Skip to content

My concerns...

Hi guys,
I'm new to the game and my biggest concern is the difficulty, not the gameplay, but mechanics and structure.
Should I go for a walktrough or just play with no help? I fear missing special itens or such things...

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'd advise against using walkthroughs... Much of the pleasure of RPGs comes from discovery... Which you'll miss out on if you're just following a list of instructions.

Most experienced players long to be able to get back that "first play" feeling, so make the most of it!

The games have loads of potential for replay, so you'll find everything eventually. :)

If you have any specific issues or difficulties with certain enemies/areas, then people on here will be happy to give you a nudge in the right direction.

Happy adventuring!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I concur with both @CaloNord‌ and @abacus‌

The worst thing that can happen in BG is not when you miss a certain NPC/item/quest but when you get a spoiler from a walkthrough. Nothing can be like your own experience.

Savor your first playthrough!
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Oh my what I wouldn't give for a first play through again. I'm watching the fun on my fiancee's face as she plays through it for the first time. It's wonderful. :D
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Completely agree with everyone here: one's first BG run is never forgotten.
    Play freely, don't rush, you'll enjoy this beautiful game a thousand time more than playing it while reading a walkthrough.
    Discover the game, it's full of little things that only awaits you to be uncovered and enjoyed: environments, dialogues, NPCs, quests and plenty of items will quench your thirst for adventure.
    Play BG:EE and then go straight on BGII:EE. This saga is a continuous crescendo!
    You'll not regret it! ;D
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Hell yea! :D Dive in and have fun! Enjoy it! In 15 years you'd give a kidney to be able to do it again! :)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited July 2014
    jnalves10 said:

Thank you guys, guess I'll do it with no guides then xD. Let the fun begin!!

Glad you took everybody's advice.

You'll love it! :)

ps: No walkthrough does not mean no resources at all. Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck or confused about anything. Some guides are also not spoilery.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    My advice is always the same.
    Try everything you can try.
    Read every spell/ability description, and use every new spell/ability you gain.
    You don't have to read every book you find (but they are interesting, so it's up to you).
    Pause the game if you fight a dangerous enemy, and don't be afraid to use every potion/wand/scroll you have in your inventory.
    My last advice is: have fun!