Skip to content

A Dwarf's Journeys Through Loneliness (Solo Dwarven Defender PlayThrough BG1Complete. BG2 On Hiatus)

ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
I wanted to play a dwarven defender solo, so I did. This character is completely meta-gamed, with no role-playing aspects. In fact, I’ll be explaining his activities using short sentences and bullet points. (Well, hyphens, but you get my point) I also won’t be using (many) pictures. I’ll take a few, but for the most part it’ll be just text. He’ll also take party members for specific things that he considers greatly important. (Ex. Imoen for the STR tome) Without further ado, here he is. (Just after leaving Candlekeep)

Treyve Goldbeard (shortened to just Treyve in game for simplicity's sake)

So he’s pretty well made from a meta-gaming sense. He does have two points in S&S style, but that’s because he’s a dwarven DEFENDER. I’ll put points into 2W style once we reach BG2, but he’s got plenty of points to go around, being a fighter kit.

As for any sort of bio, he’s basically lacking. He was trained by Arkanis and he’s very powerful. He doesn’t really train for any specific reason, however, he just enjoys it. He figures he’ll live in Candlekeep his whole life, eventually opening a shop or something. He’s a little more intelligent than an average man, and has slightly above average wisdom and charisma as well. The intelligence and wisdom mainly play into his combat strategy, while his charisma is due to his jovial nature and general friendliness. He’s not brilliant or charismatic, but he’s a da** good warrior and a fine dwarf. He studies with Gorion but he’s not exactly diligent. He’s learned the basics of life, and really doesn’t care to read and study any more, especially when the books don’t have any practical application to his life.

So now, onward to the game journaling.

Chapter 1: Wilderness Exploration

-Bought equipment at Winthrop’s (after “borrowing” some stuff from Winthrop)
-Completed Firebead’s, Phlydia’s, Dreppin’s, Reevor’s, Hull’s, and Fuller’s quests
-Killed the two assassins
-Looted the whole town
-Left with Gorion and was ambushed.
-Left Imoen at the ambush site.
-Robbed Montaron and Kagain, leaving them destitute of all but armor and weapons.
-Found the tree diamond.
-Left area

Current inventory:

-Entered the Crossroads
-Picked up protection ring in rock
-Killed belt ogre
-Went to FAI
-Picked up Ring of Evermemory
-Killed Tarnesh
-Had items identified by Gellana, starting with Evermemory ring to be sold for money.
-Entered inn and sold items
-Spoke to Dorn/Khalid/Jaheira
-Robbed Khalid/Jaheira of their potions and abandoned them
-Finished identifying items
-Finished selling items
-Took Landrin’s quest
-Accepted and completed Joia’s quest
-Traveled to Beregost
-Calmed Marl down
-Leveled
-Gave Firebead the book
-Killed spiders
-Saved Neera and took her items as payment
-Leveled. +1 to axes
-Killed Silke
-Sold items
-Killed Karlat
-Traveled South of Beregost
-Killed ogrillons
-Killed Flaming Fist
-Killed hobgoblins
-Searched cave
-Returned to Beregost
-Traded
-Gave Mirianne her note
-Gave Zhurlong his boots
-Traveled to High Hedge
-Traded with Thalantyr
-Obtained Perdue’s short sword
-Traveled to FAI
- Completed Landrin’s quest
-Slept at FAI (He was so hurt that it cost 64 gp to heal fully! 2 days & 16 hours in a royal room!)
-Traveled to Beregost
-Completed Perdue’s quest
-Traveled to the Red Canyons
-Killed Bassilus
-Killed Zargal
-Found Melicamp
-Traveled to Thalantyr’s
-Saved Melicamp
-Traveled to the Temple
-Completed Bassilus Quest

Character selfie and current inventory:

-Killed wolf pack
-Killed Cattack
-Returned to Beregost and slept to recover from wolf fight
-Accepted Bjornin’s quest
-Traveled to Fisherman’s lake
-Killed half-ogres, Teyngan, Jemby, and Zekar
-Used invisibility potion to have Drizzt die
-Returned to Beregost, completed Bjornin’s quest, and traded

Current inventory:

-Traveled to North Nashkel Road
-Obtained Colquetle family necklace
-Returned to Beregost
-Returned necklace to Mr. Colquetle
-Traveled to Xvart Village
-Killed Xvarts
-Searched Cave
-Killed Borda
-Traveled to Bear River
-Killed Neville
-Helped Laurel
-Traveled to Gnoll Stronghold
-Killed Gnarl and Hairtooth
-Cleared all three caves
-Traveled East to Dryad Falls
-Killed Ingot
-Looted cave
-Helped Dryad
-Traveled to Beregost and traded
-Traveled to FAI, slept, and traded
-Traveled to Fishing Village

I’ve forgotten to take note of most of my level-ups… Just to clear things up, here Treyve is.

