Skip to content

Play through Baldurs Gate twice for stats?

Would you play through twice to get all the tomes? One for you and one for an NPC. I might just edit in a second set so one of my BG2 NPCs can be overpowered.

Comments

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited July 2014
    Well, personally I don't considere giving tomes to NPC profitable just because NPCs don't inherit stats you boost with tomes from BG to BGII, and it seems that you want to do all this for that reason.
    In BG2 you don't encounter all NPCs form BG and some of those you encounter aren't joinable.
    The few you re-encounter have enhanced stats, but these are pre-set stats however, and may be different from the boosts you give to NPCs in BG.
    Of course there are many new NPCs in BGII, but maybe you already know that.
    I suggest you to do just a run in BG, giving all tomes to your CHARNAME, then go to BGII. If you really want to have NPCs with personalized stats in BGII you could use console commands to spawn tomes or just use EEKeeper to alter their stats as you wish, like @bengoshi said. :)

EDIT: in BGII:EE the exploit once used to import all your inventory form BG is no more, so you can't import tomes in BGII:EE from BG:EE in that way, only via console.
    Post edited by Metalloman on
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    I'll try anyway "the hunt for stat tomes" If Jaheira gets them she is a lot more powerful.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    You could always just add the tomes to a merchant for 20k each. Atleast then you'd have a reason to collect gold.

Or add them to the random treasure table of the toughest creatures. 1/20 chance to get a tome each time you kill the demon knight or greater werewolf.
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    It's nice when you find one at random, as opposed to planning a stat increase into your game.
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    I find the tomes only useful for breaking certain thresholds i.e. 19str, 20int(19 still nice), and 20con. 18wis /dex/cha I find sufficient. I'd view rerunning with the same character exclusively for tomes a waste of time.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Just keep the tomes, export them on one character, enter multi, import, save-load-export-import. You can do your thing until your stats are satisfactory enough for you.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    fanscale said:

I'll try anyway "the hunt for stat tomes" If Jaheira gets them she is a lot more powerful.

But there's no point, she won't carry the extra stats over to BG2. She starts out as a brand new character there, not a port over from your BG1 game.
    fanscale said:

It's nice when you find one at random, as opposed to planning a stat increase into your game.

Except they're not random, they will be found at the same locations every time you play. So if you're running through again just for them, you're still "planning" a stat increase.

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Haha I remember when I was young and playing the original BG1, I had no idea what was a mod or Shadowkeeper or anything, so I was Importing/Exporting my character again and again and again to get 25 in every stats which took me about 7 playthroughs ...
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Belanos said:

fanscale said:

But there's no point, she won't carry the extra stats over to BG2. She starts out as a brand new character there, not a port over from your BG1 game.

Looks like BGT still scores over EE in that regard.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I usually have certain npc's have the tomes, and then shadowkeep their stats in BG2.