Skip to content

Anyone responding to support requests?

I filed a support request through beamdog.zendesk.com. It's been a week and there's been no response. The site still shows that the request is "awaiting assignment". Is anyone monitoring the requests? If that site is no longer being monitored why is it still up and accepting new requests? I'm still seeking assistance - I CANNOT SAVE OR LOAD GAMES ON MY MAC SINCE UPGRADING TO MAVERICKS.

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    There is usually someone monitoring the support requests, but things are probably a bit hectic right now with the updates and bugs that they're trying to fix.

Tagging @Dee so he can look into it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    What version of OS X were you using before you upgraded?
  • mrfrenchmrfrench Member Posts: 23
    Dee said:

What version of OS X were you using before you upgraded?

Previous OS was 10.6.8. Current OS is 10.9.3

I've posted in the forums everything I tried based on suggestions in the thread about saved games at:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32291/saved-games-vanished-in-mac-osx-mavericks
    and
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18764/where-are-saved-games#latest

as well as others and still have not resolved the problem. I cannot load old games. I cannot save new games. I sent a message to beamdog.zendesk.com about 8 days ago and still no response.
    If you open up /Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save do you see your saved games there?
    It's Baldur's Gate 1 so I dropped the "II" but, yes, there are directories there and inside those directories are files that look like save files. The directories are the names I gave the individual saves. So, for example, there's a directory there called "000000000-Auto-Save" and in that directory are a ton of *.STO and *.BMP and *.WMP and other files that are likely the auto-saves the game made while I was playing. The directories are all read/write by me, and the files inside the directories are all read/write by me so I know the permissions aren't the problem.
    It does sound like Mavericks did something odd when it installed; I recommend doing the following:

1) Back-up the contents of that local directory (the save folder, the baldur.ini file, and any other files or folders in that directory that you want to keep) to a folder on your desktop

2) Uninstall the game

3) Install the game again fresh from the dmg (if you bought it from Beamdog) or from the App Store (if you bought it from Apple)

4) Go to that local directory again and restore those files you backed up

That should give the game a chance to refresh its path to the local directory, and should get you access to your saves again.
    Hm, a few problems and comments:

1. I didn't install Mavericks - it was installed by Apple on the new machine I bought. The files in the user area were installed from backup.

2. I don't have the dmg any more - I didn't have space on the old machine that was replaced for the dmg files from everything I bought. The application was restored from a backup.

3. I tried saving the files in that directory to another location, deleting the entire directory and starting the game. The game recreated the directory.

4. When I tried to create a save file within the game, the game claimed it saved the game. I couldn't load that save file immediately after "creating it" because the screen had no save files listed. There was nothing in the newly created directory.

5. When I copied the old save files from the backup to the newly created directory, the game could not read the old files.
    You can grab a fresh dmg from the game's product page here: http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-for-os-x

If you can, try to install it fresh from a new dmg.
    I did a clean install after (a) moving the save files to a saved location and (b) deleting everything about Baldur's Gate other than the saved files.

After reinstalling (which I appear to have been charged for) I tried the game. I still have the problem of things appearing off-screen reported in another post. I saved a game. That seemed to work. I moved the save games back into the same place that the test saved game was written. I could not read ANY of the saved games, including the one that I had just saved.
    Oh, and I tried contacting support@beamdog.com to complain about not being able to download without clicking "process order" and to tell them to not charge my card for a "new" purchase, and the message was returned as undeliverable.

I'm getting seriously fed up.
    Here's a screen shot showing things off-screen (if this attach file thing works):

@mrfrench,
    mrfrench said:

Oh, and I tried contacting support@beamdog.com to complain about not being able to download without clicking "process order" and to tell them to not charge my card for a "new" purchase, and the message was returned as undeliverable.

Did you make sure to log-in to the Beamdog site? If you are not logged in, then the 'Install Now' button will not appear. If you are logged in, then you should see your username in the top right corner (see attached screenshot).

Tagging @Dee again regarding the transaction. :-)
    @Dee, the stuff appearing off-screen sounds like #991?
    mrfrench said:

I moved the save games back into the same place that the test saved game was written. I could not read ANY of the saved games, including the one that I had just saved.

