aren't buying their opium anymore. These are facts.

While that's all true the game is rigged in their favor. These old dudes in power, the 1%, don't want to give up their power.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I can say two nice things about Trump. He's not Mike Pence. He's not Ted Cruz.

The thing that worries me about the Putin thing is, if it's true, Trump might be forced to resign. Then we'd have Pence as president, which would be far worse. I'd much rather have a megalomaniac robber-baron for a president than a far-right Protestant zealot. At least Trump doesn't believe that the main purpose of the government is to enforce the edicts of his chosen religion.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

Again, what is being "politically incorrect" defined as at this point?? For that matter, what is "politically correct"?? Because it seems to me that anytime anyone anywhere stands up for the rights of a minority, it is brushed off as being "PC". It's a term that now means nothing. I'm going to continue to stand by my view that the anti-PC movement is nothing more than the very semi-fascistic young males you are talking about simply wanting an out for being an asshole in public, or when talking to other people. There is not a damn thing preventing anyone from saying anything. What the alt-right, anti-PC crowd has a problem with is the social consequences and the fact that, unlike maybe 10 years ago, people now hit back at them. They want all the speech, but none of the consequences. And until the day the government starts punishing them for it, the entire argument will continue to ring hollow. And I'll go back to my core principle on this: what is it these people want to say that they feel they can't say anymore?? I mean, let's get to the meat of the issue here. Because it's not that they can't say it. It's that they know they that probably shouldn't say it, and they want to anyway, whether out of malice, or insecurity, or a 100 other reasons. And they want a free pass for something they know isn't generally considered acceptable. Hence, it isn't their comments that are the problem, it is an amorphous concept know as "political correctness".

As an extreme example, let's take the RPG Codex, a truly wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's hard to know if most of the posts over there are just a product of edge-lords and sexually frustrated false bravado, and what are actual feelings. But suffice to say, if anyone talked like that at work, their ass would be out the door in 5 minutes flat. If you did it at school, you'd get suspended or expelled. Your parents, in all likelihood, would tan your hide or ground you. Many of things people label as "PC" are simply the reason we are able to go to super-markets without fights breaking out in the aisles. Because let's get real here....no one (for the most part) is willing to use the language they use on the internet in real-life. Hardly anyone would have the balls to do it, because they know society just doesn't work like that. I don't talk like I do here around friends or co-workers. Because that would be a recipe for disaster. But I don't think it's some major blow to my "rights". It's an accepted social contract that is the price of a civil society.

And, to be honest, with Trump, it's breaking down a bit. I was at the aforementioned super-market a few weeks ago. I live in North Dakota and two guys in the dairy section were talking about the Native American protests of the Dakota Access pipeline. I didn't catch everything, but I sure as hell DID hear the phrase "they should all go back to their wig-wams". I didn't fly off the handle, but I did slowly turn around and stared at them. And you know what?? They didn't have to courage of their convictions to keep that conversation going in public, because they immediately looked at each other and changed the subject to someone they knew in high school who had a drinking problem. Now, I'm sure there would be some who would say I "intimidated" these guys and violated their freedom of expression. If that's what eye-contact is construed as, so be it. The fact is, once they knew I'd heard what they said, they felt what is commonly known as SHAME.
    Maybe after watching this video you can help me and educate people about the racism that I have to go through ever day as well. I know I might not be a physical minority but the KKK still don't like me.

#HEHATEME.

( Skip to the English parts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE49kaB8wRQ
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

While that's all true the game is rigged in their favor. These old dudes in power, the 1%, don't want to give up their power.
    But eventually the old dudes will be dead, and the young dudes will be old dudes.

It remains to be seen to what extent the young dudes will retain their principles when they are old dudes.
    Fardragon said:

But eventually the old dudes will be dead, and the young dudes will be old dudes.

It remains to be seen to what extent the young dudes will retain their principles when they are old dudes.
    The old dudes' money goes to their kids, like Donald Trump got money from his father, and the kids will make the rules.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Fardragon said:

The old dudes' money goes to their kids, like Donald Trump got money from his father, and the kids will make the rules.
    So 32 years from now we can look forward to Donald Trump Jr inauguration? :trollface:
    That's why I personally feel that democracy is weak and useless to the people. We need a movement, one born in the heartland and rural areas, with nationalist fervor and will to power. The truth is that voting, outside of a direct democracy, is utterly pointless...and doubly so under the crony capitalist arrangement plaguing us now.

I do not feel that America can be socialist in the Scandinavian sense. There is way too much diversity, identity politics and such for a non-statist form of collectivist action. We need a new syndicalist order, and a nationalistic one; with collaboration between groups, corporations, races, and social classes. The achieving of an all powerful, all-encompassing State through which every citizen is moblized and marches together to the beat of the drum, with direct democracy via referendum and all things done for the good and glory of the people and their State.

We need a welfare state, with nationalized healthcare. All industry and commerce vital to the functioning of the people's State to be nationalized immediately. With strict protectionism in trade, arbitration of labour disputes, and regulation of corporations for the good of every man, done of course by the State. And we need a press that is run by the State and overseen by ethics committees made up of private citizens.
    That's not the first time people have come to that conclusion. But in the uneducated US of A socialism is the ENEMY! We have countless wars and fights against the spread of socialists and communists especially in other American countries. The myth of America, work hard get ahead, is against socialism. Anyway, I'm trying to say people, especially baby boomers, are against socialism in all its forms. Then they get upset if you mess with their social security totally missing the irony that that it's a socialist program.
This discussion has been closed.