Skip to content

Fighting on your terrain, or super-cheesy??

Tonight I did the Werewolf ship, and my strategy was to send Imoen up cloaked, start the Karoug dialog, and have her lure the pack out in small doses to my party down below. Once I whittled the left group down, I buffed the party and send Imoen back up to pull Karoug and the last two to the basement into the waiting arms of a party waiting with protections, haste, wands of paralyzation and the heavens and other lycanthrope-killing goodies. Needless to say he went down.

But the whole thing got me thinking....is it legitimate to not fight the enemies on the floor they are spawned on?? Is luring them to their deaths a cheesy gameplay mechanic or good tactical fighting??

Comments

• NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    It can be a bit cheesy considering how the AI functions in such a way that only a few will follow you down at a time. Realistically, entering into a small, enclosed space full of hostile enemies would draw the attention of ALL of them, not just the couple nearest to you while the rest are blind, deaf, and dumb to your passing.

It would be a solid tactic if the AI scripts were more intelligent. However, as it stands now, I'd consider it abusing the limitations of the AI scripts. Not that I haven't done so myself, mind you.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I do it a fair bit. I also like to lure a couple of members away from groups like Tarnor in the sewer in BG2. I don't see why they wouldn't investigate a noise if only one or two of them saw/heard it. It's like the horror movie thing, they wouldn't all go stampeding off into the darkness at the slightest sound or the murderer couldn't pick them off one by one. . .
    CaloNord said:

I do it a fair bit. I also like to lure a couple of members away from groups like Tarnor in the sewer in BG2. I don't see why they wouldn't investigate a noise if only one or two of them saw/heard it. It's like the horror movie thing, they wouldn't all go stampeding off into the darkness at the slightest sound or the murderer couldn't pick them off one by one. . .

Perhaps not, but when it's one of the party members catching clear sight of an enemy rather than just hearing a suspicious noise or seeing a strange movement out of the corner of their eye, it's reasonable to assume he or she would call to notice the other party members, alerting them of an enemy. From how the AI script functions, however, each NPC has a certain radius of alertness which specifically affects them. Thus, you can lure away one NPC by simply standing there while the others are oblivious to their comrade's blind charge just so long as you are out of their respective alertness ranges.

I've used this tactic myself, but I must admit it is kind of abusing the scripting of the AI's in the game. If doing so makes you feel too dirty, just try a different, less dubious tactic.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited July 2014
    Hmm. Actually, I may try that using traps one day. At least with Karoug on the shipwreck, I mean.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Oh come on, they make you come to them all the time! "I AM DILKANDAR THE DREADFUL. COME TO MY LAIR!" Entirely fair to draw them your way.

Oh come on, they make you come to them all the time! "I AM DILKANDAR THE DREADFUL. COME TO MY LAIR!" Entirely fair to draw them your way.

They do so primarily due to the limitations of the game and AI scripts themselves, not really for roleplaying reasons—though typically, it's assumed that the adventurer would be the one invading or intruding. Anyway, no matter how you cut it, this tactic is abusing the limitations of the game. Yeah, you can try to justify or rationalize the action as playing the game fairly, but in the end that's not really how the game was intended to be played.

The reason why hostile NPCs follow you through rooms anyway is so that you can't cheese by quickly killing an enemy and leaving to rest up, only to repeat the process until the room is cleared. There's no fair solution to preventing both these cheesing tactics without locking the character in the room once hostiles are detected, which itself is pretty unfair and irrational from a roleplaying perspective (in most cases).
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Hm, I don't know. It is a bit cheesy, but then the battle itself is kinda cheesy. Karoug can only be hit by four weapons and just walking into a Greater Werewolve's heavily defended lair requires you to act like an idiot. So either way, if you're RPing it makes little sense.

I can see it being a legitimate move if the AI were more intelligent. For example you could lure them to the floor below using Immy, where two of your party members are in wait, invisible. The AI would assume that you've either gone downstairs or are hidden so they'd likely split up. Then you'd pick them off one by one.

