Skip to content

Hello everyone! New to the Baldur's gate here.

Hello everyone, let me start by introducing myself a little.

Unfortunately, I was a little young when Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games first came out, so I didn't really get into them the first time around. (I was about 8 at the time)

Some years after that, I got introduced to D&D from friends in my church. We played following a loose set of 3.5 rules.
I was excited when Neverwinter Nights 2 came out and I enjoyed it very much, despite all the hate it got, it was the only D&D game I've played.

I was reluctant to pick up the older games as they follow older rule sets, but after some convincing from friends, I decided to start playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions. I'm sure the older rules shouldn't be that much of an inconvenience.

So I have 2 questions
1. Is there anything I should know/What should I expect coming into this game having only known 3.5 (and half a campaign worth of 4.0) rules?
2. Are there any must-get mods that everyone have, that make the game a lot better?

I thank you for your responses, and I look forward to reading your/sharing my game experiences.

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2014
    @DawgSlaya‌ Welcome to the forums!

Concerning your questions:

1) the rules are quite a bit different, negative AC is better, for instance. If you have any doubt feel free to post in the forums.

2) Yes, both for BG1 and BG2. But I really think you should play the games with no mods at least once to teach yourself the game if nothing else.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • irendieirendie Member Posts: 421
    1) Rules are slightly different as mlnevese‌ said.
    2) On first run i just recommend Unfinished Business for BG2EE (i don't know if there is compatible version for EE because Czech version (I am from czech republic, so if there are mods in czech i use them) was converted by one Czech modder.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    edited July 2014
    Welcome to the forum and the game hope you will enjoy it :)

as for the rules @meagloth sum the basic of them in another thread and I thought it gonna help you too so I hope it will.
    meagloth said:

1. Thac0 and armor class(AC). Lower is better. I won't bother you with details, but thac0 is how well you can hit the baddies, and AC is how well you can avoid getting hit. Dexterity help your AC, and strength heps your thac0.

2. magic.(arcane; mages an sorcerer)Very important, even more in bg 2. Basically you need the spell sleep. This will put most enemies out for the first third of the game, and then you can just hit them with a big stick. Intelligence helps you get spells.

3. magic(divine; clerics and Druids) heal spells and bless. Wisdom gives you more spells.

4. Thieves. Put all your skill points in find traps and pick locks. Once those are at 100(will be late game) the put some In Hide in shadows and move silently(which, confusingly, do the same thing) dexterity help their thief skills.

5. Fighter types(rangers, paladins, and barbarians as well as fighters.) give them the biggest sword they know how to use and let them have at it. Not to complicated, and a good starting class due to durability, especially if your having trouble. Constitution gets them(and everybody else) more hit points.

6. Turn the difficulty down if you haven't already. There's no shame in this. I play on easy, and I learned to read on this game.
    Don't worry about charisma. Basically it lowers shop prices, based on the score of the person in the top slot. Just move the party member within the highest charisma into the leader position.
    As for mods there are good mods out there but the other are right, it better to play the first run of the game as it is so you can feel it as free as possible.

@irendie just so you know Unfinished Business for BG2EE is compatible :)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Whoa, cool. Some adoy actually listened to me,*and* cared! That's a first. anyway, yes, that, and I would not play any mods on my first run, so you can see the original game. After that, I think for bg1 BG NPC project, and SCS for both and Ascension(sorry, no link. I don't know much about this one) for bg2 are real good. I've never played a mod though, so I wouldn't really know.
    mlnevese said:

SCS for a new player may be quite a challenge...

I'm just saying that's what seems to be popular. I personally would recommend using mod for your first year or so of playing, unless you get very bored with the vanilla game.
    @meagloth lol don't exaggerate, people don't wait that much for installing mods now days, but yeah one should play the game for the first run without mods and see how it goes and feel for the person if he wanna try mods after the first run it his/ her choice. I agree BG NPC project is a good mod that add a lot for the first game.
    kaguana said:

@meagloth lol don't exaggerate, people don't wait that much for installing mods now days, but yeah one should play the game for the first run without mods and see how it goes and feel for the person if he wanna try mods after the first run it his/ her choice. I agree BG NPC project is a good mod that add a lot for the first game.

I'm not exaggerating. I've never had a mod. Ever. And I've been playing for a looonnngggg time.
    meagloth said:

kaguana said:

I'm not exaggerating. I've never had a mod. Ever. And I've been playing for a looonnngggg time.
    Good on you, but I think that BG NPC project really add life to the first game.
    kaguana said:

meagloth said:

kaguana said:

Haha, I wish I could play. I'm exclusively on iPad for bg1, and have a slightly screwy App Store copy of bg2 for our Mac. I almost got xan npc, but something didn't work with Weidu at the end.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @meagloth‌ Ascension & SCS aren't really recommended for new players. They'll bug out your entrails with their 1,2 MB .BCS scripts.
    CrevsDaak said:

@meagloth‌ Ascension & SCS aren't really recommended for new players. They'll bug out your entrails with their 1,2 MB .BCS scripts.

Okey. They seem popular tho.
    Though I *did* tell him to wait a year, @CrevsDaak‌
  • TarotMasterTarotMaster Member Posts: 147
    Don't forget to gather your party before venturing forth! Lol
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @DawgSlaya Expect some conservative and unintuitive rules (some classes are only for some races), THAC0 is your Attack Bonus and the lowest is best, same with AC.

Also expect to die often because the games to newbies can be brutal.
    You cannot expect to win if you set everyone to AI and do a few stuff. You need to micromanage your party and do everything to succeed.

