Skip to content

Obe the Illusionists' Helper Party - Where's the exploit??

Help, folks!

I swear that no more than a week ago, on this site, I read a detailed description of an exploit to get the training party out of the storehouse without having to use export/import or an external tool or leaving the game.

Now I cannot find that thread after dozens of search term variations, and even a scan of every thread title that is grayed because I have viewed it recently.

The description involved clustering the NPCs near the player and Obe, then dismissing them all, and denying their requests to rejoin. Then, I THINK, you either triggered Obe's teleport, or waited for him to get tired of playing around so he would trigger it himself. Paused, bespoke one of the NPCs, then allowed the teleport to complete. that left you with a remaining party member inside, whom you could use to speak to/join up the others and lead them outside to rejoin the avatar. I THINK.

Can any of y'all point me to the original post of the technique, or a subsequent description of it? I'd like to mess around with these guys a bit.

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I've never heard of this. But I'm not very into exploits. The really cheese thing I did as a kid was to get their magical gear, export, import, and start again. That way you could have your band-new character nice and loaded in about 2 minutes. I imagine you can still do that one;)
    I have to admit I would love to do a run with that party though.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I'm pretty sure you can still save the game with the party then use EE:Keeper to edit them and click the "exportable" box. Then export them and import them in a multiplayer game, save the game and copy paste the save in your single player folder.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    NPC mod you can ask NPCs when kicked out of the party to meet you at the FAI.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Swear I saw it explained in a post I ran across a week to 10 days ago. Maybe it was a different fan forum.
    edited July 2014
    Thanks. I had remembered MOST of that, but you've got slightly different sequence at the end. I've been trying to use the click to talk on the NPC to pause Obe's teleport, rather than the spacebar.

Not hopeful that it will work, even so - in EE, Obe's cut scene DD spell starts REALLY hard on the heals of "end dialogue".

I suppose to remain more or less canon and not have any conflicts with later story, one should probably only use these guys until your avatar can recruit some of the intended NPC companions, then send the old home friends back to Candlekeep so they can logically be there for Chapter 6. Broadens the opportunity to RP an actual years long standing relationship with these guys, however. The twist of them showing up along with Imoen is kinda neat; like she is a very persuasive kid.
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    What's even more interesting about this party, is that even though they're almost completely silent (one line when selecting and sounds for getting hit and dying) they're one of the most powerful characters among all the NPCs:
    - Arkanis has 9 hp more than allowed for his lvl (2 lvl fighter with 19 con - 39 hp), with 18/53 str he's an amazing and durable fighter. Even more tanky than Kagain (unless Kagain will have 21 con with the tome).
    - Canderous is the only cleric to have 18 wis, his 16 str also helps. He also has lay on hands ability (like paladins), but for some reason loses it after leveling up.
    - Osprey being cleric/mage has a lot of spells at her disposal, her stats are not as overpowered, but she has a wand of the heavens (extremely useful at the beginning) and an invisibility as a special ability (similar to Quayle).
    - Mordaine is similar to Dynaheir, has the same special ability (slow poison), but has 18 int and overall better stats and a wand of magic missiles.
    - Deder is similar to Montaron (better dex but worse str), but his thieving abilities are absurdly high for his level.

In comparison to this party, normal NPCs are very talkative, so I would recommend to play with them just for fun. Some time ago I did a minimal reaload run (only reload when Charname dies) and Arkanis survived all the way to the end of the game. Now I have Osprey in my party and later on she amazing with a ring of wizardry and a ring of holiness she has so many slots for spells I tend to give her some weird spells to memorise. Those NPCs have a potential for a mod maybe (BG NPC project?).
    Cool. So many ways to fill that hole in one's party that there just doesn't seem to be a round peg for, and to balance for the oddball PC that you are dying to run.

I think I'd like to see a mod where they were easier to get out, but they had scripting automatically drop away at variable points, to return to their Candlekeep lives so they would be back 'on set' logically for their later appearances.