There are a lot of similar moments in the Baldur's Gate series. It all comes down to your own perspective. If you believe that using cheese in an especially cheesy fight means one cancels out the other, then that's your prerogative. Just as it is for those who believe that cheese is unacceptable in any circumstances.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited July 2014
    More than often the line between strategy and cheese concepts is a little faded... one can't does not simply set up a firm definition of what is strategy and what is cheese (please insert Boromir MEME here): The only thing I could suggest you, @jjstraka34‌, is that if you feel that a strategy you used seems cheese to you and in the end it doesn't satisfy you, try to change it and go in another way, maybe fighting the entire pack of wolfweres is more challenging and it might satisfy you better. :)
    Post edited by Metalloman on
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Yes, I often re-load combat scenarios in order to optimise my tactics i.e.
    1. Defeat the oppo using any cheese necessary.
    2. Win without using cheese.
    3. Achieve the desired result as surgically as possible using the fewest resources and sustaining the least injury.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    "Know your enemy!" is sensible advice to any warrior, real or fantasy.

Whatever pattern(s) of behaviour is programmed into the AI, players will naturally learn what to expect, and devise tactics to win against that behaviour. If the AI were re-programmed to behave differently, then players would quickly adapt by devising ways to defeat the new behaviour. That's not "cheese", it's simply intelligent play ... and because real-life combatants also try to anticipate how their opponent is likely to act, it's also justifiable role-playing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited July 2014
    OK, I know all (let's say most of) of the cheesy tactics/exploits possible in this game, and yet I don't even use most of them.
    My favorite tactic to kill Karoug is taking 2 Potions of Fire Resistance, equipping the Ring of Fire Resistance, buffing up with Stoneskin, Fireshield (both Red & Blue), Blur, stack some good AC (-10 or more) and then use Potions of Explosions/Oil of Fiery Breath to the Karoug so you regenerate and damage the Greater Werewolf at the same moment, also you can target Potions of Fire Breath to the Greater Werewolf and run in circles.

Also, I took Karoug down in melee with a (level 14) Thief (Swashbuckler so no Backstab) with simply the Burning Earth, a Potion of Defense, 2 Potions of Mind Focusing, a Potion of Regeneration, a Potion of Fortitude, an Oil of Speed, a Potion of Power, Ring of Protection +2, a plain Studded Leather Armor (just for the AC modifiers), Buckley's Buckler, Wolfsbane Charm, the Golden Belt (+3 bonus vs Slashing weapons AC modifier), the Cloak of Balduran, the Gauntlets of Specialization and one casting of the Bhaalspawn innate Draw Upon Holy Might, with the following stats: 18/19/14/19/12/13. [spoiler=Calculations]This sums up in:
    AC calculation:
    +10 base AC
    -3 AC from Swashbuckler's passive ability
    -10 AC from Potion of Defense
    -1 from Buckley's Buckler
    -2 from Ring of Protection +2
    -1 from Cloak of Balduran
    -6 from 25 DEX bonus (base DEX 19 +6 from Potions of Mind Focusing)
    10-10-6-3-2-1-1=-13 AC
    HP calculation:
    +20 from 22 CON (base 14 CON, Potion of Fortitude sets base to 18, +1 from Buckley's Buckler and +3 from Bhaalspawn innate DUHM)
    +60 from Thief levels (10*6=60)
    +8 from Thief levels (4*2=8)
    +20% from Potion of Power (set to 120%)
    10+60+8=78+20%=93 HP
    Damage calculation:
    1d8+1, +2 form Long sword +1 (hit as +4), +2 vs Regenerating creatures
    +9 from STR (base is 18, +3 from DUHM)
    +2 from Proficiencies (2 points spent in Long Sword)
    +2 bonus from Swashbuckler's passive ability.
    +2 form Wolfsbane Charm
    1d8+1+2+2+9=15-22, +4 damage per hit
    THAC0 calculation:
    +14 base from Thief level
    -2 THAC0 from Swashbuckler's passive ability
    -1 THAC0 from Proficiencies (2 points spent on Long Sword)
    -1 from The Burning Earth
    -2 from Wolfsbane Charm
    -20% base from Potion of Power (set to 80%)
    (14-20%)-2-1-1=5
    [/spoiler] So Karoug might be difficult, but there are much harder foes in BG2.

