Skip to content

Are you an English teacher?!(we kno your out they're)

13»

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    And one more... if you love books, you'll enjoy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVcQnyEIT8
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JRRJRR Member Posts: 21
    I am not a teacher, but I'm qualified to teach college level English.
  • LoubLoub Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2014
    Back to the forums, I am.

Yes, as I am all too happy to point during multiple occasions, I am an English Teacher, despite what my paycheck says until next month, when I will be able to request for an emergency contract with the state (half of the course must be completed before you are able to be relegated to teaching... in theory - in practice it just means they will pay you next to nothing as an unregulated PIBID educator (which get paid less than 200 dollars per month due to not qualifying as 'work' in the law, despite the minimum wage being 350 bucks) while giving you the same responsibilities, but not authority.).

There is a fundamental difference in the exertion of my profession compared to that of others, given that most of my students display some sort of auditory impairment, which requires me to use Libras as a way of assisting in the comprehension of the subject, which is, as a necessity, only transmitted through writing, given the inability for most of them to comprehend the basal linguistics of the language, doubly so given that lip-reading is next to impossible given that there are several fundamental differences in the labial inflection between the Portuguese and English languages.

There are multiple difficulties in the magistery for the deaf since an important link in the linguistical chain is utmostly absent, and as a consequence, the greenwich in its sky is impossible to place, leaving the transmission of even the simplest of linguistical signs not only quartered, but charred beyond any and all recognition. I could spend hours expatiating upon this... ordeal - but I'm certain very few among you would be interested, let alone able to comprehend, my discourse.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited July 2014
    Loub said:

Back to the forums, I am.

Yes, as I am all too happy to point during multiple occasions, I am an English Teacher, despite what my paycheck says until next month, when I will be able to request for an emergency contract with the state (half of the course must be completed before you are able to be relegated to teaching... in theory - in practice it just means they will pay you next to nothing as an unregulated PIBID educator (which get paid less than 200 dollars per month due to not qualifying as 'work' in the law, despite the minimum wage being 350 bucks) while giving you the same responsibilities, but not authority.).

There is a fundamental difference in the exertion of my profession compared to that of others, given that most of my students display some sort of auditory impairment, which requires me to use Libras as a way of assisting in the comprehension of the subject, which is, as a necessity, only transmitted through writing, given the inability for most of them to comprehend the basal linguistics of the language, doubly so given that lip-reading is next to impossible given that there are several fundamental differences in the labial inflection between the Portuguese and English languages.

There are multiple difficulties in the magistery for the deaf since an important link in the linguistical chain is utmostly absent, and as a consequence, the greenwich in its sky is impossible to place, leaving the transmission of even the simplest of linguistical signs not only quartered, but charred beyond any and all recognition. I could spend hours expatiating upon this... ordeal - but I'm certain very few among you would be interested, let alone able to comprehend, my discourse.

I think I follow you. . . it's hard to teach deaf people English?

Especially since English is so graceless to begin with? :P

Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Latin, all flow so nicely. :) Granted it's not as bad as German. ;) 'Das haus de frau!!'