As for proficiencies, he has 2 pips in axes, hammers, and S&S style. Continuing on now…

-Hired Ajantis to be a pack mule
-Spoke with Brun
-Retrieved Nathan's body
-Fired Ajantis for being a terrible pack mule
-Returned Nathan’s body
-Paid Brun 100 gold
-Cleared Ankheg nest
-Traveled to the farm and killed the zombies
-Traveled to Ulcaster and traded
-Returned to Beregost, traded, and rested
-Traveled to Thalantyr’s and traded
-Traveled to the Lighthouse
-Killed Arkushule
-Saved child from worgs
-Killed Sil and the Sirines
-Leveled
-Looted Black Alaric’s cave
-Recruited Safana
-Traveled to Thalantyr’s to identify and trade
-Traveled to Shipwreck Coast
-Used Safana to kill Shoal and Droth
-Fired Safana
-Helped Mad Arcand
-Killed ogre-kin party
-Used the Surgeon to heal
-Traveled to the Archaeological Site
-Killed Ba’ruk
-Dealt with the archaeological expedition and doomsayer
-Saved Brage

Current Character Selfie and Inventory Shot:

Post edited by Elrandir on
BlackravenGoturallolienHenkeBRavenslightchickenhedJuliusBorisov

Comments

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Blackraven‌, this is the guy I was talking about playing in my free time.
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisov
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Yeah, a proper badass! Onward to glory!
    ElrandirlolienRavenslightJuliusBorisov
    I don't know if I'll use it much since despite being quite excellent, it's neither a hammer nor an axe, which is what he'll be sticking with almost entirely. Then again, like Drizzt's Scimitars, if the enhancement level is high enough, THAC0 won't be any issue.

As for whether or not I'll make it to BG2, that depends on if I ever get through BG1 with the ridiculous numbers of play-throughs I have currently. (both on the forums, off the forums, and off the forums that will be put on the forums one day.) My restartitis is quite severe. =p Plus with my new job everything takes longer for me to get around to doing. I like to believe that I'll get it all done one day.
    lolienRavenslightJuliusBorisov
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    The difference between High Mastery and Specialization isn't that great. Between Specialization and Mastery you get +2 To Hit and +1 damage, but all you get for High Mastery is +1 damage and some Speed Factor.

You could easily save those HM points for any other weapon you might want.
    @Dazzu That may be, but I'm still going to become that proficient with them. My character is going to use AotU and Crom Faeyr almost unceasingly in BG2, so why not wield them as efficiently as possible? Besides, my THAC0 will be as good as I need it for any other weapons anyway, so why bother?
    lolienRavenslightJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited August 2014
    That's true, I would go for 3 pips in Hammer and Axe with 2 or 3 pips in dual wielding, then 2 pips in Flail for DoE, then completing the HM only later. Excellent run so far ! Sarevok will die soon I guess :)
    Post edited by Gotural on
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Ohh, only now I've found this thread. Wonderful! I like so much to read about other's playthroughs. Especially if they are about shorties:)

Nice progress, @Elrandir‌ ! I still remeber Theodoric, the Cavalier Hero of the Sword Coast and hope Treyve Goldbeard will enter the hall of fame as well.

Definitely bookmark.
    RavenslightlolienjackjackElrandir
    Aww, thanks @bengoshi‌, I appreciate the kind words. I actually started a thread where people can "advertise" their play-throughs, since many of us don't get as much "publicity" as we'd like, so if you check it out you might find even more play-throughs you've missed. Here's the link: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/33353/advertise-your-written-play-through-s
    JuliusBorisovjackjacklolienRavenslight
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    YEEEEEESSSSS! Elrandir is back! Treyve is back! Keep it up :)
    ElrandirRavenslightlolienjackjack
    And the others will follow. It still probably won't be frequent, but by golly I'm gonna finish all these da** things if it kills me. And at the rate I'm going, I might be dead by the time they're done.
    lolienjackjack
    bengoshi said:

YEEEEEESSSSS! Elrandir is back! Treyve is back! Keep it up :)

^
    ElrandirBlackravenlolienRavenslight
    edited May 2015
    Chapter 8: Crazy Cults
    -Set out for Ulgoth’s Beard.

-Was ambushed by a cult.

