Skip to content

Wisdom and the Evil condition.

An Order of the Stick strip (there's a thousand of them so it's difficult to find the exact one) got me thinking about this. Can an evil character have high wisdom? While theories differ, wisdom is generally accepted as being about understanding and self-awareness. Those who show wisdom are often compassionate, empathetic people.

Someone who goes out of their way to cause harm and enjoys misery lack such traits. If through experience and adversity all you learn is how to take advantage of people and how most effectively to cause pain, then what have you really learned? Just take the description for Chaotic Evil. It's as close as you get to an example of what wisdom is not.

That said, wisdom is difficult to define. This is true even in the world of D & D, as we've seen from discussions here. And there are people in the real world who have done truly atrocious things and yet have shown insight and good judgement.

So, thoughts?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    bengoshi said:

To me, evil alignment has nothing to do with the Wisdom stats.

Take Morgoth, for e.g. Looking at what he had been constantly trying to do during the Silmarillion tale, I perfectly imagine him having high Wisdom. In fact, I think, he used Wisdom to plan another action.

Also. Wisdom is only possessed by the learned. And we can become "the learned" no matter what alignment, good, neutral or evil we have.

So, an evil character can absolutely have high wisdom.

...And yes, I like Xzar and the fact he has good Wisdom.

Yes, but what if our life experiences culminates in a philosophy of narcissism and greed.

Is it wisdom if a person has, through study and work, learned the best way to manipulative others and profit from misery?

What if a person creates an intelligent, well designed plan to wipe out humanity? They believe, from their own experiences, that people are unworthy of life and need to be wiped out.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    edited July 2014
    @subtledoctor
    Dexter was like Walter White, both super smart but with too much ego... they always had to win, even if it meant taking foolish risks.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited July 2014
    Wisdom is acquired mainly by knowledge, gained through study, through listening wiser people and/or through personal experience. The attitude toward yourself or toward others depends by one's own personality and, D&D speaking, alignment.
    Post edited by Metalloman on
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Yeah, I think I expressed myself the wrong way, I have to edit my previous post.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Very tricky isn't it. I have a really hard time sometimes getting the thoughts in my head out in a way people can understand in a text based form. It fails for me quite a lot. Leads to problems occasionally, especially in charged topics like politics ;)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    A Lawful Evil person could have a good common sense and be a wise person, not sure about a CE murder-psycho like Xzar, but he's Xzar so... We all know murdering isn't that bad :P
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    The wisdom/intelligence dichotomy in BG, to me, is this: intelligence is your ability to absorb and recall information, while wisdom is your ability to understand and analyze it. That is why high intelligence allows mages to scribe more spells - they are able to recall information more easily - and why clerics get more spells per day - their greater understanding of the mysteries of their faith pleases their god. This is also why the stats synergize in lore - intelligence allows you to warehouse information on weapons and their enchantments, while wisdom allows you to analyze unidentified weapons and recognize those enchantments.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    If you could end all suffering and elevate everyone to a higher plane, wouldn't that be wisdom? Even if it meant genocide?

I think @FinneousPJ had it more or less right. Even if the OP didn't intentionally equate compassion and empathy with Wisdom, they did infer that there was some form of causal relationship between the two. I can't see that as being the case.

A Wise person is going to be able to determine the best possible outcome from a situation. In that, if the best possible outcome is a Dictatorship with slavery and oppression, then that would be the 'Evil' Wise thing to do.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Think about an evil priest. He harms others because he knows that something greater, be it good or bad, will come from it.

"Knowing" how to achieve that requires a lot of enlightment and common sense.
    CaloNord said:

Very tricky isn't it. I have a really hard time sometimes getting the thoughts in my head out in a way people can understand in a text based form. It fails for me quite a lot. Leads to problems occasionally, especially in charged topics like politics ;)

Yes, I really didn't get my thoughts out well here. I feel like I should have just given the definition of wisdom from a dictionary, then given the definition of evil from a dictionary and asked "Are these mutually exclusive".

It would be difficult to misinterpret that.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @demented Why don't you try that now, lol
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    demented said:

CaloNord said:

Yes, I really didn't get my thoughts out well here. I feel like I should have just given the definition of wisdom from a dictionary, then given the definition of evil from a dictionary and asked "Are these mutually exclusive".

It would be difficult to misinterpret that.
    That is the sticking point - it really does define how we are defining wisdom, whether as a set of moral qualities or a statistical abstraction. The latter is what I believe was the intent of the creators of D&D.
  • SFJakeSFJake Member Posts: 8
    A thought on how I see this after reading quite a bit of this topic:

I think to be both "wise" and "evil" is a pretty rare occurrence in reality but not impossible. I think part of wisdom is accepting the facts of life, as well as accepting who you are.

Let me put it this way... is wisdom only defined by the way you act? Heck, in my own current life, I have done, so, so many things that I have known are completely unwise and stupid. Most people I know tell me I am a wise person, but that does not stop someone from doing unwise things. Life is cruel, life does things to you, to your head, that makes you not care, that makes you act in ways even yourself knows is wrong or stupid, but you do it, because the reasons we do things can get incredibly complicated.

