Skip to content

Best Party Possible for my LG Paladin?

Ok So I bought both BG1 EE and BG2 EE at the steam sale.

Havent played BG2 and haven't played BG1 since it was my first game I ever bought for PC.

In my paper and pencil games IRL i recently lost a paladin and would like to play one. I just got to beregost and i have to make some party decisions.

Who should my party be? I want to MC Imoen to a Mage (speaking of which.. what level do i do this and is she still a good thief?) I always had a soft spot for Minsc but he can go by the wayside. Im afraid Edwin will be out since im a paladin and plan on acting as such. Can Neera and Imoen cover my arcane and thieving needs? One thing i hazily remember is that Thieving is super important.

Any help? Thanks guys!

Comments

• SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    I'm by no means a pro! So, take my advice with a grain of salt :P

Personally, I've never MC'ed Imoen in BG1, always kept her thief, so I wouldn't either risk having inferior thieving skills cause i MC to early, or having to wait ages for her thieving skill to come back, cause I did it at a high lvl.

Imo, 1 Arcane caster is more than enough in BG1. And if you plan on taking Minsc you would get Dynaheir, and could also take Neera along if you wanted a 2nd. Neera I like, but imo she doesn't really shine until BG2 :)

Either way, going to "canon" party (Charname, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir) is a fine setup imo, it won't be OP, but it certainly won't suck either ... :)

Just my 2cent.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 3
    I'm super torn. I would like to use neera but this game makes it hard.

Charname Paladin
    Imoen
    Neera
    ????
    ????
    ????

I need a beat stick (khalid?) A healer (can janiera handle it?)and on more ranged guy... Kivan maybe?

I'm gonna be good. So that limits me. I don't want dynaheir. I like minsc. I'm gonna have to make 3 games to use all the people I want to lol.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I would run with your Paladin, Minsc (Tank) Dynaheir (Mage) Khalid and Jaheria and Kivan. That gives you some tolerable front liners a mage for fire support and an archer. :) Healing magic is far less important then buffs and healing potions.
  • ChackChack Member Posts: 23
    My current playthrough is with a paladin. In BG1EE I went with:

Khalid, Paladin, Jaheira
    Rasaad, Neera, Imoen

Didn't dualclassed Imoen, one mage is enough. Rasadd used ranged weapons. Kivan or Coran instead of Rasaad would be better (if Coran, the you can dual-class Imoen).

Khalid and Jaheira with shields and the paladin with 2hsw. Low level healing spells and potions are good enough. Missed some cleric spells, but it is not so bad. Stay away from nrd with Neera and she will perform good enogh as your mage.

Have fun!
  • WalstafaWalstafa Member Posts: 116
    If you're going to run Imoen as a mage, I'd reccomend taking Coran for a few levels until she gets her thief skills back. My group was:

Charname
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Imoen
    Neera
    Coran, switching to Yeslick once Imoen's back to theiving.

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Coran & Kivan are excellent options, as archers dominate BG1.

You will need a thief for dungeon crawling as traps can be an instant reload. (Coran can do this well.)

1 Mage is ample in BG1 (but more are required in BG2).

The "canon" Imoen is duelled at level 7... But this means a long time without her thieving abilities.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2014
    bryguy said:

I'm gonna be good. So that limits me. I don't want dynaheir. I like minsc. I'm gonna have to make 3 games to use all the people I want to lol.

Not necessarily. There are ways to separate Dynaheir and Minsc. It involves one of them dying (permanently in one way, resurrected in the other), though, so it might not fit your RP vision for the playthrough. BG2 spoiler:
    Well, come to think of it, you can simply speed up the canon plot a bit :+P.

To the 3 characters you mentioned, I'd add Branwen for clerical needs (later on you can swap her for Yeslick, if you'd like him more), Kivan for archery needs (swap for Coran if you dual class Imoen) and freed-from-Dynaheir Minsc. That would give you a solid team of:

Paladin, Minsc, Kivan (-> Coran?), Branwen (-> Yeslick?), Imoen, Neera
    Post edited by Mivsan on
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'll add support to the idea of Yeslick (LG Dwarf Fighter/Cleric) as a good perty member for a Paladin. You get him quite late, but he's a nice combination of frontline melee and healing/buffing. He does need the Gauntlets of Dexterity to really shine though.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 3
    I'm gonna roll with kivan til imoen hits 6 and go mage and get coran. Probably go pick back up kivan or maybe keep coran since I would like dedicated archer.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Both Kivan and Coran make excellent archers. :) I prefer Coran. :) I find him less. . . depressing. :D
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Well, let's see.

A LG Paladin.

Branwen seems a good choice. Somehow suits the paladin charname I think. This way you get a cleric.

Kivan is also a good choice for a lawful-good party. This way you get a badass machine gun.

You want to take Imoen and dual her into a Mage. Go for it! The 5th level seems to be the best for that purpose.

While Imoen is getting her thieving skills back, take Coran. He'll be good in your party afterwards too. Imoen would disarm traps, open locks and Coran would backstab.

As the 6th party member I would take Quayle. A good support mage/cleric.