-Slaughtered them all, but lost soultaker.

-Learned about the dangerous demon the cult worshipped and then rested and prepared for battle.

-Killed the cult guards

-Told Therella about her son, who had returned before setting out again.

-Rested again, because 8 gold is cheaper than the cost of ten healing potions.

-Entered the cult’s base, slaughtering the enemy as he went.

-Drank a potion of cloud giant strength, heroism (the enemy had been dropping plenty of them), invulnerability, and invisibility, then proceeded into the enemy’s base

-For some reason the cult guards chose not to fight back, and Aec’latec wasn’t on screen, so Treyve dealt with Tracea and the guards, drank a potion of mirrored gaze, then went in.

-Aec’latec went down like a pansy.

-With the demon dead Treyve returned to Hurgan and told him the news.

-Treyve returned to the Friendly Arm Inn to identify and sell his treasure before traveling to Thalantyr’s for one final buying spree. He knew that his journey was far from over, but he needed all the supplies he could obtain for what would come next.
    Post edited by Elrandir on
    JuliusBorisovRavenslightNimran
    Chapter 9: The End Is Nigh Pt. 1
    -Unprepared for his new criminal status, Treyve was arrested by the fist and brought before their new leader, Angelo. Treyve was not a fan. While unfortunate, this gave Treyve the info he needed about current events.

-Being more cautious now, Treyve returned to East Baldur’s Gate, avoiding the Fist as he went by traveling in the shadows and the sewers.

-Treyve met and spoke with Tamoko in East Baldur’s Gate.

-Treyve returned to Southeast Baldur’s Gate to find and speak with Tamoko again.

-Hoping to save Eltan, Treyve entered the Fist’s headquarters, brandishing steel against those who would seek to stop him. He felt no joy in ending the lives of those he was not certain were truly his enemies, but only those following orders. Nonetheless, he cut down any who opposed him.

-In Eltan’s chambers Treyve was met by yet another member of the Fist, though this man was not like the others.

-Treyve slew the “healer” Rashad, who turned out to be yet another Doppleganger.

-Treyve then spoke with the Duke, before carrying him to safety.

BlackravenJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited May 2015
    Chapter 10: The End Is Nigh Pt. 2
    -Once Eltan was safe with the harbor master, Treyve went to the Iron Throne Headquarters to find Cythandria, as he was already in the district. There he spoke with more than one member of the group who was abandoning it, due to Sarevok’s now questionable business decisions.

-On the top floor Treyve met Cythandria, who was surprised to see him but was unafraid, as she thought herself his equal. Even with her two ogre minions, this was soon proven to be false.

-On Cythandria’s corpse Treve found Sarevok’s Diary. (Treyve snickered at the big bad warrior’s pwecious wittle diawy) In it he found an extraordinary wealth of information, showing just how deep this scheme had been. Pocketing it for evidence, he made his way to Southwest Baldur’s Gate, where he knew of a path into the Undercellar through the sewers.

[Originally I was going to screenshot every bit of the diary, but once done, I realized it was FIFTEEN images. Aint nobody got time fo’ dat.]

-Once in the Undercellar, Treyve found the dangerous duo of assassins, Slythe and Krystin. Putting on Edventar’s Gift, activating the Greenstone Amulet, and using his natural skills of Drawing Upon Holy Might and an unbreakable defensive stance, he advanced, fearing no evil. Slythe and Krystin fought, but Treyve was a titan of a warrior, and they could not stand against him.

-With even more incriminating evidence against Sarevok and an invitation to “Duke Sarevok’s” inauguration tomorrow, Treyve went to rest at the Three Old Kegs, an exquisite bar and inn just outside the Duchal Palace. He would need his full strength to end the threat he would face the next day…

-Arriving at the Palace after a long rest, Treyve was a sight to behold. He had taken the time to polish his armour and weapons, wash himself, and purchase the finest new clothes. One could barely tell Treyve had ever seen a day outside the city, apart from the small scars that were visible around his face and neck. With his equipment shining brighter than it ever had before, he stepped up to the gate guard and handed him his invitation. The guard bowed and opened the way. Once inside Treyve stopped for a moment, gathering his composure. This would be it. After he entered through the double doors into the hall where nobles stood gathered, there would be no turning back. Everything led up to this. Sarevok would die this day, unless, by some miracle, he repented. Treyve desired Sarevok’s blood, but he honored his promises, and Tamoko had made him promise. That said, Treyve felt that he would be forced to end Sarevok’s life, and he was not truly sorry. The guards were confused as Treyve began calling down the powers he held. The pillar of light that shone upon him as he activated his (Draw Upon) Holy Might drew their incredulous gazes. They stepped up to halt his progress, but before they could he had rushed into the room. Almost as if on cue, the proceedings began as he entered.