Generally, don't underestimate it. If you're not careful, it will kick your ass and frustrate you.
    But if you take the time to learn, you will feel awesome when you outsmart with tactics and careful spell placements the encounters.

Play carefully, save often, take the time to learn the rules and you will succeed.
    Just charge in and expect to win, you will fail again and again.
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2014
    Must get mods I would suggest are: Solaufein mod, The Longer Road mod, and if you like a challenge the Ascedance mod. There's another one that makes Spellhold a lot shorter (just a series of tough fights) but I forget what it's called.

Quick save a lot and pause even when you don't think you need to. Getting the right target focused in the quickest amount of time is crucial in these games. I prefer the non enhanced edition since you can increase play speed by upping the FPS.

SpellholdStudios.net is a great mod site that is still very active. Also probably the main reason you are even playing enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate is because they kept the community alive.
    edited July 2014
    meagloth said:

kaguana said:

meagloth said:

kaguana said:

Haha, I wish I could play. I'm exclusively on iPad for bg1, and have a slightly screwy App Store copy of bg2 for our Mac. I almost got xan npc, but something didn't work with Weidu at the end.
    Well I hope you will be able to play it one day because it great mod.

• CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Welcome to our little forum! :D
    I'd start with vanilla BG. :) Add mods after you've had a few play throughs and gotten used to the 2nd Edition system. :)
    Enjoy! :):)
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited July 2014
    Yes, welcome! And we are always eager to hear about other's play, so please share with us your experience, if you have time.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Hey there. Welcome aboard! Nice intro... So, let's get going, and let's get along with everyone! We 'll take care of you well (iconic anime line, i assume from your avatar you are into that as well).

Older rules, are arguably better. First of all, you roll dice for getting closer to the perfect stats! You can mostly use charisma as a dump stat, and max (18 or more, if another race has +bonus to a stat) ALL other major (or complimentary) stats of your class. Which means you can build for characters the powerhouses of your dreams! Then, it is the thing about negative AC bonus. The less you have, the better it is for you. Also, the spells (and arcane spellcasters) are very effective, efficient and even exploitable, to give you a very easy time throughout the games. Keep in mind that certain class combinations are very overpowered, and are ideal for solo runs, or a group protagonist. Fighter (or kit) dual to mage, for example, or Ranger (or kit) dual to cleric. And don't forget that dangerous fighter/thief. 1) Icewind Dale 1 is ideal for MULTICLASSING, because it allows you reach maximum level in EACH AND EVERY class (30). 2) Baldur's Gate Saga is ideal for DUAL CLASSING, because you can start your career as a warrior, or even better, a kit, get all HP, weapon proficiency, extra attacks and saving throw bonuses, and then happily dual to a caster at the right level. Dual classing is preferred, because unlike multiclasses, you can choose a kit for initial class, and here, you are NOT allowed to hit max level for all multiclass classes. 3) Some iconic class combos, for making your life easier, are: a) Berserker -> Mage, Berserker -> Cleric, Berserker -> Druid, Kensai or Wizardslayer -> Thief, Cleric -> Ranger, and others. Don't pay heed to that Kensai -> Mage, because in late game you find a certain pair of wonderful gauntlets, it would be a waste being unable to wear them. And, berserker immunities are better anyway, combined with the fact they can wear armor (certain endgame elven chain, ideal for fighter/mages), if they wish. Best level for dual is 13, because there you get an extra half attack as warrior. You can also dual at 9, if you have trouble getting much xp, but keep in mind that most kits (like berserker and kensai) get larger bonuses if you bother getting them all the way to 13. About casters, mages need to hit 28, clerics/druids 38, in order for you to get the maximum number of castable spells. And keep in mind, ranger cleric dual or multiclass, unlocks both cleric and druid spell pool. So it is generally much more preferred making a single ranger to cleric, rather than keep 1 cleric and 1 druid (or variations of them).

You are better of starting with the originals. BG1 had different rules. Most of them, made your life much easier. Some examples are: 1) Spells that summon monsters, spawn a good number of them, which depends on rolled dice. 2) Spells that cause fear/confusion/hold, last longer and are resisted with more difficulty. 3) Weapon categories are great; you invest some points into a single category, but the result is mastery in a vast selection of many different weapons! 4) There are many "errors" that you can use for making your life easier, such as equipping the boots of speed, and a ring of free action, they stuck together. Or equip a twin ring of wizardry (two of them simultaneously (level 1 spells in first game are very useful and powerful, this is grand). Or begin your game by killing the npc named Firebead Elvenhair inside the inn of Winthrop (first game area) and start your adventure at level 2-3. 5) In 2, you can use spells like simulacrum and projected image to clone your character some copies of him/herself; imagine it being a caster, and his copies start firing those damaging spells or summons... 6) The enhanced editions are full of bugs themselves, and unfortunately not only the bad old ones. And they focus themselves towards the MMO pattern; which is giving priority to balance and nerfing of whatever works well, or to be precise, TOO well to be considered intentional, and bugs come second, if they ever come at all. 7) The originals have been revamped; the GoG version of them, for example, works really stable and smoothly. Also, if you bother to install some mods, you can actually turn the originals into something almost identical to the enhanced editions, yourself! But keep in mind that mods, generally, can cause problems, and most mods are concerned themselves also with balance, nerfing, and that sort of thing.

Don't forget to check thoroughly Icewind Dale 1, also! It is really good.