Skip to content

Would you happily wait until later than September 18th for a more polished BGEE product?

13»

Comments

• immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

Err, the game on GoG is super cheap?
    $9.99 for the complete BG2
    $9.99 for the BG1 Set

Cheap is always relative.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292

That is why god invented gog.com.

Worst part about being a Mac owner, Game developers forget about you.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited August 2012
    Jolanthus said:

or is it mac that doesnt care for their owners of their products ?

Nevertheless, just install windows on it then. :P

• JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    I have a Mac to avoid using Windows.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Linux comes in mind, so... but i don't know nothing about linux compatibility, so... good research :)!
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    Can wait longer beta test give better hardware comability and less bug. Too many games come too early with optimization and people are angry.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    lordkim said:

Jolanthus said:

or is it mac that doesnt care for their owners of their products ?

Nevertheless, just install windows on it then. :P

What's so wrong about Windows? I always got the impression that Macs have a LOT more compatability issues with about...everything.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

Considering the game was already a finished product before Overhaul got their hands on it, it should come out sooner rather than later.

A finished product, with literally hundreds of bugs. Of course, not all bugs were equally ranked.
    There are also new features and content and porting bg1 data to bg2 engine also produces problems.
  • siriuslukesiriusluke Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2012

No, I expect beamdog to go without sleep, pull 20 hour coding sessions, subsisting solely on a diet of red bull and hot pockets.

Overhaul should definitely learn from Valve, check this out:
    (Sorry for using up so much space)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR0WN55p_zI
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited August 2012
    @GaelicVigil
    To be honest, if I were working for these devs they'd have to threaten to fire me to get me to take weekends away from BGEE. Not necessarily every project- just BG or any project that could get me similarly engrossed. At present I work for a company that is constantly fighting tight schedules and making poor decisions that make us work harder- so it's been many months of struggle to get a single weekend day off- and it's neither the game development nor medical industry, just industry. And it tests one's endurance constantly. But then again if you're doing what you really enjoy, are good at, and actually want to be devoting your time to, that kind of thing is almost welcome. I'm just not... and since I have no game development skills, well, as they say, don't quit your day job...

Didn't the original BG devs create BG by insane hours? Not sure if that was self-driven or management-driven though...

@SiriusLuke
    Hilarious video- game devs surviving on sugar and caffeine lol... Totally not my diet... anymore...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Jolanthus said:

paulthetall can help you out.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Munin said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

OK, you might not have talked @purebredcorn into it, but I am downloading BG1 now. I can't wait a freaking month. My discs went by-by years ago and I am ready to play NOW.

Lol!
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Gridian said:

Chippy said:

Heh, try teaching - 50-80 hr weeks (then weekends), financing courses out of my salary, teaching multiple classes at once, 1/10th of holidays (no pay) and to top it all off "colleagues" that put my life at risk with high risk learners while stealing 1/3 of their annual salary from government funding per academic year. Best 4 burn-out years of my life.

On topic though; whatever is best for Beamdog. So long as BG:EE isn't cancelled - I'm good.

:) I realized that during CELTA and pulled out in time. Of course, failing CELTA also contributed but in all honesty I would not have tought anyway. I remained a happy accountant who is developping his first game to be sold on the appstore of apple as a hobby. no dead lines, no budget pressure, no way of getting rich and concerned about remaining rich - pure paradise! :D

EDIT

Of course, your topic sentence also applies. All I care about is a good and running game. If it has to be released ahead of its prime but playable and patchable I can live with that. I'd choose to wait if I was asked - but he who controls the wallet has the power. I did my part by pre-ordering and now we'll see.
    Hmm, it seems my notifications arn't working on this site...

From what little I know it seems Beamdog are laying the groundwork to building their reputations and have long term goals, which is refreshing. It's all about reputation for me, and these guys are already at 17 or so. Intrinsic motivation is much more of a refined tool than sugar or caffeine, so as long as none of them die from exhaustion it's also all good.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

A finished product, with literally hundreds of bugs. Of course, not all bugs were equally ranked.
    There are also new features and content and porting bg1 data to bg2 engine also produces problems.

And they've had their hands on it for some time. I didn't say they should have released it the day after they had license to. All I ask is that they meet the promised release day that I have pre-ordered for.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    in all fairness I'll eat the bugs if the soup is good enough. I did with the old BG. Still, I want this to be good
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    edited August 2012
    After ten years of playing vanilla BG (most of them without even the ToTSC expansion), I can easily wait a bit longer for the best damn product they can make. A few more days won't hurt.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    It'll get done when it gets done. True that the game has been done for a great many years but when you add in more fixes and update the graphics, it's not as easy as one would think. I would rather wait and have a polished game than one that is bug riddled and not playable. Fallout New Vegas taught me that and many others. Don't get me wrong, I love that game now, after they fixed a lot of things that their testers should have caught.
  • Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    edited September 2012
    EDIT: wrong thread.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    I have no problem in wait. I did it for 12 years, what's a month near to it?

But agreeing with some comments that i saw, i have to state that wait until 15 september to anounce the delay wasn't a nice business pratice, as team BG induced more people this way to pre-order the game before change the release date. It's obvious that the need of delay was previous aknowledge.
  • ego1steego1ste Member Posts: 88
    I felt there's gonna be a delay since there was no annoucements lately. But november 30, really? Besides i would understand if they told us: we gonna add some more stuff, or we need some more time to remove bugs, implement new feauture etc. So people who pre-ordered would know what are we standing on. I'm not sure about you guys , but i would like to knew sooner than 4 days before release.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Release it and drop a patch in 2 months. I can handle bugs (the originals shipped with them)!
  • DelinomDelinom Member Posts: 46
    I perfectly timed my BG2 re-run to end when BG:EE was supposed to be released. I'm in the middle of ToB right now. I even setup a second screen in my PC area to prepare for BG:EE..

I'm pretty... sad and frustrated that game won't ship when it was planned but obviously, you have to be rational and realize there's no point in shipping a buggy or incomplete product... So in the end it'll be worth the wait!
  • MFbMMFbM Member Posts: 11
    It's just my opinion, but maybe they should've go to the Kickstarter route and develop BG3 instead. Many small developers use this way to revive and continue existing popular franchises.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Gaara said:

yes ,too many games were ruined by rushing :\

Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil being a case-in-point.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'll never forget what happened to Kotor 2 as well.