Skip to content

Are you an English teacher?!(we kno your out they're)

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
edited June 2014 in Off-Topic
As I'm sure many of you are aware, it seems this forum has a far greater concentration of teachers, especially those of "engrish". As far as I can gather, teachers make up 7% or the adult working population in the us, and 2% of the general population. And yes, I've made it anonymous in case somebody doesn't want us friendly folk knowing who they are(I can't imagine why).
@CaloNord‌ and @Booinyoureyes seemed interested in my activity post. @anduin I know you're out there.
Cross your fingers an hope i didn't F up the poll options:)
And now:
  1. Are you an English teacher?!(we kno your out they're)42 votes
    1. Yes. I teach English.
        7.14%
    2. I am a teacher, but but not of English.
      11.90%
    3. I am not a 'teacher' per se, but I consider myself an 'educator'(e.i. Principle, music teacher, ect)
      14.29%
    4. I was once, but no longer.
        2.38%
    5. Not at the present, though I wish I was.
      11.90%
    6. No. I am not a teacher in any sense of the word, at least in relation to my job.
      52.38%

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @CaloNord‌ oops, I spelled your name wrong:)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    Sup!
    Bit of a busy day today, so can't follow this poll much, but I will vote a little later

I have worked as a TA (Teacher's Assistant) for Physiology at school
    I also TAed (ha! English teachers will throw a fit at how I conjure verbs from mere nouns!) when I was in college for both Organic Chemistry and two history classes (Modern History of the Middle East and Women in East Asia)
    I also worked for Kaplan in high school as a tutor for kids taking the SAT exams

I was never a teacher, but wondering if you would you consider this "educator" or no? (like the 3rd option)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited June 2014

Sup!
    Bit of a busy day today, so can't follow this poll much, but I will vote a little later

I have worked as a TA (Teacher's Assistant) for Physiology at school
    I also TAed (ha! English teachers will throw a fit at how I conjure verbs from mere nouns!) when I was in college for both Organic Chemistry and two history classes (Modern History of the Middle East and Women in East Asia)
    I also worked for Kaplan in high school as a tutor for kids taking the SAT exams

I was never a teacher, but wondering if you would you consider this "educator" or no? (like the 3rd option)

I was an assistant as well for "Image processing in medical imaging", does that count?
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    The easiest poll ever for me :)
    No, definitely I'm not a teacher :D
    edited June 2014
    If you where an assistant once, I guess it's up to you. I believe @booinyoureyes‌ wants to be a doctor, but if he considers himself a teacher that's fine. I'm mostly talking about it as a career though.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I work in a Library, I have a degree in English, but I am not a "teacher" per se. I do run a class in the library teaching people how to use E-bay. And I know enough English to spell "Know" correctly in titles. ;)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    meagloth said:

If you where an assistant once, I guess it's up to you. I believe @booinyoureyes‌ wants to be a doctor, but if he considers himself a teacher that's fine. I'm mostly talking about it as a career though.

then i guess not. last option
    elminster said:

Me teach english? Thats umpausible!

Me like this
    LadyRhian said:

I work in a Library, I have a degree in English, but I am not a "teacher" per se. I do run a class in the library teaching people how to use E-bay. And I know enough English to spell "Know" correctly in titles. ;)

But what about the correct there and you're, @LadyRhian‌?!!?????

;P
    @Meagloth I know the difference there. They're not the same. ;)
    Also, your "You're" is not there. ;)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I did tutor English at my community college, though only for a few months. I was wrapping up my AA degree, so I tutored for credit; I liked it so much that I did it again for pay on my last quarter. I wish I'd started sooner before I had to leave... When I eventually go back to school for a BA, though, I'll definitely do it again. Maybe even work for a teaching license.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

meagloth said:

then i guess not. last option
    elminster said:

Me teach english? Thats umpausible!

Me like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sor0LXiSZg
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Someday I will do for acting students what my instructors have done for me. But for now, I am still learning to act. In 20 years or so, I hope I will be ready to teach.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    meagloth said:

Don't worry, I'm now known as CaloNerd. ;) Hehehehe! I'm not a teacher, though I would LOVE to teach history. :) Or a science. Sadly, I'm just not that smart! ;)
    jackjack said:

Someday I will do for acting students what my instructors have done for me. But for now, I am still learning to act. In 20 years or so, I hope I will be ready to teach.

A honourable profession! :) I would love to act! Please tell me, theater actor... not screen right? Theater is where it's at ;) You can go screen later but actors who started in the theater then move to the screen just seem to have something... extra. I mainly mean Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart.

@meagloth‌ Yes. Why yes we do love your posts! :) Keep 'em up! :D:D
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Teacher? You'd better call me a student. I always learn.

No matter I have finished my University long time ago, I'm still learning. Especially English because it's not my native language.

And you know, this forum is one of the best places to practice my English and to learn some lessons.
    @bengoshi‌ I was reading through you "This is a great forum" topic from last year. Your English has improved SIGNIFICANTLY since then! :) It's better then a lot of people I know who speak English as their first language. :P
    edited July 2014
    @CaloNord‌
    I started in the theatre, I will die in the theatre.
    (I do stuff on screen in between shows).
    @jackjack‌
    The way it's meant to be! If only I had an iota of talent! :P
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'm not a teacher, but it seems about half of my friends are. At least I get to hear funny stories about kids being idiots.
    @meagloth I see what you did their.
    edited July 2014
    CaloNord said:

meagloth said:

Don't worry, I'm now known as CaloNerd. ;) Hehehehe! I'm not a teacher, though I would LOVE to teach history. :) Or a science. Sadly, I'm just not that smart! ;)
    Lol. You don't have to be smart to be a teacher. Trust me, I go to school. (Not knocking the profession, of course. You Definitely Don't have to be dumb. If you do choose to do that,[in the us, anyway] you're taking a very high-stress, sometimes dangerous job for incredibly low pay, and doing something that this country really needs.)
    But I've also had some really dumb teachers. And bad ones. And crazy ones.
    I also wish I could act. We did hamlet in English this year, and had people read it out loud with different parts(which I usually hate, but in case of a play it's acceptable.) and I was hamlet the whole time. I actually really liked it, most of the time. After a month or two it occasionally seems like a chore. I also had a great teacher. He actually knew a lot about the period, and the weapons. He's the fencing instructor. That was great cause I'm the kind of person who dislikes a version of Romeo and Juliet because they're using broadswords.
    You want to do it? Do it! Do they offer theatre at your school? If so, get involved and see if you enjoy it :)
    @meagloth You have to be smart to teach at a university, though.

@meagloth You have to be smart to teach at a university, though.

That definitely depends on the university.
    Oxford, Cambridge, Hull....
    Oxfords a complete dump...
    Damn it... @Corvino‌ I did it again....
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Haha, Hull is nowhere near as bad as its reputation. Unless you get drunk and wander down an alley at 3am on your own. But then you only have yourself to blame.

The University's pretty good, all things considered.