I don't suppose you could Zip up some of those unreadable saved games and attach them? It sounds very strange for it to be saving the basic files, STO, WMP, etc. They should be in the SAV file, assuming it's the same on Mac as it is for all the other platforms.
    Troodon80 said:

@Dee, the stuff appearing off-screen sounds like #991?

I contacted Apple because other games are showing similar problems. They suggested turning off the option in the Energy save for automatic graphics switching. That appears to fix the problem. It looks like the built-in graphics board has incorrect settings. Sigh.

Troodon80 said:

mrfrench said:

I moved the save games back into the same place that the test saved game was written. I could not read ANY of the saved games, including the one that I had just saved.

I don't suppose you could Zip up some of those unreadable saved games and attach them? It sounds very strange for it to be saving the basic files, STO, WMP, etc. They should be in the SAV file, assuming it's the same on Mac as it is for all the other platforms.
    I zipped the entire directory just in case something weird was going on.

Troodon80 said:

@mrfrench,

mrfrench said:

Did you make sure to log-in to the Beamdog site? If you are not logged in, then the 'Install Now' button will not appear. If you are logged in, then you should see your username in the top right corner (see attached screenshot).

Tagging @Dee again regarding the transaction. :-)
    I don't recall if I was logged in or not. Anyway, the mail to support@beamdog should have gone through and it didn't. Are you staff? Can you do anything about this? If not, and if I cannot contact anyone, I'll just have to dispute the charge on my card when it appears.
    Does your Beamdog account use the same email address as your forum account?
    @mrfrench, no, I'm not staff, I'm a volunteer moderator. I try to help troubleshoot issues, and, if possible, fix them for people. :-)

Can you unzip the attached archive, place the save games into your save folder, then try loading one of them? I tried loading them and they work fine on Windows, so I re-saved them to get rid of the excess files. If it doesn't work for you now, then I have no idea.
    Dee said:

Does your Beamdog account use the same email address as your forum account?

I don't think so.

Troodon80 said:

@mrfrench, no, I'm not staff, I'm a volunteer moderator. I try to help troubleshoot issues, and, if possible, fix them for people. :-)

Can you unzip the attached archive, place the save games into your save folder, then try loading one of them? I tried loading them and they work fine on Windows, so I re-saved them to get rid of the excess files. If it doesn't work for you now, then I have no idea.

I copied your versions in and ran the game. No save files found. I then deleted all of the files in the save directory except the ini file and copied your versions in there just to make sure. Still didn't work.

Just for ha-ha's (as a co-worker used to say) I tried moving all the files into the "save" sub-directory under the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition directory. THAT WORKED! All the save files magically reappeared in the game! I guess the files have to be one level down from where the game put them initially.
    Just to make sure everything was ok, I loaded one of the games, moved my characters a few steps, and reserved. It saved the new file in the save sub-directory and was able to reload it. So, it looks like everything is now fixed.

Thanks for your help!!

(Now if I can only get in touch with support to make sure I don't get charged for another copy of the game...)
    @mrfrench,
    mrfrench said:

Just for ha-ha's (as a co-worker used to say) I tried moving all the files into the "save" sub-directory under the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition directory.

I should have clarified, but the /save/ directory is where they should be. Save games go into the /save/ directory, characters go into the /characters/ directory, screenshots go into the /ScrnShot/ directory, portraits go into the /portraits/ directory, etc.

Since that is the case, and I didn't realise from the structure of your Zip file (I thought you copied them there as a backup since you mentioned moving them around), you probably only needed to move the save games from where you had them into the /save/ directory for them to work.

Glad that's one thing sorted out for you, though. @Dee can handle the transaction issues. Send him a PM (rather than posting your details here), he's staff and can deal with that. If you didn't use the same e-mail address on the Beamdog site as you did here, then you will need to let him know what you did use. I don't know what the issue is with the support address, it could be one of a number of reasons.
    The files were originally in the save directory, and were put there again after I wiped everything and downloaded the new copy this morning. That didn't work. The new game that I saved this morning, was *not* saved in the "save" directory but in the directory above it. After you sent me back the zip file, I tried to put them in the same directory where the game had saved the test file. It didn't work. It was only when I moved everything into the "save" directory that it started working again. I don't know why and I don't know why the game didn't save the test game into that directory too.

I used to be a programmer. It's at times like this I wish I could look at the actual code to figure out what was going on.

Thanks again.