Skip to content

Gaelan Bayle home crash

Hello,

the title and the attachment say it all :) The save is in fron of his house, I want to enter it, the game crashes. I tried using console to move there, all the areas I tried worked, his house, again, crashed.

I tried searching for this problem, but did not find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    It's definitely an issue with AR0311 saved in the SAV file. Are you using any mods?
  • WacoWaco Member Posts: 7
    Nope, vanilla 2030. I had no problem before, when getting the quest from him, checking the merchant upstairs, although that was some time ago.
    I reverted the area back to default and set the chapter variable in that area, after that I entered the building and the chapter 2 cutscene started. I can see no immediate cause for this issue. I'll upload a fixed saved game in just a short while and then focus on finding out where things went wrong. More information may be required, so keep your eye on this topic. :-)
    I will, thank you very much for such a quick response and hopefully even a fix :)
    First, your fixed saved game is attached. At the very least, you can continue playing. :-)

Second, I know what the issue is: the file signature and version were missing. Adding them remedies the crash. I know of nothing that would cause this, aside from a mod of some sort. It could be an engine issue, but I'll need to tag someone who might know more about a possible cause in that regard. @Avenger_teambg‌.
    CrevsDaak
    Uh, that is weird. Thank you for the fix, working the way it should.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    For some reason, the value of GaelanMove in your game is set to 4. When I set the value back to 3 via C:SetGlobal("GaelanMove","GLOBAL",3); and try to enter the house the cut scenes trigger correctly *but* Gaelan doesn't show up in his house, leaving you stuck in Chapter 2. You can use C:CreateCreature("gaelan"); but this may trigger dialog you have had before and may replay the movie for chapter 2.

Have you spoken with Aran Linvail? I presume that you haven't because I noticed that you didn't have the Shadow Thief key; this means you likely haven't given the money to Gaelan and you haven't accepted the offer from Bodhi. Some of the other variables such as WorkingForBodhi and GaelanSpawn2 didn't exist, defaulting to a value of 0, but one variable in particular, Movie01, is an AR0311 variable rather than global, so its value doesn't stay put if you reload an game (if my thinking is correct).

Anyway, @Troodon80‌ has the fix for you--remove the area from the save, load, enter the house.

Anyway, @Troodon80‌ has the fix for you--remove the area from the save, load, enter the house.

@Mathsorcerer, the answer is not to remove the area from the save. The area is simply missing the signature and version (I have no idea about the why of it), adding them (AREA, V1.0) to that file is good enough. The cutscene has already been triggered in the original saved game that was uploaded (that advances to chapter 2, giving the gold (which I assume is why Waco went there) advances to chapter 3), so that would probably explain why Gaelan didn't appear for you. :-)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Ah so--then I misunderstood where you were going with it. *shrug* Not a problem. I didn't check the signature or version on the area file--it never even occurred to me.
    So I'm finally back online after my SSD has given up on me yesterday. Obviously, that could very easily explain the problem I experienced, so it's possible that no code could have prevented it. Once again, thanks for your help (at least I backed up my save this way, would have lost it otherwise :).