Skip to content

Game of Thrones, what to do until the next season?!

CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
edited June 2014 in Off-Topic
Right, just before I go off and do some actual work.

With the conclusion of another rather epic season of Game of Thrones, what in gods name do I do now? It's a whole year before anymore are aired. There is a hole that needs filling!

What should it be filled with?!? :O
Doritos and french onion dip?
Bones or NCIS?
Castle?
FIREFLY *Make More Make More Make More Make More*

Aid me brothers and sisters! :D What are the other fans on the board doing to fill this hole in entertainment? :D
Post edited by CaloNord on

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    You're missing the most important one: Baldur's Gate!
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Oh yes!! We are starting a serious binge on that! :P I have constructed a fighter who will master spears and shorbows for my own personal play through :) I also have a Cleric of Tyr to go with my fiancee's sorcerer for our first play through together! :D He's being role played as supremely arrogant who always talks of himself in the third person so it's going to be interest to see how long it takes her to, you know, hurt me. :P
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Legend of Korra season 3 just started last weekend, so I will be watching this for now :D
    I don't know how familiar you are with Avatar: The last Airbender, but the series is pure gold, if you havn't watched it already, you should watch it now UvU (Also, Rasaad was obviously heavily inspired by this cartoon, just saiyan :P )
    Mmm I have never seen it to my recollections, which are hazy and dim... :P
    I shall download and have a lookie! ;)
    Oh my was he now? So he's an homage? :P
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I will do what I always do.
    I have seen just the first season, and I'll wait for the last season to watch all the episodes in a row.

I have to confess that I'm a huge fan of george r r martin, but I'm one of those scared by the chance of his death before he will be able to finish the saga.
    I hate to wait 5-6 years for each book without being sure that I will eventually be able to know how that incredible mess will end!
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Watching the previous season since I have to wait a year longer than the rest of you D:
    Seriously tho, waiting an entire year for something to come to your country (I am in the same boat btw) is OUTRAGEOUS. We are living in the age of the internet and globalization. I am already pretty pissed off when Hollywood and co. decide to bring out movies here a few months after their release in the USA. That's just shitty you have no idea how hard it was to avoid spoilers for the Lego Movie and The Winter Soldier. Or everything else -.- Their own fault if they can't go with the times. (And yes, I do buy the DVD/ BluRay at release.)
    Squire said:

The Tudors, and Rome, if you haven't seen those already. They are both in a similar vein to Game of Thrones (i.e. lots of nasty gritty bloody violence and lots of sex), but they're based on actual historical events. Both are very good. The Borgias is also worth watching too.

In fact, Rome has Mance Rayder in it, as well as the guy from Ironclad, and The Tudors has Margaery Tyrell.

"The White Queen" is also worth a mention. It focuses on the women of three major houses competing against one another in the War of the Roses. And if you're familiar with that history... Well, let's just say you shouldn't get attached to anyone.
    Squire said:

The Tudors, and Rome.

I'm going to pick up the Tudor's today, Rome I may have to find myself though. Both Rome and the Tudors have received some pretty high praise, it's hard to find shows that take history at least a little seriously, even though they all inevitably ignore it at some point. ;)
    jackjack said:

I have to wait a year longer than the rest of you D:

(I am in the same boat btw) is OUTRAGEOUS.

Where do you guys live?! I thought it was bad here having to wait a day for it to come out on PayTV here, I've been getting my Game of Thrones online and getting the box sets when they come out on DVD. Australia has gotten a fair bit better in recent years not making you wait months for a TV show. That said we are still a few weeks behind the US in most thing. We also don't have as many pay/free tv channels as the States does so we don't get as many shows.

"The White Queen" is also worth a mention.

That one I'm not familiar with but I love the War of the Rose's. A seriously under appreciated little bit of world history! :D
    Pibaro said:

I will do what I always do.
    I have seen just the first season, and I'll wait for the last season to watch all the episodes in a row.
    I have to confess that I'm a huge fan of george r r martin, but I'm one of those scared by the chance of his death before he will be able to finish the saga.
    I hate to wait 5-6 years for each book without being sure that I will eventually be able to know how that incredible mess will end!

HAHA! Your not the only one who's voiced this concern, there was a message somewhere on his Facebook thing ages ago that just said "Don't you DARE die". He does take his sweet time writing but he did say that he refuses to limit himself to one series at a time. He writes bits and pieces all over the place. Apparently he's told the producers roughly where it's going so they can make it for the series if the worst should come to pass.

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'm in the process of watching the entire Star Trek: Next Generation... From start to finish.

Not watched them since I was a kid, really loving how well they hold up to the passage of time.
    TNG and Deep Space Nine were my favorites. Deep Space Nine was a very refreshing change to! :) I liked the space station and seeing the Federation fight a full on war rather the border skirmishes was very good to :) Had a few hit and miss episodes but every trek is like that! :) Star Trek: Enterprise wasn't bad either, just wish it had one more season to cover a bit more of the Earth Romulan war :) Very very good franchise on the whole.
    PICARD IS THE BEST CAPTAIN *Runs for cover.*
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I live in New York City, but I wait until the episodes are available on iTunes. I don't even own a TV, so HBO's not worth the price to me.
    Ahhh! NYC! :) You aren't likely to be murdered at any moment are you? Or is that a TV cliche? :P
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Personally I'm continuing to plot my rise to sitting on the iron throne :D
    Oh well now... that would quite the cross over episode wouldn't it... "Elminster plots to take the throne. The Sex, the Intrigue, the Betrayal, The Sage of Shadowdale unmasked!!"
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    CaloNord said:

Game of Thrones, what to do until the next season?!

