Skip to content

The Most Bada** Bard Class v.2

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Dragonspear‌ As long as you're not doing it for pure "I want to be overpowered while still playing a 'bard' huehuehueh" If you genuinely like the sword dancer style of role-play, then good on you! I honestly think it's pretty awesome, but the "must always be OP" crowd has soured me on the poor Blade. Maybe one day I'll make Kiel from Radiant Historia as my blade protagonist, since he's an awesome character who's a sword dancer. (Off topic I know, but Radiant Historia? Really good RPG. Like, seriously excellent RPG.)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Elrandir‌

To be fair, between this post and your thief one, I'm really considering an evil assassin playthrough and a good blade playthrough instead of my current runs. I feel that in terms of the Bhaal blood spectrum, the smartass NG Blade raised by Gorian in Candlekeep is the counterpart to the NE (also likely smartass, can't help some personality flaws from the person playing it) Assassin who just feels assassinating in her Blood.

Chances are both will be elf too, even though I have to EE keeper the stupid blade =/
    I tend towards Elves and Humans for the most part myself. Never really got into halflings or gnomes. And I'm racist against poor dwarves. They're often limited to fighter and cleric only in my world
    Feh. You and your pretty people.
    I think it's less "pretty" people and more that elusive finesse/tactic based fighter. Now I'll give it to halflings that due to their size they require that as well. And even though I "Main" a paladin in multiple things at this point, often with an all out assault playstyle (especially with 2hers), I much prefer tactical or finesse based combat choices. Spears for example are one of my favorite if underrated (and thus far never used in a BG run for my main character) weapon choices out of every game.

So ya, I don't mean to keep derailing this thread into random gameplay aspects or RP that I enjoy =)

Disclaimer: another reason I don't use halflings (like for my assassin) is because with their huge extra thief point spread it feels like cheating.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Thanks @CaloNord and @Meagloth! I love the pics on you guys. :)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Woo!! Spears are grossly underloved!! :D Can't wait to get to the Impaler! :P Hahah :D Hell yea! Got a 98! :D Not my best but I clicked right on past a 99. >.<
    Thinking more about it, I think Spear will likely be used with my jester as well, simply because a well used spear outside of a forumation is also great at sewing confusion =)

Also @meagloth‌ your pic reminds me of gambit
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809

Thinking more about it, I think Spear will likely be used with my jester as well, simply because a well used spear outside of a forumation is also great at sewing confusion =)

Exactly my thoughts! Besides, now you can use Minsc as a human shield. ;)

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Also @meagloth‌ your pic reminds me of gambit

That's what all my more superhero literate friends said. I'd never heard of him, but upon som research it looks like it may be not of him, but definitely inspired by him. From what I gather gambit throws cards, not dice, he doesn't wear a hat, and his stick doesn't have a pointy metal bit on the end(which you can't see in my cropped version. Here:

It's also way to medieval to actually be him. So there you go. Possibly inspired, but probably not of.
    Oh, right, one more thing. I shamelessly traced the pic for a painting I'm doing, and I think this is more true to my character(it's not much different) but I'm not good enough at drawing faces to use it as the portrait.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    The pic is of a character from wheel of time series "Matrim Cauthon" or Mat

The pic is of a character from wheel of time series "Matrim Cauthon" or Mat

Oooh... I think I may have known that. Now that you mention it that sound right. Funny someone didn't bring it up, one of my friends keeps going on and on about the wheel of time books, apparently one of the characters shares my name(not meagloth), and he thinks that's a big deal.
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    edited July 2014
    A poll about bards and no one posted The Bard Song yet? Let me rectify that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC7iR577OQw
    Edit: Voted Skald, because they have the best bard song till epic levels.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2014
    got to love the bard. I like all the kits, not a fan of blades though they feel like a cop out to me

also I agree it sucks that halflings cant be bards
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I prefer to play Blade usually, but Skald is more bizare. I've often contemplated soloing with a skald, relying on summons and song. Blade isnt REALLY overpowered, but s truly competetive bard is unexpected.
    @SethDavis‌ I never knew that existed. I preferred not knowing.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Blade because I always like my characters to be able to fight a little, in case they get cornered or ambushed, even though my style of playing a Bard is usually as support caster and crossbowman - with the Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy, even a rogue's feeble THAC0 is enough to hit targets pretty reliably. I don't often find the (ordinary) Bard song very useful, because I'll usually have a Mage or Cleric buff against fear before any major battle, so that the Bard can use his crossbow instead of singing.

Jester is also a credible option, for playing a more song-based style. Jester has always seemed to me particularly suitable (in an RP sense) for an Evil run, but I don't play Evil very often.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    SethDavis said:

one step closer to the class I want the most

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Evil_Clown_(3.5e_NPC_Class)

@SethDavis‌ did you ever see the 3.5 Jester, from Dragon magazine? Weird but a bit of a powerhouse. Also the Gray Jester from Heros of Horror? Legitimately evil.

Also, that Clown is overpowered! In a good way. Great idea for a major villain.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I like the idea of the jester, a character who deliberately plays the fool. Others laugh at them, ignore them. And they use this against their foes, those who confused playfulness for weakness, those who ignore what's underneath the mask and those who think a fool is only ever a fool all pay for they ignorance

They are especially ***ass with the RR mod.