Skip to content

Who is your familiar?

IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
...if you have one outside of Baldur's Gate. I have two, both of the feline variety. I'll add the second one later, but here's the first: Ewok (who came with the name when I adopted him from a rescue organization). His magical power is bad breath caused by cat gingivitis.

imageimage

Comments

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    @Isandir‌ good god that's a lot of pet. What annoys me most about Australia is I can't have a hamster or a chinchilla. >:(

Apparently releasing desert rodents into a country that's 80 percent desert is a really really bad idea. However we're getting a new house soon and plan to get two cats and a husky. :) Rabbits are also illegal here. Considered a pest they get you a several hundred thousand dollar fine last time I looked.
    @Isandir‌ I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how she acquired a pony. . . It just. . . turned up? :D

Haha oh we have them, but they're usually at plague proportions and the government tries to kill them off or fence them in.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    CaloNord said:

@Isandir‌ I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how she acquired a pony. . . It just. . . turned up? :D

Haha oh we have them, but they're usually at plague proportions and the government tries to kill them off or fence them in.

I don't even recall exactly how she did it. I think she talked to either a friend's parents or their neighbor, who had the pony at the time and wanted to get rid of it, and convinced them to deliver it to our house. She of course neglected to mention that she hadn't gotten permission, let alone told our parents. She was wickedly resourceful...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited July 2014
    I have a tortoise familiar... Now in a Angband-like-formatted Creature-entry style! Yay!
    This creature can be found at Deeps of 50' (L1), and it is usually in groups of 1. It sleeps around 24 hours a day on Winter. It can Make Holes (only if over earth) twice a week, it can attempt to Hide in Shadows every five rounds and it Moves Silently. It has 34 Hit Points and you have 67% chances of hitting this creature. It can bite for 2d2 damage, it can bite 1d4 damage and hit with it's paws for 1d2 damage.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    @DreadKhan‌, it sounds like you live in the land of giants...both the people and the animals. You'd tower over everyone here in Asia.

@booinyoureyes‌, though we didn't name him, it just stuck. I couldn't think of anything more appropriate, especially considering his personality.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @Isandir‌ The old me looked like a walking fridge, but a viking looking one. My sister honeymooned in Sri Lanka, has many funny annecdotes about sticking out... I would have been downright ridiculous! I stick out in Canada too, but vacationing in Asia would be interesting. Not just for the food, which I love (particularly fond of Indian/Pakistani and Indonesian, but anything spicey is usually good). I havent tried very many Thai dishes, as they often seem to require difficult to obtain fresh ingredients, but I liked what I've tried. What are normal heights in your area?
    Oh yea. It's a thing.

I'm so missing out on the familiars. I want a new house.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Isandir said:

DreadKhan said:

vacationing in Asia would be interesting. Not just for the food, which I love (particularly fond of Indian/Pakistani and Indonesian, but anything spicey is usually good). I havent tried very many Thai dishes, as they often seem to require difficult to obtain fresh ingredients, but I liked what I've tried. What are normal heights in your area?

I'm only 172 cm (5'8 for my fellow Americans who haven't figured out the metric system), but here that's 2 cm above the average for men. We have an ex-NBA player who runs a basketball academy at our school, and it's slightly comical to see him out in public to say the least. He towers above everyone.

If you like Indian food, you'd love visiting here. Indian, Malaysian and Thai flavors blend together in Bangkok. It has some of the most incredible food in the world.
    Mmmm.... That would be awesome. All the food is bad here, or at least, uninspired. To far inland for seafood(something my previously-of-Seattle parent lament) and it's America, and not a huge city, soooooo...... We love Thai, and there's a few reasonable places, but I'm sure where missing out on all the real stuff.
    @meagloth‌: The last time I tried Thai in the US, it tasted nothing like the versions here. Everything was far too sweet. Thai food tends to blend savory and spicy, with only a hint of sweetness in most dishes (excluding those that use coconut milk...but even they're spicy in a lot of cases). You can get a pretty good idea of what is common from this list.
    Isandir said:

@meagloth‌: The last time I tried Thai in the US, it tasted nothing like the versions here. Everything was far too sweet. Thai food tends to blend savory and spicy, with only a hint of sweetness in most dishes (excluding those that use coconut milk...but even they're spicy in a lot of cases). You can get a pretty good idea of what is common from this list.

