Skip to content

Who here was first introduced to D&D in the Pen and Paper days of the 70's and 80's?

2»

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud
    @Cheesebelly
    Are you guys going to do it in a thread or something? Color me interested.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Schneidend : we were planning to do it in real life as we know each other XD

But a thread about it could also be an idea to attract more people. But it has to done by someone that KNOWS what he/she is doing XD (like any good Dungeon Master really)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I got introduced to Baldur's Gate in 1999-2000 when I was 15, which also led me to join my first online forum (Baldur's Gate Chronicles baby!). From there I joined other forums, one of which had a more active D&D community. Met a really awesome lady there, she introduced me to proper D&D and we did some online games. When that relationship fell apart and most forums kind of dried up, I had a strong D&D dry spell. I played Shadowrun with my roommate and some guys but that stopped after a few sessions when it became clear that the other players (who'd been playing it for years) were taking far too much pleasure in exploiting our noobness with the world and system to better their own characters, framing us for stuff they did while they switched appearances and identities like socks.

Then a few years later, in early 2007 I think, I had a date with a lovely young lady who was looking for a D&D group. She know another friend who'd be interested and I had two other friends who'd like to play so we had our party! That game went on for a good year (up to level 7-8) with me DMing like a total noob before people got busy and couldn't play anymore. Her friend is now one of my best friends and him, me and my roommate spent a good year doing Star Wars D&D with the three of us in the weekends.
    I was studying Computer Science in late 2008 and made some friends who were interested in D&D. I took to DMing again and we've been playing D&D about once or twice a month ever since. The friend from before is also running a D&D game of his home-brew world and my roommate runs a Vampire game and occasionally his own world D&D game. In between I also do several games of Warhammer (Blood for the Blood God!)

I'm currently playing;
    Ambros Vyshaan, High Elf Conjurer, level 13 (DMPC for my current game, only non-combat or non-damaging spells and all skills in knowledges, used purely for support and background information)
    Heironeous, Human Evoker, lvl6, wizard in a world where magic is feared and hated. He responds to this by fireballing the crap out everyone.
    Percival "Smiley" O'Sullivan - Nosferatu vampire, named Smiley because his giant mouth goes from ear to ear. Used to be a socialite pretty boy, medical student and freelance photographer. Now he's just bitter and angry, despite his permanently cheerful expression.
    JD-32, Jedi Protection Droid, level 11, a combat droid with flamethrowers in his arms, blasters hidden in his legs, a jetpack on his back, retractable claws and the ability to blast a giant shockwave from his torso. Anyone who threatens his master (10 years after the Jedi Purge) gets shot to pieces.
    Tavon - A human paladin, level 5, who was cursed to be asleep for 500 years before he was discovered in a shipwreck by some adventurers. Now he has to complete his mission to bring an offering of peace from the Elven Kingdoms to the Human Empire, even though he's five centuries late and both countries have destroyed eachother, sinking half the world in the progress.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

@Schneidend : we were planning to do it in real life as we know each other XD

But a thread about it could also be an idea to attract more people. But it has to done by someone that KNOWS what he/she is doing XD (like any good Dungeon Master really)

Ah, gotcha! That's cool that you two know each other and live close by. My suggestion would be to see if any co-workers or other friends would be into it. If all else fails, one of you should study the DMG, get a pre-made adventure, and do the DMing yourselves.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited August 2012
    well, gotta ask, any chance and of you are from the south, like the lower alabama (mobile) area?

it seems all but dead down here, but hope never dies :)

Edit: oh, and at the time, we played alot of mage/vampire/werewolf, but i loved dnd 2.5e best of all.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113

I think if you find a good DM you will wish you had known about it long ago :) (DM's would make or break the game but sometimes really good people in the group can make up for it some of the best times were had when we completely left the DM's plans in the dust and adlibed the whole night)

Ahh...every game I've ever ran :-). Most times I wonder why I even bother trying to come up with any kind of story..the more time I invest in making one the sooner my players go a completely different direction. I've become so used to it that all I ever do these days is just kinda guide them along, plant an idea here or there and basically let them write their own story..adlibbing as I go. They're good players and creative people..Lazy DM? Maybe :-). But I can tie all their ideas into a overall story and create an environment that drives a cohecive storyline..As a player i've never personally liked a plot-hammer DM and try to wield said hammer VERY lightly myself..

Excepting of course, if the group really wanted to run a certain module. In which case they knew they would be driven to follow the story..

As to the OP question..first game I ever played was in the 80s but I wasn't playing with any regularity until the 90s
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    I got into D&D in the early 90s with 2nd edition. My brother and his friends played, and eventually I was enveloped into the group. I hear it's commonly a family thing.

Online campaigns (via Skype) are strong too. We use MapTools (anyone else heard of this) to visualize the environments in characters. In tabletop we have grid populated with expensive + fragile miniatures. MapTools also has a programmable macros function. That saved 4e for me and made it a really awesome experience instead of a lesson in accounting.

@Bjjorick: Hated sliver decks - you guys always killed me. I had a knight deck.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    Ooo Maptools, I remember what that app was just a dream, I contributed to some discussions about how to code it on the Apple IIGS way way back, I lost track of the project when I went overseas. (if this is the same maptools Im thinking about)