Skip to content

Minsc the Barbarian

Good afternoon Forumites!

Am I the only one who routinely switches Minsc's class to a Barbarian? I find it add's a fair bit of flavour to a playthrough as there are no other barbarian NPC's and Minsc is uniquely suited to becoming one, given is his ranger kit not technically illegal? Even though they explained this away with the whole head knock thing.

I wonder what he was like BEFORE the 'accident'... *ponders*

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    CaloNord said:

I wonder what he was like BEFORE the 'accident'... *ponders*

*young Keanu Reeves voice* dude... you just like, totally blew my mind

That makes a lot of sense! However, didn't he mention his Berserker's Lodge in Rashemen? I remember something along those lines.
    I'm not sure if the Rashemen people are barbarians or not. I always interpreted it like this:
    A "Barbarian" is defined by a cultural heritage that involves wild warriors who use their rage in battle. Kind of like Branwen
    A "Berserker" is just a really angry fighter who is borderline crazy. Kind of like Korgan

It seems like Minsc would fit both these categories, but I'd have to know more about Rashemen first!

I would actually like to make Branwen a Barbarian/Cleric in my next run. That makes sense roleplay-wise as well. I know barbarian is technically a fighter kit right? So could I do that using EEKeeper? @CrevsDaak‌ should know

edit: oddly enough this is the second time I've mentioned Keanu Reeves tonight. Except the first time I meant to say Tom Cruise. Time for bed zzzz
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I do this whenever I take Minsc... As I see it, if Barbarians had existed in game when he was conceived, he would have been one.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I would actually like to make Branwen a Barbarian/Cleric in my next run. That makes sense roleplay-wise as well. I know barbarian is technically a fighter kit right? So could I do that using EEKeeper? @CrevsDaak‌ should know

Yes, I do know :)
    I recommend picking her at level 1, and turning her into a level 0 Fighter/Cleric with the Barbarian kit with EEKeeper, then go back to the game and level her up. Don't change her HP the first time, open the save a second time and _then_ change the HP to the correct value of 9 (without CON bonuses).
    Same goes for turning Minsc into a Berserker, Barbarian or Wizard Slayer, but don't change his class.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited June 2014
    Oo that is a mad idea to! While we're on the topic, is there anyone else you guys like or would like to change around? To something that may better suit the character? Branwen is certainly a good candidate! And Minsc is a natural for the barbarian.
    I routinely make Kivan an Archer. It seems better for him.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Lore says that Rashemi men are Berserkers so yes, that can mean both Barbarian and Berserker.
    But in game mechanics, Barbarian is more fitting to him. They are terms that are used interchangeably but culturally, he is a barbarian, I think.
    That was how I felt about it. I'd love to see some more NPC with decent stories and bearable voice acting that aren't horribly overpowered and posses some of the more unloved classes.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Minsc was born to be a barbarian!
    Khalid wanted to be a fighter/mage... but Jaheira said no.
    Shar-Teel = Berserker
    Tiax = Jester
    Imoen = Gnome thief/illusionist

Imoen = Gnome thief/illusionist

I do this a lot!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sounds great. This should be a mod.

As an aside, I think barbarians are very underrated while berserkers are overrated, at least on these forums.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Here is some supplemental Lore information

2nd edition lore (from Spellbound: Thay, Aglarond, and Rashemen - page 71)

Although all Rashemaar - —both male and female— - consider
    themselves warriors, the true elite of Rashemen are
    the berserkers, those fighters who capable of entering a
    mad battle-rage terrifying to friend and foe alike.
    When a young warrior decides to become a berserker,
    he or she joins a berserker lodge - —a warrior society with
    an animal spirit totem from which its given fighting style
    is taken. The fledgling berserker is then trained in the
    various self-hypnosis and fighting techniques which are
    used to create the berserker rage. The young berserker is
    considered a full lodge member when he or she first goes
    berserk in battle.
    The lodges maintain various forts and steads throughout
    Rashemen. Here, berserkers gather to sing, drink ale
    and jhuild (firewine), and tell stories of valor. Each lodge
    fields one or more fangs of warriors (see page 73), and
    their berserkers may be called up at any time by the
    huhrong or the witches, should the nation be threatened
    or if a particularly powerful or challenging monster or
    raiding band is abroad in the land.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I always put Khalid to fighter/mage (apparently, that was the original intention for him), switch Monty over to assassin, occasionally make Kivan an archer despite his love of two handed weapons (that's more convenient for me then my true vision of him), and often enough switch Minsc to barbarian.

In BG2, I often make Yoshimo a dualed fighter/thief. That's just making things convenient again; I don't think there's really much lore saying he should be like that.