Oh, god I'm really hungry now. That's a nice list. We usually just order pad Thai and yaki soba(though I think that's Japanese) from this one restaurant that's close by, but last time I got Pad See Eiu, and found it incredibly sweet. It smelled like that's fake maple syrup.
    I think real Thai is also a lot spicier? We Americans think we have hot stuff in our barbecue, but we deceive ourselves. Once we went to a different place; they had mild, hot, american hot, and Thai hot. Hot almost killed me:P
    Not really, but it was pretty hot, and I'm not particularly frail when it comes to capsaicin.(though I'm certainly not the best middle of the road, tops)
    A bit of friendly advice: don't lick a ghost pepper. It doesn't help anyone,mans it's not worth the XP.
    Pad see ew is actually one of my (non-spicy) favorites, but I imagine it's quite different that the Americanized version. Nearly half of that list showed dishes with prik kee nuu (the small red chili peppers you can see in some of the photos). That little bugger is on the same level as habaneros. That doesn't seem very impressive until you consider the fact that it means an entire country of 60 million people eats them in at least one dish every single day.

I personally love it...
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Lol @Isandir‌ just imagine how Chinese immigrants feel if they try US 'Chinese'... seriously, they seem to take a meat dish's name, deepfry it and serve it with sweet and sour sauce. :/ Authentic Chinese vsries a lot by region, but I dont think anyone in China was deepfrying much. The Asian sweets I enjoy tend not to even qualify as sweets in NA, where sugar is practically shoved down our throats. A tiny amount of sugar can awaken a dish, but NA seems to like dumping it in with a shovel.

I actually do most of my own cooking, and try to stay fairly authentic, I almost never eat out. From whst I've read, Malay cooking isnt dissimilar from Indonesian. Indian cooking seems intuitive, but can be time consuming if you are cooking a dish properly. I also like the liberal use of legumes in Indian food, western bean dishes can be really boring, and canned is ussually sweeter than most cultures deserts.

My experience with Thai was definately not a sweet dish, but very flavourful. Was quite a unique flavour at that, used I think stewed root of some kind as a base. What dishes would you recomend?
    DreadKhan said:

Lol @Isandir‌ just imagine how Chinese immigrants feel if they try US 'Chinese'... seriously, they seem to take a meat dish's name, deepfry it and serve it with sweet and sour sauce. :/ Authentic Chinese vsries a lot by region, but I dont think anyone in China was deepfrying much. The Asian sweets I enjoy tend not to even qualify as sweets in NA, where sugar is practically shoved down our throats. A tiny amount of sugar can awaken a dish, but NA seems to like dumping it in with a shovel.

I actually do most of my own cooking, and try to stay fairly authentic, I almost never eat out. From whst I've read, Malay cooking isnt dissimilar from Indonesian. Indian cooking seems intuitive, but can be time consuming if you are cooking a dish properly. I also like the liberal use of legumes in Indian food, western bean dishes can be really boring, and canned is ussually sweeter than most cultures deserts.

My experience with Thai was definately not a sweet dish, but very flavourful. Was quite a unique flavour at that, used I think stewed root of some kind as a base. What dishes would you recomend?

Fortune cookies....
    I don't even know where to start.
    And yeah... The sugar stuff... That's... That a thing, isn't it?
    DreadKhan said:

The food I had when traveling in China had very mild flavors compared to the US versions. We really do love our sugary sauces...

Malay, Indonesian, Indian and Thai food share certain dishes, so you'll often find crossover. Each also has signature dishes, though, and they tend to be much more unique. You'll probably encounter a lot of dishes similar to the soup you tried; many ingredients in Thai food are not meant to be eaten, and are only added to bring out certain flavors when cooking. Out of the list I added above, some of my personal favorites are tom yum going (1), gang know wan (3), panang (4), pad see ew (32), and a few that aren't on the list: moo manow (a spicy lime pork salad) and pad ped tea fak yao (green beans with red curry and pork/chicken in most cases).
    edited July 2014
    I feel like we need a food thread now...
    jackjack said:

Monty:
    [Spoiler]imageimageimageimage[/Spoiler]
    We're still looking for Xzar…

My wife would love him! (And would likely try to steal him from you if she could...)