Skip to content

Interesting article about nostalgia and "the classics"

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
This morning I found this in the News list for BG:EE on Steam: a link to a Rock, Paper, Shotgun piece about the recent trend in remastering old games: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/11/hd-remakes-nostalgia/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+rockpapershotgun/steam+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun:+Steam+RSS)

It also features some input from Trent, although I thought it was most interesting for the overall message. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Comments

• IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    edited July 2014

Oh, man, this is a rabbit hole I really do not have time to go down because in the end it's mostly semantic and entirely subjective, but...

Isandir said:

Like movies and television, gaming has had to evolve, overcoming its initial simplicity in order to tell richer stories, which I agree are central to any valid form of art.

I have to challenge this statement. First, it presumes there are invalid forms of art, which may actually exist but which would necessarily need to be defined in order to have a productive discussion. Off the top of my head, the only potential invalid form of art I can think of is outright forgery of a work, and I'm pretty sure I could justify even that on artistic grounds if I was so inclined.

Secondly, if one removes the troublesome "valid" qualifier from the sentence, it's dismissing out of hand any number of non-narrative oriented artforms, particularly abstract works.

This sort of discussion generally revolves around what one's particular definition of Art is. Until a definition has been mutually agreed upon, arguing whether something is art or not is pointless. By Ebert's definition, videogames can't be art. By your definition, they can. In the end, the only thing that matters is what each individual experiences and whether they consider that experience to be positive in some fashion (usually emotionally or intellectually, though spiritually, physically, and probably every other conceivable "-ally" are possible too.)

I could spend a week just responding to the three or four comments in this thread so far, but I'd probably get fired if I did, so I'll just cut it there for now.

Please do keep responding! I think it's safe to say that most of the members of this forum would love to hear more from the team in areas not necessarily directly linked to the game, whether in this thread or others.

In this case I was arguing from Ebert's own statements, and I believe he overlooked the very games that would have run against his classification. His argument rested on delineating games from art due to their adherence to a set of rules, objectives and points--and came closest to contrasting this to film in citing the latter's "superior artistry and imagination". Yet the examples cited (in all fairness, drawn from someone else's presentation) were Waco Resurrection, Braid and Flower, none the type of work that gamers would likely hold as stellar examples of storytelling.

On the other extreme, abstract works may not tell stories in a traditional sense, but I do think they still convey a message of sorts through the use of specific techniques (which was again why I think Ebert overlooked the fact that all types of art follow certain rules).

As for a definition of art, I agree entirely that there will always be a degree of subjectivity present, but I don't think that makes it an irrelevant or insignificant discussion. Tolstoy argued that the simple debate of beauty--whether one work is appealing to one person versus another--does little to provide any overarching framework, as it pushes the question into an examination of the causes of that preference rather than focusing on the art work itself.

I'm inclined to agree with him. When we begin with the presumption that art cannot be defined at all due to subjective appeal being a part of it, we merely overlook the fact that we have already defined it as being all-encompassing. Yet that is precisely the point in question. Georgie Dickie made an excellent point in arguing that subjectivity in art can still exist within defined parameters: "All or some of the subconcepts of art may be open and the generic conception of art still be closed."

Many people would probably find the whole discussion pointless, but when others do this, I'd personally say it's one worth having.