Skip to content

The Cocktail Thread

CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
It's Summer in the Northern Hemisphere! Time for shorts, sandals, inappropriate toplessness and silly drinks.

What are your favorites and how do you take them?

*Edit* The management encourage patrons to drink responsibly.
Post edited by Corvino on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Never was a cocktail fan. And probably won't ever be either.
    Though I do like cocktail sausages!

Anyway, give me a schwarzbier with mead mixed in any day of the week and I'll be one, happy ooze.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I was never much for cocktails, I used to drink Vodka by the bucket load but I swore off booze a few years ago. I found this tolerable but I usually drank the Vodka straight from the bottle instead.

45ml vodka
    6 green grapes
    2 pieces of rockmelon
    Half green chilli
    Schweppes Agrum Collection Citrus Blend

Add green grapes, rockmelon and chilli into a hurricane glass. Muddle.

I was pretty uncivilized back then. . . But what can you say? I'm a colonial. ;)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    My fav is Caipirinha
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited July 2014
    What in the heck is that called @CaloNord? Sounds pretty lethal!

I'm trying to cut back on the booze myself, which is why I'm thinking about cocktails. I find it easier to have one or two then stop than I do with beers. The ritual of making them is also fun, and you get to tweak the recipes to your taste.

My current favorite, the Old Fashioned:

Add a half a teaspoon of brown sugar to a lowball glass, muddle with a dash of water until dissolved. Add a dash of Bitters and top the glass up with ice. Gradually add about 50-60ml of good bourbon while stirring, should take a couple of minutes. Garnish with a twist of orange zest and a maraschino cherry - one of the proper dark ones, not bright red "cocktail cherries".

*Edit* Caipirinhas are pretty damn nice, @FinneousPJ, but cachaca is hard to find here. Daquiris are almost identical but substituting rum for cachaca. Unfortunately if you ask for a Daquiri half the time you'll get some strawberry or banana monstrosity with half a fruit basket hanging off it.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I rarely drink cocktails, but my favourite is probably a Tom Collin's. And I've always thought the name sounded terribly classy, so I feel good when I get to tell people what I'm drinking if they ask haha.

Also, a drink that tastes much better than it sounds is a vodka-water. That's it. It sounds terrible, but if you mix the right proportions it's very brisk and refreshing, and is a nice change from the sweetness of most mixed drinks.

But at the end of the day I'm definitely a beer guy.
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Got back to drinking again, a good coke and a beer would do. I am going cut back on how much i have per week. One or 2 will do me fine. If i have 3 or more in a few hours i get drunk pretty quick....
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I usually drink sherry or wine when I drink these days. More affordable than swigging scotch, brandy or rum.

Used to drink mostly beer, but I have celiac, and our beer is costly.

For mixed drinks, I like Rusty Nails, Manhattens, Margaritas (I only make lime), Gin Martinis and obviously Scotch and Water. Thats totally a cocktail. I generally dont like sweet in my drinks, and am not partial to ice.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2014
    Cocktails, huh? It's been a looong time since i stopped drinking permanently. You see, if you have sorrows, if you have happiness, you drink one too many, and especially if you have both, moreso. Drinking cost me the loss of my life's biggest love (up until a few years ago, that is; dammnit all, when you drink, you suddenly become more talkative, and some affairs, if not all, require privacy, secrecy and decency...). It also, almost cost me my wellbeing (stopped drinking right before my liver's condition evolved into cirrhosis). But hell, anyway, i will dig in the past...

1) Black Russian.
    2) Cuba Libre.
    3) Sex on the Beach.
    4) Blue Angel.
    5) Bloody Mary (this one makes you really thirsty, and it is not very easy on your taste).
    6) Asian... Pussy... (sorry, honestly, that was its real name in the menu...).
    7) Long Island ice tea (a mix of many drinks, one of my favorites; too bad everyone makes this too damn light).
    8) This one, i never drank it, and i always wanted to; the famous, elusive, legendary, Death in the Afternoon, with Champagne and Absinthe.
    9) Or the Gladiator, which contains absinthe, and turns out in a three colored liquid in your glass.