I've made Haer'Dalis a swashbuckler when I badly needed a thief but didn't want Jan, Imoen, or Nalia (and Yoshimo, you know, does that Yoshimo thing). But then I changed him back and went thiefless. Wee!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Coran should be a blade. Imoen should have stayed thief. Khalid should be a fighter/Mage. Monty should be an assassin. Safana should be a swashbuckler. Dynahier should be a Mage/cleric. Yeslick should have a proper dwarf-exclusive kit.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    I left Minsc as a ranger since his dialogue with Jaheira confirmed his ranger status. That was a long time ago when I took him into my BG1 party - I never liked him much and have never used him in BG2.
    Khalid as a fighter mage could be a source of great fun! :) I just like to make the party a little more diverse from time to time, after 15 years it's kind of a must.
    Might try Jaheria as a totemic druid. :)
    Imoen as a Thief/Illusionist sounds awesome to! :D I've never really used Safana or Shar-teel.
    @Buttercheese‌ I have it, but never played it. Always wanted to import a character but never finished the first game.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    MotB is the best. It's perhaps what ToB should have been.
    Was I the only one who modded out that annoying mechanic MotB had? I thought it was great the first few playthroughs but after the 3rd it got very annoying.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    It's just a shame that Minsc Mini-Mod is not EE-compatible.
    I was just thinking earlier, is the EEKeeper capable of changing the Minsc.cre file? Permanently? Without doing any damage? I was wondering if I should get off my ass and make a Minsc to Barbarian mod for those that want it.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @CaloNord‌:
    Nope, I cheated/ modded the shit out of my NWN2 and MotB, too.
    Up to six party members? Check.
    Bishop romance? Check.
    Sand flirts? Check.
    No more spirit-eater bar? Check.

I am every dev's nightmare :'D
    @Buttercheese‌ Oh good! I had I think 4 companions and me. Anymore then that got a little crowded! Sand was AMAZING! I want him in BG. :P He's an elf he lives for a VERY long time... he could have been in BG!
    The spirit eater bar was a great mechanic for the first few plays, after that it became a pain in the ass. Hahaha Likewise. :P I usually have two copies, a non modded original run as intended, then a modded version for fun re runs :)
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    ACTUALLY, I just did the math yesterday, NWN2 takes place only six years after BG1. So yeeeeaaaaah.
    I am all for a Sand mod, he is one of my favourite characters period.

And now that I think of it, "Spirit Eater Bar" sounds like a place, just like Scumm Bar xD
    Mos Eisley Cantina...
    For a random 2 minute doodle. Here is Minsc as a Barbarian. Needs a new game but he now has the kit I prefer him with. :) If anyone want's to share in it without having to remake Minsc every game, just drop it into the Override folder. ;)
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    I agree that barbarian (and berserker) suits Minsc better than ranger. Although, I’m curious what people think of him as a ferelan. Ferelan is a ranger kit from the Unfinished Business mod.

The description of the Feralan kit is follows:

FERALAN: What happens to children who wander in the wilderness and are never recovered? Or worse, those who are abandoned there? Many succumb to the dangers of the wild, but a fortunate few are taken in by animals, raised as a part of a lion`s brood, or a wolf`s litter. Cut off from civilization, they gradually take on the characteristics of the creatures who adopted them, forming some kind of unity with the spirit of the wild. In the process they become feralans, beings who combine the savagery of beasts with the intellect of man.

Due to their wild nature, Feralans may not be of Lawful alignment. As Rangers, they are limited to Good alignments.

Advantages:
    - +10% to Stealth ability
    - Gains +1 AC at first level, and a further bonus of +1 AC per 5 levels
    - May go into a Feral Rage once per day per 10 levels. The enraged state lasts for 60 seconds, and grants a bonus of +2 to hit, damage, and AC, and immunity to charm, hold and fear, maze, imprisonment, stun and sleep. He also gains 15 temporary hit points
    - May cast Call of the Wild once per day. This summons an animal companion who will fight for the caster for 3 rounds + 1 round/level. More powerful creatures are summoned at higher levels

Disadvantages:
    - Becomes winded after Feral Rage. While he's winded he receives -2 to hit, -2 to damage and a +2 penalty to armor class.
    - Limited to one proficiency point in Bastard Sword, Long Sword, Short Sword, Two - Handed Sword, Katana, Scimitar, Halberd, Flail and Crossbow
    - May not wear any armour or use Large Shields
    - Maximum Charisma is 2 points lower than a standard member of the race

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    If you really want to get inside Rashemen, in a kind of "understand the nature of the place and its people, especially it's beserker fighters" kind of way rather than a "rules and stats" way try reading Windwalker the final book of the Starlight and Shadows trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. It let me picture Minsc in a new light. In fact the whole trilogy taught me more about Berserkers and shape-shifters, as well as a lot more about the Drow. Also these books are a damn good read :D
    The Feralan ranger kit would bar for the disadvantages, I don't think the no armour suits him at all. Nor does the 1 proficiency. He seems pretty capable as far as weapons and armour go. If it allowed him to wear armour up to chain and put ** or *** in weapons then it would be flawless.

That being said those are more role play/fluff disadvantages rather then gameplay ones.

@kiwidoc‌ I've skimmed over Elaine Cunningham many times at the local Angus & Robertson, might have to go back for a closer look now!! :)