This would be a great party to run a monk PC with, for instance.
    FWIW, I am now pretty sure that this WILL NOT work in BG:EE. I tried for about 45 mins tonight, 15-20 attempts or more. It may be "fixed" or it may just be more efficient code executing on faster processors and beating the human finger every time. But I do notice that there is no "chant time" for Obe before that Dimension Door gets sketched. I think it is pure cut scene from the instant player acknowledges the dialogue.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Although I didn't try it, I'm pretty sure the strategy I described above should work and is far easier to do.
    edited August 2014
    I hope it will for those that are interested in that route, and I appreciate the attempt to help.

However, for myself, I was only interested in using techniques that did not involve the use of mods, editors, export/import, or restarts. Ways to do it within the "allowable" actions of a single continuous, unmodified game, in other words.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, um...... yeah. If you don't want to violate the sanctity of the game's "Intent", then having THAT party certainly does that. But whatever...
    Please don't misunderstand. I will (and have) happily played vanilla (my favorite flavor of ice cream) and I am quite accepting that the option/exploit doesn't seem to be available in EE.

But I would try it out if it were available within the game. For that matter, if a player could accomplish it within the game as published, who is to say whether it was an "unintended feature" or an Easter egg for the very determined, similar to the bonus cash from Firebead Elvenhair.

(FWIW, I would never play that entire party. There would be no room for Imoen! I expect I would send them back one by one over the first couple of chapters as I met other companions along the way. That way they would all be logically available for their later cameos at Candlekeep.)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @‌dreamrider - There are loads of things that are "POSSIBLE" in the game that were not intended to be regular play. Not everything that "can be done" in the game is an Easter egg. Just check out some of the 'Speed runs' in the game.

It just seems a bit contrary the list of things that you won't do to achieve this thing which, on the face of it, appears to be contrary to the game design in exactly the same manner as the things you won't do.

but at the end of the day, if you can find a way and you enjoy doing it? Great. I love MODS and think they enhance game play immensely, so who am I to say?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Gotural said:

Although I didn't try it, I'm pretty sure the strategy I described above should work and is far easier to do.

i just tried and as @dreamrider said, it goes straight to dimension door as soon as you want to leave, all though one time i was able to pause for 2 seconds somehow ( a bug within a bug) but before i could react to what was going on, i was outside, so unfortunately it can't happen in the EE's too bad, i wanted to use that party just for kicks, i guess if i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to i could just start up a multi-player team and make all those guys, but yeah know, exploits are more fun :)

• Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited October 2014
    Recruiting Osprey would be an excellent addition to existing RP possibilities. Makes playing a pure Fighter or Paladin or class more doable. Osprey, Imoen dualled to ConjurorMage and an Inquisitor Charname would make a great Trio playthrough!!

You could even include Ajantis in that group and give the game a whole religious slant for an amazing playthrough with morning prayers, prayers for the fallen, sacrificial rituals, confessions, etc....

No LIMITS!!

ps: this exploit was described long ago, though not so clearly, in the classic BG1 FAQ by D. Simpson: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDIQ0gIoADAB&url=http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/75251-baldurs-gate/faqs/2456&ei=ZXlJVOGmKfWBsQTL3oHwDA&usg=AFQjCNEgk54EYWx1OdwuyLz0dSQelsGdWA&sig2=b3WBej5ArB8X5vwiXlcAcA
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    @Dreamrider: Definitely works in my BG-ToSC game. I have tried unsuccessfully before to pull this off but now I have Osprey and Deder outside Candlekeep. Fortunately I remembered the advice to transfer Osprey's Wand of Heavens and War Hammer to Deder before dismissing party near Obe.

Osprey was the one I talked to after the immediate Pause following Obe's dialogue. Then, through her, talked to Deder. Obe then repeated the Dialogue offering to transport us outside. This I set aside by selecting the "Not just now..." option and then clicked on Charname's portrait to re-return to Candlekeep grounds. No problem!!!

I had pursued the RP idea above and hand-rolled an 88pt Fghtr [Elf] with 18/97Str. Will be my first playthrough with a pure Fighter Charname.
    Hmm. Thought so. You did it in vanilla/GoG retrospective version. Almost certain at this point that you can't get those friends out on the trail with you in BG:EE - though I still try from time to time.