Of all these, i mostly remember (and think i liked the most, too), the Blue Angel. It contained a measure of all white drinks, like rum, tequila, vodka and one or two more i now forget, with blue curacao, and one or two more ingredients. Very heavy, very biting, satisfying, cold and refreshing in taste and feel, me and my buddies drank this at summer, and it was a real breeze! The waitress though did not know how to make this one, despite it being on the menu, we waited a lot, for her to telephone a friend of hers to give her instructions, to prepare it for her first time, and to serve it to us. She made it heavier that it normally should had been, maybe the dosage were more than it should, and after drinking it, two of us accidentally dropped our glasses down on the floor (and she came to clean, looking at us embarrassingly).

3 and 6, the profane ones, i tried during a trip to Italy. They were really something else. Enjoyed them pretty very much. Honestly, though, i swear, the menu named them exactly this!...

P.S. When you are deeply in love, or in a relationship, or both, please, everyone, avoid drinking entirely. This is my advice, my legacy and blessing, to all of you. Just heed my words. If you want a bigger chance to become and remain happy...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Margaritas - on the rocks, lime juice not sour mix
    Dirty extra dry Vodka Martinis - prefer Belvedere
    Not big on other cocktails, more of a dark beer and red wine guy myself.
    Now that @Demonoid_Limewire's brought up Black Russians I feel the need to invoke the White Russian:

1 measure Vodka
    1 measure Kahlua (or other coffee liquer)
    Full-fat milk or light cream
    Ice
    Combine in a highball glass, serve.
    Optional - serve with a dressing gown and sunglasses

It's like a boozy milkshake. If it's good enough for the Dude it's good enough for me.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Corvino said:

It's like a boozy milkshake. If it's good enough for the Dude it's good enough for me.

I wish I had more opportunities to say the phrase "the dude abides" in conversation. Not related to this thread in any way, just thinking how awesome that line is.
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Corvino said:

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    My drink of choice is scotch. I don't drink many cocktails. Are Caesars considered cocktails? I like those. I also like vodka tonics and screwdrivers once in a while. I've always wanted to try a Rob Roy, but never had the chance.
    Due to my phillistine ways, I categorize Rob Roys, Wisconsin Manhattens (brandy), and Manhattens all as Manhattens. All are good if you dont overdue the vermouth. Worth trying

@Awong124‌ ever try a Rusty Nail? Scotch and Drambui... its really one of the few scotch cocktails thsts not an insult to the distillery; even then, I would use a good blend, or affordable singlemalt. Its also delicious.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    @DreadKhan I've never actually tried Drambui before. I generally don't like scotch mixed with anything. I've tried a Seven and Seven before and thought it was disgusting. I'd like to try a Rob Roy or a Manhatten sometime, but maybe I'll try a Perfect Rob Roy because I'm afraid that a regular one would be too sweet.
    Drambui is a scotch honey liquer... so you'd be mixing scotch with more scotch. Usually red vermouth isnt that sweet tasting, despite its name. The herbs are bitter, so the sweet offsets this a bit. That said, a good manhatten or rob roy should have some bitters added, to gaurantee its not oversweet, but at home I ususlly just use a tad less vermouth.

I feel the same about scotch and good brandy or cognac: never mix aged hard liqor with anything that will interfere with the flavour. I knew a guy that insisted cognac was 'great' with cola. $40mif its cheap ffs, and he might has well have mixed it with cheap whisky.
    I know a guy who drinks Makers Mark and diet coke, and insists that's what he gets when we buy a round. It's a waste of decent whiskey and money if all he'll taste is cola.

Whenever I end up drinking and wearing a suit at the same time I have a perverse desire to drink gin Martinis. Naturally, you've got to use very good gin, as little dry vermouth as the bartender will allow and and an olive. There's a perverse kick to be had from someone noting that you've got a girly looking drink, then watching their face as they take a sip. Done well they're chilled rocket fuel, it only takes two and I'm finished for the night.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Its kinda funny, I lived in the Caribbean for two years yet only had one cocktail (Sex on the Beach) during my entire time there. I will have to rectify this when I go back.

I was never a big drinker and my knowledge is very limited, but I did try something once called a New Orleans Fizz that was pretty good. It was fairly thick and tasted sweet. I believe it had eggs in it, which initially made me not want to try it, but I actually liked it.
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Zambooka, that was pretty good but seeing as i lost a fight to Vodka i avoid it alot.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I drink scotch neat. That or beer (generally IPA's). Nothing else :D
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Il go for Irish Coffe winter time and 6-7 ice cubes+1/3 Malibu and 2/3 pineapple juice summertime,last one is really fresh and you won't taste the rum at all..I like beer too Carlsberg and Frydenlund.