Edit: apparently, I had the auto correct on, and it changed every single from to form... evil machine.
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Sometimes @CrevsDaak‌ scares me... o,O

Joking of course but really he never ends to surprise me for his deep knowledge and precision at his young age! ;)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Metalloman It's a sign of a misspent youth. ;)

(But then on a serious note my youth was misspent until I was about 16 soooooo I can't exactly claim to be the greatest about that sort of thing.)

OK we keep talking about Karoug -- only four weapons damaging him and all that. I'm thinking. The Sword of Balduran, right? Because it's specially marked to hit him or whatever. After that it's +3 weapons right? So the Two-Handed Sword +3, Quarterstaff +3, Short Sword +3, Kiel's Morningstar? What about Kondar, the Shapeshifting Bastard Sword? Could the Moonblade hit him? How about that club, +3 vs. unnatural creatures, does that one work (and is it even in the game?!) ? Drizzt's scimitars? Backbiter? Cursed Berserking Sword? I'd appreciate if someone set the record straight for me on this one.

"Know your enemy!" is sensible advice to any warrior, real or fantasy.

Whatever pattern(s) of behaviour is programmed into the AI, players will naturally learn what to expect, and devise tactics to win against that behaviour. If the AI were re-programmed to behave differently, then players would quickly adapt by devising ways to defeat the new behaviour. That's not "cheese", it's simply intelligent play ... and because real-life combatants also try to anticipate how their opponent is likely to act, it's also justifiable role-playing.

I don't know, the whole idea of playing on the limitations of the AI script still gives me a dirty feeling. Unlike real life, where patterns can be detected and countered through effective strategies, the patterns for the AIs are preset and programmed in such a way that there is no deviation or surprises (in most cases), which is itself pretty unrealistic. If we're talking about realism, then there's no justifiable excuse why hostile enemies cannot request assistance (effectively, not just a floating dialogue animations stating as much) or alert nearby allies to the disturbance.

In real battles, whether modern or medieval (or mythical), both sides would employ strategies involving subterfuge and guile, and many times these approaches change and adapt to the varying encounters. While the player characters can do this under the omnipotent authority figure that is you, the AIs are stuck in predetermined strategies which can easily be countered if known. In this respect, the enemies in Baldur's Gate function more like mindless automatons rather than actual people, which is—at least most of the time—quite unrealistic. So if we're talking about realism, the AI scripts are already as unrealistic as you can get.

Regarding the whole argument that the fight with the Greater Wolfwere is itself cheesy, I can totally sympathize. Combating broken AI mechanics with manipulating the AI script is understandable, if not altogether wholesome, gameplay. As for me, though, I don't recall cheating or cheesing during this fight. It was definitely a bitch, but after a lot of buffing and preparation, I charged into battle and wiped the room in just under a few minutes—you know, minus the 30 minutes of incessant reloads. Then again, I suppose the entire idea of preparing for a battle my characters should have no knowledge of is pretty cheesy in itself, seeing how my own knowledge of events from a different timeline (i.e., game before being reloading, different playthrough, etc.) shouldn't reasonably factor into my character's decisions. But as far as I'm concerned, it appears that this sort of trial-and-error preplanning was intended. Otherwise, this game would be near-impossible even without the Insane Difficulty.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The Art of War (and good ol' common sense) dictates that you shouldnt charge blindly into a situation. Its mildly abusive of the AI, but mods can help with that. I see engaging Karoug on his terms as something akin to seiging a castle when you dont strictly need to, something Master Sun abhores doing... its the lowest form of war, and costly to all involved.
    @Quartz‌ only cold-iron weapons can hit the Greater Werewolf. While in BG2 you'll need Silver weapons to hit it—I know, pretty confusing.
    Are you sure, @CrevsDaak‌? In BGII, I was able to kill Greater Werewolves quite easily without any change in my weapons (then again, I had all +3 or higher weapons) on multiple occasions. Perhaps the silver-weapon-only restriction only applies to Greater Wolfweres? I haven't encountered one in BGII yet, but if they're there then I suppose they are the one's most vulnerable to silver weapons.