As Sarevok’s eyes landed on Treyve he exclaimed loudly, and as he did so the assembled nobleman all transformed into dopplegangers! Treyve quickly dashed between them and the Grand Dukes in an effort to defend them. Realizing the danger, the members of the Fist standing guard attacked the enemy as well. Although the Duke’s were capable of fighting, they were severely outnumbered, even with the Fist and Treyve’s assistance. Duke Liia was especially vulnerable, as she wore no armour, but rather an extravagant robe. She nearly fell, but Treyve used all his abilities to heal wounds on her in a desperate play. It worked, however, and both she and Duke Belt survived.

-Upon the enemy’s defeat, Belt turned to Treyve and thanked him for his assistance. Treyve handed him Sarevok’s journal, saying all that Sarevok had done as he did so. Belt was surprised at such a statement but took the book, just as Sarevok ordered Angelo to kill Treyve. Belt silenced him with a word, however, saying that no one was to touch Treyve until the documents had been read. Sarevok had other plans.

-Sarevok realized he was outnumbered and outgunned, and he fled immediately. Belt and Liia thanked Treyve immensely before teleporting Treyve after Sarevok, telling him to end this monster’s threat.

-As Treyve appeared in the guild one of the thieves came up, clearly confused by all the teleporting warriors. He pointed Treyve in the right direction before mentioning that their merchant had all the goods he could need for this hunt. Treyve was wounded and thought that perhaps this could be a good plan. He purchased a couple of rare and powerful potions before drinking eight potions of healing to quickly cure his wounds. There was no time to rest. He had to move and quickly. Once he was done he prepared the rare and powerful potions, elixirs, and scrolls he had obtained for this very fight. He was ready to slay Sarevok.

BlackravenJuliusBorisovlolien
    Chapter 11: Finale of Baldur’s Gate 1: The End Is N(ow)igh Pt. 3
    [Out of character foreword: I broke the role-play a bit by traveling to the Friendly Arm to retrieve the Golden Girdle of Urnst from Coran. While I’ve been using Destroyer of the Hills to buff my weakest defense (crushing), I feel that in a solo play-through I need every bit of defense I can get for the final battle, and a +3 against slashing attacks will be handy against the ‘Vok. I don’t feel too bad about this though, as the only real role-play so far has been with these last few ending chapters. Anyway, if you notice a difference in inventory or something in the following pictures, that’s why. I also realized a possible (overpowered, really) combination of items and so ran a test with the Greenstone Amulet and Durlag’s Goblet. It works. Well, anyway, back to the finale!]

-Traveling into the Thieve’s Maze, Treyve found more than one of Sarevok’s unfortunate victims as he tried to make good his escape. They were both alive, somehow, and while one of them was a source of Sarevok’s evil, Treyve did not mete out the justice he felt the man deserved.

[Interesting graphical glitch. Notice the highlighted bit that’s not really there?] image

-Treyve healed his wounds with potions and stepped forward to find a cavernous cave where Treyve stood on an island floating in the water. For such a thing to exist beneath the city was almost absurd, but Treyve focused his mind. Now was not the time. A short ways in he saw a large group, likely Sarevok’s final guards. Treyve had no time for them and quaffed a potion of invisibility to slip past them unseen. If need be he would deal with them later.

-Outside of a large temple-like building stood Tamoko, and Treyve knew this was where Sarevok hid. He revealed himself to her, hoping to make her leave peacefully. He could not sway her, however, so he hefted his axe, ready to fell one more.

-Tamoko was no match for Treyve, but he hung his head and sighed when she fell. This poor life, ruined by love of an evil man. Treyve was ready. Tamoko’s life would be the last that Sarevok would ruin, Treyve swore it.

-He boldly strode into the temple, ready to face his brother.

[I didn’t actually approach him so courageously in actuality. I learned my lesson when I played through with Theodoric. I only appear to have done so in the pictures because I needed a good image for the final conversation.]

[Fully buffed:] image

-Treyve began by hurling his axe at Semaj, hoping to bring him down so he could not dispel Treyve’s potion given powers. He failed, but he still managed to kill Semaj with a potion of haste and intense aggression.

-Angelo, knocked unconscious by a poisonous gas, was unable to resist the effects of a Cloudkill cast by Semaj shortly before his death. As he choked pitifully Treyve launched his axe, severing the man’s head.

