Skip to content

The consequences of low reputation

KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Playing with an evil party has always seemed like an intresting idea to me - evil characters have a certain charm and more often than not a personality which is more intresting than that of a good character.

However, even if you make dialogue choices that are extremely lacking in morality it's hard not to increase in reputation pretty quickly - having to save Nashkel and gaining money by helping people left and right. Having evil characters complaining about your doo-gooder deeds must be one of the most annoying things in Baldur's Gate. On the other hand - perhaps evil characters should be glad being part of a party with good reputation. Why wouldn't they want to cover up their evil intentions by having people think they are heroes, much like Sarevok does?

It is also tedious having to buy everything at a much more expensive price. Merchants should be intimidated by your presence if your party is thoroughly known as evil and offer items for less just like they do to good parties.

What do you guys think, should there be more ways to be able to decrease your reputation? If you've ever played with an evil party, how do you normally do to keep your party members satisfied?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2012
    Usually my solution is to edit happy.2da so even evil party members are happy at high reputation, and thus never leave. I roleplay this as the idea that my character's leadership bring so much 'power and glory' to the party that even characters of evil disposition are prepared to put up with good reputation for the other advantages coming with it.

Consider a guy like Edwin - without you he'd likely still be stuck in a lowly position under Mae'var, whereas under your leadership he'll attain the nether scroll, slay numerous dragons and liches, travel to other dimensions, conquer untold dungeons and eventually blossom into one of the most powerful archmages ever to walk the Realms. Stands to reason he'd put up with a whole lot for that.
  • JordOfTheDeepJordOfTheDeep Member Posts: 9
    There is a mod out there called Virtue:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=107&Itemid=82/

It splits how your party think about you and how other people in the world think about you, so you can have a very high reputation but a very low virtue score (Which means NPC's outside of the party love you whether as your own party, if they are composed of do gooders, will absolutely hate you. Your virtue score also affects your alignment and class (if you play as paladin or ranger) etc. It pretty much let's you play as Sarevok does in the first game!
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    I dont know for this virtue system, but there are definitely something that can be done for the reputation system regarding evil pary.

-The merchants acknowledge your 'great deeds' event if you are not a saint:
    Let say that you have 16 reputation and kill a guard in an isolated house for the sake of keeping edwin and viconia in your party. You now have 10 reputation and your followers acknowledge that, but merchant still use the 16 and ultimately the cap of 20 because after all, you save the day so many time.

-In addition, adding other ways to lose reputation can be great: 10% chance when stealing merchants or pickpocketing random npc for exemple (even if you are not catch). Or adding random dialogues on random folks and then be able to insult them for another -1.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    KolonKu said:

It is also tedious having to buy everything at a much more expensive price. Merchants should be intimidated by your presence if your party is thoroughly known as evil and offer items for less just like they do to good parties.

You are right !

btw: I already start something similar...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1950/good-bad-reputation-discount-in-shops#latest

• KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    KolonKu said:

You are right !

btw: I already start something similar...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1950/good-bad-reputation-discount-in-shops#latest

Like they say, great minds think alike.

If I recall correctly, there was a mod that involved paying bards in the same way you pay'd tribute to a temple. These bards would sing songs of your terrible deeds and thus make your reputation go down. It's an easy (and perhaps lazy?) way to fix the issue of having trouble trying to balance your reputation, but it should work.