Are you sure, CrevsDaak‌? In BGII, I was able to kill Greater Werewolves quite easily without any change in my weapons (then again, I had all +3 or higher weapons) on multiple occasions. Perhaps the silver-weapon-only restriction only applies to Greater Wolfweres? I haven't encountered one in BGII yet, but if they're there then I suppose they are the one's most vulnerable to silver weapons.

I think the ones in BG2 are quite different, I just checked the game's files, but I don't know which are the ones from BG2 that you find in SoA, I just checked for the BG1 ones that are in BG2 (maybe they are not even used), which are different to the ones in BG:EE.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    edited July 2014
    @Quartz as CrevsDaak said only cold iron weapon can harm him, weapons with a bonus vs lycanthropes or vs. cold creatures.
    The following four weapons can harm Karoug: Flame Tongue, Sword of Balduran, Kondar & Werebane.

@CrevsDaak‌ I belive you missed the Golden Belt in your Calculations, also you should have worn the Wolfsbane Charm, not because you needed it but more just so you could be as beefy as possible

OT: I think it's a little bit cheesy, but I too do it on occasion, I play for enjoyment and not some epeen kind of achievement and abusing bad AI can be quite amusing.
    I think most fights are designed for a bit more head on approach and should therefore be played as such. But with a bit of cheese one can manage quite hard fights with a lower level party
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited July 2014
    In my mind it gets hard to distinguish between kiting enemies up and down floors and the pre-buffing that takes place before fights (often specific counters to stuff you are going to face), knowledge that is only gained through experiencing the fight and saving and reloading. And at that point, does EVERYTHING besides a strict RP run with no reloads become the only thing that doesn't qualify as cheesy?? The slope is slippery. I could have chugged every potion in my bag and made it just as easy, and that wouldn't make it any more or less legitimate, and while it IS abusing the AI, it isn't exploiting a bug either.

In my mind it gets hard to distinguish between kiting enemies up and down floors and the pre-buffing that takes place before fights (often specific counters to stuff you are going to face), knowledge that is only gained through experiencing the fight and saving and reloading. And at that point, does EVERYTHING besides a strict RP run with no reloads become the only thing that doesn't qualify as cheesy?? The slope is slippery. I could have chugged every potion in my bag and made it just as easy, and that wouldn't make it any more or less legitimate, and while it IS abusing the AI, it isn't exploiting a bug either.

That's the dilemma I'm facing as well. I don't rightly know where to draw the line between what is considered cheesing and legitimate playing. From what I've observed, however, this game is—to some extent—meant to be played with certain dubious tactics, such a preplanning and prebuffing despite having no knowledge (from the character's roleplaying perspective) of the upcoming encounter. I suppose one could consider any tactic which overtly manipulates or breaks the game engine or scripts as cheesing, while the knowledge present from reloading being simply a consequence of having a game with quicksaving and reloading capabilities.

In the end, unless you play your first playthrough with no reloads or cheesing, you are to some extent manipulating the boundaries of the game. Seeing how such a challenge would be virtually unbeatable, not to mention the issue of whether to replay the game after having died, I suppose certain types of cheesy tactics are overlooked.

In the end, it really just comes down to what you're comfortable with doing. For example, when I
    used the Machine of Lum the Mad to gain 200,000 quest experience on my protagonist, despite multiple reloads,
    I felt pretty dirty and ashamed.
    Even worse is that there is no limit to this, so you can theoretically repeat this action given enough patience and reloading until every character you wish to level up reaches their maximum possible level and experience caps.
    edited July 2014
    Take the encounter with Karoug that started the conversation. Right of the bat, you have no chance without a combination of the 4 specific weapons that can hurt him (aside from some serious potion and magic firepower). Now this is common knowledge among Baldur's Gate players, and indeed, someone who plays a isometric roleplaying game is the type of person who is likely going to take the time to study up on the fight and find this out rather quickly, but say you aren't that type of person?? You will likely have two of the weapons you can use, but the third (and most powerful one) is located BEHIND Karoug, which means that you have to have a Thief with high lockpicking, hide, and move silently to even get to it. And how would a player ever know that, or expect that the most useful weapon to use in the fight is only directly available AFTER he is killed (granted it may have been put there for the fight through the village and the underground warrens afterwards, but still). I'm not saying it's wrong or unfair, but I am saying the game itself is often just as cheesy as the player, and often it is one or two specific tricks that turn the tide completely in your favor where you would get slaughtered otherwise.
    @Quartz‌, @Freche‌ - you missed one, there are five weapons which can hurt Karoug. In addition to Kondar and Werebane (which you'll probably have), Flame Tongue (which you might have, if you tackled Durlag's Tower before going to the island), and the Sword of Balduran (which you probably won't have, because it's behind Karoug), you can also hit him with Albruin (which you might have - it's dropped by Simmeon, in Dorn's questline). Note that three of these weapons (Kondar, Sword of Balduran and Albruin) are all Bastard Swords, so it can really pay to have invested in Bastard Sword proficiency for someone in your party!

