Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity and the merits of modding

12346»

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2014
    By the way, this is what I mean when I say that areas are 2D so a toolset is impossible, just make it even clearer.
    Go to 1:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak52BLOFyuo
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Also, I figured that Baldur's Gate wasn't really easy to mod until Wes Weimer created WeiDu. At least from making your own NPC standpoint anyway. I just can't imagine trying to make a NPC mod via override mod.

Uhm, it was mostly difficult because:
    -no tools existed to edit anything
    -no one but the devs knew how the files worked
    I can assure you, that it was as easy as it is nowadays, what changes from them to know is what modders knew an the tools they had, I could say it's even easier nowadays.
    Chow said:

Also, I figured that Baldur's Gate wasn't really easy to mod until Wes Weimer created WeiDu. At least from making your own NPC standpoint anyway. I just can't imagine trying to make a NPC mod via override mod.

That's pretty much my point. I'm not a modder, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't exactly easy even after WeiDu.

I know for Planescape: Torment, both Icewind Dale games, and original Baldur's Gate it isn't easy, even with WeiDu.

I don't know if it's just me, but of all the programming languages I know (just c, weidu and oc but hey), WeiDU is the easiest of all... Unless you hate typing BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES-and-the-like operators and can't find the error weidu is trying to point out.

Modding a 2d game based in different files inside a bif is dead-easy for what you have to do to mod some 3d game (ME for example)--not that they weren't designed to be modded or not (because the IE never had modding in mind when created), it's HOW the engine works, if actual characters are 300 lines of code written in OC in the main.m, you'll never get a chance to edit it--unless you make a dynamic link library to edit it a la TobEx-- and have the coding skills which most won't even think of acquiring. Modding for the IE is pretty easy and there's lot you can do without having to fiddle with hard-coded stuff.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited August 2014
    Honestly, I'm just beginning on my journey to mod, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to screw up somewhere along the way. So for me, this kind of hard at the moment, but when I learn how to do it...hopefully it'll be easier.

So thanks, @CrevsDaak‌, I learned something new today. :)
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited August 2014
    The initial point stands, though: the developers of the game didn't really encourage modding all that much, nor make it any kind of an intentional feature right out of the bag.

I think what the developers meant when they said it's not mod compatible was the lack of Steam Workshop and such stuff, but if CrevsDaak knows what he's talking about then it doesn't seem like it's going to matter much.
    Post edited by Chow on
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    LiamEsler said:

It's definitely a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate II, but also Planescape: Torment and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer.

... and that's why you shouldn't ask to the Innkeeper if the Inn is clean ;-)
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Erg said:

... and that's why you shouldn't ask to the Innkeeper if the Inn is clean ;-)

Clean as an elven arse!
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    LiamEsler said:

It's definitely a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate II, but also Planescape: Torment and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer.

Here you can find the greatest mod ever for BG. It's called "Never Say Yeslick!" and it's definitely a spiritual successor to "Blonde Imoen" and all the other great BG mods. You can trust me on that, I worked on it so no one can know better than me how great it is.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Erg *Slow clap* That added so much to the conversation.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This thread has gone around in sufficient circles to exhaust everyone's points of view, and since it seems to be taking a turn for the antagonistic, I'm ending it here.

In the future I expect these discussions to be handled with a great deal more civility and a great deal less grandstanding.

Game On.
This discussion has been closed.