-Tazok appeared out of the shadows, striking at Treyve, but Treyve was not about to fall. Knocking back his last potion of Cloud Giant Strength, Treyve brought down his axe on the half-ogre’s head, cleaving it in two.

-A battle horror summoned through a trap was the next to fall, though it required Treyve to combine the power of his Greenstone Amulet and the cursed Goblet of Durlag to heal his wounds.

-Already injured severely by Sarevok yet again, Treyve kept the cursed goblet at the ready. He had to drink from it’s blood red depths once more before his trusty axe finally split Sarevok’s mighty armour and severed flesh from flesh, bone from bone, and life from body. Even in death the warrior launched one last blow at Treyve, striking deep into his side.

-Treyve recoiled from the blow, but nothing could stop him now. He watched as Sarevok’s corpse faded to dust and was blown away by a sudden and eery wind. He scowled as he thought about Sarevok, their heritage, and his likely similar death that would someday come. The dwarf had little time to ponder this, however, as the group that he had seen before came bursting in. The ogre cried out as he saw the carnage, saying that the dwarven runt had taken their prey. The leader quietly said that no one would know who took Sarevok’s head, so long as they were the only ones to return alive. It was then that Treyve blacked out. Whether it was the excessive imbibing from Durlag’s goblet, or whether it was Treyve’s own black blood, his eyes grew dark instantly.

-When he awoke he found himself sitting on the throne, the corpse of the bounty hunters strewn across the room. Bits of them hung from the statues, the walls were painted with blood, and Treyve held their leaders head in his hands. His axe was still in the man’s skull, and he jumped as he realized it. Looking down at himself he saw he had apparently bathed in their blood, so soaked through was his apparel. Treyve felt sick, for though he loved battle, this was excessive, twisted, evil even. Had his father possessed him, even if only for a moment? Treyve shuddered and left the cursed ruin, hoping never to return.

-Over the next few months, Treyve wandered the lands in a daze. He fought and slew beasts and men alike if they challenged him, but he was lost. His goal was gone. Since he had left Candlekeep he had wanted revenge. Now that he had it, he didn’t know what to do. His fate was in his hands, but he had no purpose. All attempts to contact him by the Grand Dukes were failures, as no one could trace him. He had vanished. And then one day. He really did.

-Treyve awoke in a small cage, in a dark room filled with cages similar to his own. Most of them were empty, though he saw pieces of past prisoners in a few. He flinched and bent over. Flashes of torture rung in his head like the memories of a night spent in the hells. He gripped his face. Who was he? What had happened? Where was he? So many questions. Treyve gripped the bars and began to look around. In two cells behind him sat a woman of elven descent, seemingly meditating. In another, a bear of a human stood wrenching the bars, crying out. Treyve only realized the man was yelling after a moment though, for he heard no noise. His ears drew no sound, and he slumped against the cage, feeling helpless. He watched the man bellow for a few minutes, trying to read his lips. Treyve was unsure of what he was saying, though it appeared to be “Dying in here”, or so Treyve guessed. Suddenly Treyve could hear again. But not the man’s roar, no, that was still silent. Treyve heard footsteps approaching. Some deep fear within Treyve stirred, and he backed away from the sound, pressing against the cage in horror. Something was coming, and it terrified him. Finally it approached, and it’s words were clear as crystal in Treyve’s ears.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisovlolienGenryu
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Awesome @Elrandir! First of all congrats on beating Sarevok! Secondly, I'm pleased to see Treyve actually meet Irenicus... Looking forward to see you do BG2. And finally I love how after your initial businesslike reporting style, at some point the storyteller in you popped up, and made you give Treyve's tale a personal touch. You won't be surprised I prefer your most recent posts (little things like polishing the armor, surprise about the bizarre Undercity etc just make them more interesting to read). It would be great if you could continue this more colorful narrative style.
    ElrandirJuliusBorisovlolienGenryu
    edited June 2015
    Well it's a couple of days later than I'd meant, but here's my interpretation of how Treyve looked at end-game. I'm a little perturbed with myself, as I forgot to shade in the Cloak of Balduran like I did with Theodoric's drawing, but whatever. At least I did a (in my opinion at least) nifty little "over one arm" kind of thing with it that allows me to show off more of Treyve's gear.

Equipment shown: The Cloak and Helm of Balduran, Full Plate, Throwing Axe +2, Ashideena, Twinkle, Icingdeath, Paws of the Cheetah, Legacy of the Masters, Pellan's Shield, and the Golden Girdle of Urnst.
    lolienJuliusBorisovGenryu