Skip to content

Auto Identify Duplicated Items

abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
If a character has already Identified (through the spell) a Long Sword +2, or a Ring of Protection +1, surely they'd recognise it when they picked up a second one?

Just a convenience issue really...

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I wouldn't mind this. Maybe based on intelligence? If I'm smart enough to figure it out? Or have the law requirement to ID another reduced?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It would certainly make inventory management in Throne of Bhaal a lot simpler. I don't know that this sort of thing could be accomplished simply, though, and it certainly wouldn't fit any PnP rule I've heard of.
    No me neither, it would seem to be more of a convenience thing, which probably makes it better to leave it to a modder? I wouldn't be against it but it might not be Beamdogs place to blatantly ignore the rules upon which the game is based?
    I'm not rightly sure. :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CaloNord said:

No me neither, it would seem to be more of a convenience thing, which probably makes it better to leave it to a modder? I wouldn't be against it but it might not be Beamdogs place to blatantly ignore the rules upon which the game is based?

Meh the game already was doing that. Magic resistance is a perfect example (strictly from a PnP standpoint it should work on the spells from both allies and enemies).

Anyways I support this proposal.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    CaloNord said:

Oh, heh. All of the IE games (EEs included) break with PnP rules so often that it's not really worth noting. They have their own house rules to make the game more fun and to minimize the more tedious aspects of the rulesets. I know I'm not very keen on taking large breaks from quests to level up or learn grandmastery in a weapon. Non-instantaneous identify spells and requiring spell components are not missed.
    elminster said:

Meh the game already was doing that. Magic resistance is a perfect example (strictly from a PnP standpoint it should work on the spells from both allies and enemies).

Hmm, I thought magic resistance could be lowered at will. This would make BG2's interpretation (beneficial spells generally ignore MR) a little more in line with PnP than BG.
    True that. But, should Beamdog bring it closer to PnP or leave it the way it was? Even if it is the way it is because the original design was flawed?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    CaloNord said:

True that. But, should Beamdog bring it closer to PnP or leave it the way it was? Even if it is the way it is because the original design was flawed?

This is a question we're constantly dealing with, yes. Nothing gets automatically included or rejected because of PnP compliance, but it's certainly a factor when we discuss inclusion of feature requests or bug reports.

I was trying to make the point (with tongue firmly in cheek) that folks would be better served pointing out how it'd make for a better game rather than citing source material. It's not that the latter is irrelevant, just that the former carries more weight.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Actually, due a bug in BG(2):EE, if you have an identified arrow of a particular type and pick up one of the same type, the arrows stack, identified. And they can't even be identified by that character's Lore.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2014
    abacus said:

If a character has already Identified (through the spell) a Long Sword +2, or a Ring of Protection +1, surely they'd recognise it when they picked up a second one?

Just a convenience issue really...

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true. It's not like Rings of Protection +1 are made in a sweatshop factory by enslaved gnomes. Each would be a unique item, probably crafted from a ring of finest workmanship by a master goldsmith, imbued with magic by a powerful wizard who left his personal signature in the ring's runes.

And yes, I know the game uses the same item file for all Rings of Protection +1, but I'm thinking in terms of the PC's world.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CrevsDaak said:

Actually, due a bug in BG(2):EE, if you have an identified arrow of a particular type and pick up one of the same type, the arrows stack, identified. And they can't even be identified by that character's Lore.

Best bug ever :p
    CamDawg said:

Hmm, I thought magic resistance could be lowered at will. This would make BG2's interpretation (beneficial spells generally ignore MR) a little more in line with PnP than BG.

Yea looks like you are correct.