Nothing to worry about. Drinking and lust. To become the god of tits and wine...
    HAHAHAHAH!! :D Damn straight! @JessicaKrystal‌ would love that! :P Hahaha
    @CaloNord‌: I live in the land of classical music and Haribo UvU
    Deutschland! Mmmm Haribo...
    CaloNord said:

TNG and Deep Space Nine were my favorites. Deep Space Nine was a very refreshing change to! :) I liked the space station and seeing the Federation fight a full on war rather the border skirmishes was very good to :) Had a few hit and miss episodes but every trek is like that! :) Star Trek: Enterprise wasn't bad either, just wish it had one more season to cover a bit more of the Earth Romulan war :) Very very good franchise on the whole.
    PICARD IS THE BEST CAPTAIN *Runs for cover.*

Deep Space Nine is my favorite.
    I really love it.
    I hate ST: Enterprise. I stopped watching it after a couple of seasons.
    Voyager is good.... until when they decided that the Borg wasn't a threat anymore :((((
    The Borg were the most badass in the history of science fiction!!!
    The end of DS9 was just beautiful. Still find it one of the best conclusions of any TV show I've seen. Three things about Voyager that annoyed me, Neelix was the first. I wanted to hurt him. The Kazon. Who look like humans that fell in some mud and never washed their hair again because it looked OH SO GOOD. The Borg, they used to be badass!!! SO BADASS! They wrecked 38 ships at Wolf 359 and another one at Sector 001 and a lone ship, stuck in the Delta quadrant kicked the crap out of them!?
    Squire said:

I dunno...personally I wasn't that struck on The White Queen. It felt a little tame by comparison, and lacked the nasty grittiness of its contemporaries. I also found most of the characters to be a bit bland, except for the Earl of Warwick. It's a shame, because I love the War of the Roses period too, even if the wrong side won. ;-)

Oh yeah, that Vikings series made by the History Channel is also worth a watch (although the Saxons' armour is a little bit weird!), and a lot of people recommend a series about pirates called Black Sails, but I've yet to see that one.

Supposedly it started off really tame when it was created for BBC, but once Starz picked it up, they added more sex scenes and needless nudity. You're right that it's not as gritty as Game of Thrones, though sometimes I think Thrones over-does-it a little.

It's so funny to me how the premium channels add in the extra R-content just because they can. XD

I also second "Vikings." SO GOOD.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Black Sails is watchable... It's not *great* TV, but really good fun.... Which is what a pirate show really ought to be about anyway.
    And it's nice to see the old Walrus crew in another light.
    Vikings is AMAZING! I don't know why we don't let the History Channel loose to make TV shows a little more often! :D They take a few liberties here and there ;) but it's not meant to be a documentary! :D It's a great show to! :D

It seems to be a thing these days, LOOK! BOOBS! They have NO purpose in the story, BUT LOOK AT THEM! :P

Pirate show?! I'm IN! :D Speaking of, aren't they making another Pirates of the Caribbean?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Eeeeh, I'll wait for the next book. I'm not watching the series, I like reading better :)
    What I would do if I had to wait for the next season? Play BG :P
    That's pretty much what I plan to do! ;) I can get a year of fun out of this! ;)
    You can watch the first season if you've read up to date. :) It won't cover anything you don't already know :) 7 books and apparently 7 seasons. Although I don't see how that will work... They used two books for the last season...
    No one mentioned "Person of Interest", but I think it's the best show in the last few years.
    I've seen the first few episodes of that! I really enjoy it! I find the concept quite beautiful as well. Simple and cool.
    I also quite liked Human Target from a year or two ago. Sadly got canned. :(
    At the moment we are watching Bones and Castle. :) I love Nathan Fillion from his Firefly days! :)
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    There are a few choices - here's my serious suggestions.

You could dig out your old DVDs of Battlestar Galactica and watch ALL of them ... back to back ... only stopping for loo breaks, meals, sleep and necessary shopping.

Or you could find The Borgias and watch that. Not quite as gritty as GOT, but as Machiavellian as all hell ... in fact it has Machiavelli in it. I think it has one of the most bloodthirsty title sequences ever, while still being in perfectly good taste.Loads and loads of sex as well - and it has JEREMY IRONS! Go Jeremy. It's a real bugger they cancelled the show :(

Read the Song of Ice and Fire books - it won't necessarily spoil the next season. I've read all the published books at least three times in the last two years and hell, I never knew what was coming next in the latest series.

Read any good speculative fiction (sci-fi, science fantasy and fantasy). Do what I did a few years back - look through these two sites http://www.sfadb.com/ & http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/index.html (don't worry - the cover fantasy!), find an author, read the summaries and reviews and you'll find something that really appeals to you.

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Here's my less than serious suggestion

Wander round the house singing the GoT theme tune ... but not the normal way, this way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHlzIgSvnYc