Skip to content

Recomendations for second playthrough's class?

ThrairThrair Member Posts: 10
My first playthrough in Baldur's Gate has always been a Dwarvern Fighter/Cleric. Emphasis on being an unkillable stone wall, with a shield and Con focus. Later in the game, if I'm feeling cheeky and think my party isn't chunking things fast enough, I swap to TWF with Crom/FoA.

But I'm about to start up another campaign, partly to play the romance arcs. Any suggestions? I don't generally do solo runs, as I am keen on party interactions. ("Please do not allow Minsc to speak for us...." - Said the poor embarassed Yoshimo... fricking hilarious.)

I was considering using the Blade I've already got prepped, as they seem fairly effective. But when I've looked it up, everyone seems to say "it's worthless, F/M is better". Is that generally true? They have a higher casterlevel, which makes for better casts on some level-dependent things like dispel, as well as thief HLAs. But I'm not sure how that stacks up to max-level spells and Grandmastery (If dualed).

I've also been tempted to play a backstabber, but am not certain on what the best route for that is (Dual classed, Kit, or Multi-classed).

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    First off, never rule out a class because people say "it's worthless, *insert class here* is better". F/M is often accepted as the "most powerful" class, but I don't find it fun. I like bards. I like rangers. I like monks. I like classes that are enjoyable. Make a few different characters with different classes and just play through the first bit of BG1. See what interests you. I don't like blades much myself, but they're not bad at all.

As for the backstabber, your best bet would probably be an assassin dualed to a fighter. I don't know for certain, but that way you can get the x7 backstab multiplier that only assassins get along with grand mastery and a fighters THAC0. It's a powerful combination. Obviously you'd have to be a boring old human for the dual, but F/T multis are a great choice if you want variety in your race, as is any thief class. (Except swashbucklers. They can't backstab)
    SouthpawDemonoid_LimewireBlackraven
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2014
    Agree with the above, playing what you find fun should always take priority. And Blades are *faaaaarrrr* from worthless, but I'd not open that can of worms here.

As a backstabber, I'd say the best option would be a multi-class half-orc fighter/thief or a dual-class Kensai 13/Thief. Assassins are one of my favorite classes, but they are weak early on and suffer from being one-trick ponies in combat. If you were to do an Assassin/Fighter dual, you'd have to dual at level 21... for reference that is a 5920000 experience requirement to get the most out of that dual. That is mid-ToB at the very least, or maybe end-SoA with Watcher's Keep and every single sidequest completed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited July 2014
    The blade is fine, but yes the F/M is stronger.

The best backstabber I find is Kensai 13 -> Thief
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...with a 2m (6ft) pole, right @FinneousPJ‌ ?

So, children. Now, when @FinneousPJ‌ has shown us how NOT TO DO IT, let's elaborate on the matter of classes and their usefulness versus fun ratio, flavour and romance options...

...or not. Let's not elaborate. It's tedious and boring.
    Play a bit of BG (BGEE first 3-4 levels or BG2EE Irenicus' dungeon) with several different classes that are interesting to you and the choose those ones you liked. I always recommend trying out thieves, as it's different and can be fun.
    Be like @Elrandir‌. He likes monks. And rangers. And bards....I like @Elrandir‌...
    ElrandirBlackraven
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254

Agree with the above, playing what you find fun should always take priority. And Blades are *faaaaarrrr* from worthless, but I'd not open that can of worms here.

As a backstabber, I'd say the best option would be a multi-class half-orc fighter/thief or a dual-class Kensai 13/Thief. Assassins are one of my favorite classes, but they are weak early on and suffer from being one-trick ponies in combat. If you were to do an Assassin/Fighter dual, you'd have to dual at level 21... for reference that is a 5920000 experience requirement to get the most out of that dual. That is mid-ToB at the very least, or maybe end-SoA with Watcher's Keep and every single sidequest completed.

Sorry, but why 21 and not 13?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Avenger! (or one of the druid kits)
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Blade rocks and improved bard song stacks meaning project image/ valihor helm & silmac scrolls cheese is possible to insane levels... Check scythesongs guide at sorcerors palace .

Pure class assassin is a Lotta fun too... Chris Lee's their guide on gamefaqs tells you all you need on thieves, but the poison info is not relevant to bgee, where it was changed.

In comparison the 2 classes fight very differently tho, as blade is a front line fighter using spells to buff himself and dual wielding in elven chain, whilst the assassin is either insta gibbing mages or standing at range firing poison arrows into everything that moves.

Both are solid choices for a fun game
    SouthpawBlackraven
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I agree with @Elrandir and @Southpaw, don't listen to others saying this or that class is the best. Think what appeals the most to you. If that's a Blade, then roll a Blade.

As to a possible backstabber, taking into account late-game viability as mentioned by @Sergio, a multiclass Fighter/Thief is solid throughout the trilogy. You'll be a more than competent backstabber, you won't have to deal with the tediousness of dualclassing and you'll end up with both Fighter and Thief HLAs. But again: if you feel like rolling a plain Assassin, then by all means go ahead and don't let others talk you out of it.

You say you're interested in the romances. This means you're best off picking a Human, Half-Elf or Elf (though Elf loses one romance option).
    Southpaw