@CrevsDaak‌, @Nokkenbuer‌ - there's some terminological confusion in your comparison between BG1 and BG2. Karoug is a Greater Wolfwere, not a Greater Werewolf, which is not the same thing. The weapon restrictions to damage them are different, and Greater Wolfweres are tougher than Greater Werewolves.

Even though I asserted earlier in this thread that I don't see it as "cheesy" to make use of terrain features (doors/stairways/whatever) in combat, I don't actually find such tactics necessary to beat Karoug. If your party is well-armed and well-buffed, you can take on the whole room at once and kill them all - charge Karoug in melee with a Hasted warrior armed with (and preferably proficient in) one (or indeed two, if dual-wielding) of the five weapons which work against him, support that warrior with a mage blasting him with fire damage (because he's vulnerable to fire - preferably use Melf's Minute Meteors, which have a very high APR, then other fire magic afterwards if Karoug is still standing), and use the rest of your party first to take out Karoug's mage and then to take out his wolfwere lackeys. By the time the rest of the room is cleared, Karoug is probably dead too, but if not then give him some more magical fire damage (e.g. Flamestrike from a Cleric's spell or wand, Potion of Firebreath from anyone, etc.) until he falls.

That's just straight toe-to-toe combat, and works reliably. Doing it this way, I can't recall ever needing to reload against Karoug.
    That isn't a bad strategy, though the pack that spawns to the left of the room is actually far more problematic than Karoug if you are prepared for him. The issue with these small rooms is that your party spawns in a sub-optimal position in almost every situation, and one random movement from a Wolfwere or some bad NPC pathing can make things hairy in a hurry.
    @Gallowglass‌ they both get the same immunity-providing-ring when the game is the same.

That isn't a bad strategy, though the pack that spawns to the left of the room is actually far more problematic than Karoug if you are prepared for him. The issue with these small rooms is that your party spawns in a sub-optimal position in almost every situation, and one random movement from a Wolfwere or some bad NPC pathing can make things hairy in a hurry.

Well yes, the cramped spaces on the ship do call for micromanagement of each character in combat, the AI scripts aren't good enough to position the party members in the right places and attack the enemies in the right order.

However, the pack of wolfweres to the left are also quite vulnerable to fire, so it helps a lot to throw a Fireball to that end of the deck as the first combat instruction (and if you time it well, you can have the Fireball already in flight at the moment when they spawn). I tend to use a wand for this, because it usually works faster than casting. The closest party member to where the pack spawns (and therefore the one they'll probably target) is often one of your back row, so commonly it'll be a Mage ... but that's no problem so long as the Mage has Stoneskin up. Stoneskin will hold them off for long enough to kill Karoug's mage first, then everyone who isn't engaging Karoug can turn on the wolfwere pack (most of whom will already have been damaged by the Fireball), and they won't last long.

One key tip: don't jump the gun by attacking Karoug before he changes into his Greater Wolfwere form. Move your Hasted warrior (who will be engaging him) next to him a.s.a.p., but don't give the attack order until he has turned hostile and transformed - in his "human" shape, he's pretty much unkillable (by design, to make sure that the dialogue can happen), so you're wasting your strikes (and more to the point, wasting your magic) until he transforms. Usually Karoug's mage will turn hostile before Karoug himself does, and sometimes can even be already killed before Karoug goes into action.