Skip to content

Most durable character for no reload run?

Im going to start soon my first no reload run. So when my charname dies game is over. Im planning to play all three games through: bg1, bg2 and Tob. What class should I pick and how to create a character that suits best for the no reload runs? I have played all these games through maybe 4 times.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't really know what you mean by "durable". If your looking for power, sorcerer of Mage combo is the way to go. Barbarians have the most hit points, but rage is lacking compared to the berserker.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    A good solid "all around" character would be a Half-Orc Fighter/thief. With 19 in STR and CON, you will hit for a BUNCH and be able to take a hit better than most. Of course, long about ToB, you may have some issues as Backstab petters out at that stage. Up until then, you should have a solid character who can deal with most stuff. and even then, you are still hitting for a lot, just not the insane damage that Backstab offers.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    If he starts from BG1, I would strongly advice to chose a shorty race for the bonus to saves vs spells and saves vs death, plus you could reach 19 str with the tome.

Anyway I would advice you to pick a Sorcerer or a Fighter/Illusionist. They are probably your best bets if your game is vanilla.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Berzerker/Mage. EEKeeper him/her to a dwarf.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    He finished the game 4 times and never made a no-reload.
    Suggesting a Sorc or a Mage doesn't make sense...

@Lapa‌ since you didn't mentioned "solo", I assume you're gonna use NPCs. So I'd go for a pure human Berserker.
    1) fighters are very good in BG1
    2) Rage will save you more times than you can imagine.
    3) in BG2 (maybe after reading some guides) you'll may want to dual-class into thief/cleric/mage.

PS. Remember to check your stats if you plan to dual-class ;)
    Barbarian is also nice with more hit points(16-18 per level up on a good roll with high con) and rage is almost as good for them.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    On your first no-reload you should definetely have at least one part of a thief. One unfortunate petrification trap and it's over.

Berserker's immunities from the Rage will help you A LOT against every dangerous enemy in BG1 and BG2, be it an enemy spellcaster, an Illithid, a lich, a beholder and so on.

And magic, of course. You do want your stoneskins and protections from weapons when you're soloing, don't you? You do want prebuffs and debuffs when you're soloing, don't you? You do want to use wands and scrolls right from the start when you're soloing, don't you? You do want your familiar at the Candlekeep when you're soloing, don't you?

So, take a multiclass Fighter/Mage/Thief and EE-keeper him into a Berserker/Mage/Thief.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I had awesome fun on a play through solo with a triple class Fight/Mage/Thief. Was a little tricky at first but after a few levels they turn into absolute beasties. By the end of ToB you have a walking god of sheer destruction and awesomeness. :P
  • LapaLapa Member Posts: 73
    I plan to use other npcs also!
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Hmm well in that case it's entirely up to you. Though I would not triple class as the experience get's divided up a little to much :) My first no reload run was with a sorcerer :) Loves me a good sorcerer :D Along with Minsc, Imoen, Jaheria, Yeslick and Kivan if I recall :)
    Lapa said:

I would say sorcerer or bezerker. Whenever I have one of these in my party they're the last ones standing if we all get killed.
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Maybe a cavalier. Immunity to all fear and poison, plus 20% fire and acid resistance. Or possibly an Undead Hunter or Blackguard, for Negative Plane Protection.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    mage/thief!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    If you're bringing other minions with you:

Cavalier, Fighter/Cleric (dwarf) or Fighter/Illusionist are all great options
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Lapa said:

Well, in this case, take a human Berzerker, run with him through all BG1 and in BG2 dual-class him into a mage at the 9th level. This character will be hard to take down.