Does being hurt so much that it changes what you do, make you less wise?

Does knowing what you do is wrong but you do it anyway out of whatever spite or disgust toward life you have, being less wise?

Note that I ask those questions not really knowing the answers, obviously. But the way I see it, wisdom might imply that you understand what good, evil, and empathy is, but it has no say on how broken a person you are inside.

I doubt I'll keep to this topic since this could easily be countered back & forth for days, but its interesting to think about this.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @DreadKhan - that wasn't quite what I was going for. I was actually thinking about this exchange in the Classic Doctor Who between The Fourth Doctor and Davros. The Doctor asked Davros if, given a virus that would wipe out all life in the Universe, including the Daleks, would he release it. This got me to thinking that, if everyone were dead, there would be no suffering or pain of any kind. There would be no misery, no sorrow. None of what we consider as negative. Not because 'The other guys' got killed, but because EVERYONE died and there was no one LEFT to feel the pain. There is a kind of logic there.

I suppose you could look at it like "The ends justify the means", but I wasn't what I was going for at all. Merely that a perfectly valid argument could be put forth that states "With Death absolute, there would be no suffering" and that would 'Benefit' while being thoroughly EVIL.

Another argument could easily be put forth for the Atom Bomb. Death on that scale is horrendous. Yet, it served a kind of "Good" in that it ended a conflict that was killing far more people in the long run.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Thanks for clarifying. However, I think attempts to simply escape pain or avoid it can be evil, especially if you are willing to allow others to suffer in your place. As a counter, think about a traitor that sells out his compatriots that are legitmately fighting illegitimate authority, in order to avoid be tortured to death. His is an evil act, and it isnt neccesarily wise, as the tyrant will not be letting him live anyways, since the tyrant isnt stupid. He also has all the leverage in the situation, so 'trusting' his honour was unwise as well as evil. Yet imagine if these allies were planning a rescue! This isnt implausible, since they know the traitor knows a great deal about the organization, and could end them as surely failing the rescue attempt. Attempting to avoid pain usually leads to greater pain, and enabling or creating pain is evil.

As to your argument, I am not an optimist, but I think your argument carries the scent of defeatism. Admitedly, acknowledging failure or inferiority is not remotely dishonourable, yet I think condemning others is not the solution. An important and brutally offensive aspect of wisdom is understanding taught by Budhists, that suffering is created ultimately by the self... pain may be unavoidable, but it need not harm the soul. Its not the sort of philosophy I would offer to someone that is traumatized, but it is still an uncomfortable truth imo. Anyways, the ramifications of course is that you would be killing individuals that wouldnt have suffered due to the pain... sounds pretty evil. Death imo is nothing to be feared, but life is similarly not always of much value to one's soul.

The irony of the atom bomb is that firebombing was every bit as deadly, and was used in Europe. Admitedly it took more planes, but my issue with the atom bomb was the fact that the target was exclusively a civilian one. The only goal was to kill as large number of civilians, nothing more. Thus, it was still strictly evil, despite a decent goal (which was achieved). Had the target been more strictly military, or efforts taken to avoid civilian casualties, it might be a different story. Of course, if the war didnt end very quickly, the USSR would have started snapping up conquered territory in the east, something that wouldnt be a good ending likely for those involved.
    kiwidoc said:

I think the discussion is entirely moot. The attributes and ability stats in D&D aren’t actually describing real things. The words used as names for the various abilities in D&D are not used the same way as they are in ordinary English. D&D rules are very much a simplification and a very rough and ready way to describe a person. Actually even the words themselves are pretty much a simplified approximation. Several if not dozens of variables are clumped together by common use, and even more so by the rules.

I agree. D&D has very specific descriptions for their interpretation of traits such as Wisdom. However, as you can see by the numerous threads on this forum, such ideas are fun to tinker with. Through discussion and debate one's own understanding of such concepts might even change and evolve.

That's really all I was looking for. A discussion on an idea that I found interesting. This forum is home to many intelligent and insightful people, so it seemed a good place to post it.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    @demented Oh I think it's great fun to explore these ideas. Sadly I've seen many people who take the attributes in a very literal manner - for example arguing that people who are Good will never do evil things and that people who are halfway between good and neutral don't exist. I'm not kidding - I have seen it, on the WotC forums of all places!

I've even seen a Forgotten Realms novelist told off in rather an aggressive manner for daring to suggest a Paladin might perform a deed that is evil when faced with a choice of the lesser of two evils and no other option, or when sticking rigidly to their code means their action has (possibly unforeseen) evil consequences. The idea that not everyone sees the same things as being good, or evil is totally thrown out the window. The gods will ensure that a paladin's definition of good is automatically always correct, and that they will never be faced with a situation in which their only options are bad if not evil. Somehow that doesn't fit into my idea of realistic people, or the Forgotten Realms.
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    I do find a lot of this very interesting. As I've gotten older I've taken those 'faux' alignment tests and started out as neutral good. As I've aged and certainly become wiser, I generally score in the low end of chaotic neutral. I think the wiser you are the more you understand the nature of man, and you certainly learn to trust less and look out for oneself more. If that means giving to the politics and backstabbing to survive, you have to do it.