Skip to content

Convince me to play a ...

So I have debilitating rerollitus. Its so bad I can't bring myself to even get to BGEE2.

I would really appreciate if you guys could take a class you've enjoyed and try to convince me to play it. I really need to lock a character in and stick with it and I could truly use your help.

I will RP as much as possible so please include any back story/ motivations you have.

Right now I don't have a preference for fighter, caster, divine, arcane, whatever. I'm open to anything.

The only class I'm not interested in would be any form of Bard as my only complete play through was with a Blade.

Thank you in advance!!
jackjackBlackravenlolienelement

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited July 2014
    That's a good point that @jackjack makes. Blades are rather Fighter/Mage-ish. Playing a vanilla Bard, for example, is very different experience. They're not really designed for martial combat. It's more about making the most of all the various things a Bard can do.
    Blackravenjackjackelminsterdemented
    For me, one of the funnest characters I've ever played is a half-orc Cleric/Thief. Love using the quarterstaff to backstab with the big guy. And you've got the cleric buffs and spells. But is there now a problem with EE for multiclass Cleric/Thieves? Recently when playing Tiax I experienced an inoperative Thieving button for Tiax for locks and traps...
    jackjackKamigoroshidstoltzfus
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    If you've already played a Blade, maybe it's a good idea to create a character who is neither warrior nor mage. @Lemernis mentioned the Cleric/Thief, which is a personal favorite of mine as well. Interesting single classes are Bounty Hunter (really unique if you play them as trappers), a Bard that isn't a Blade (both Jester and Skald are fun), or maybe a Druid kit like the Avenger (best Druidic spellcaster) or the Shapeshifter (spellcaster in normal form and literally a beast in Werewolf form).
    dementedDemonoid_Limewire
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You could always try playing a Dragon Disciple (sorcerer kit). You've played a bard, so you should be familiar with spell levels 1-6 for mages (which is a good thing if you are planning on playing a sorcerer). Its a very different experience from playing a blade.
    SionaDemonoid_Limewirejackjack
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited July 2014
    Gnomes are better C/T even with -1 wis/str. Str can be easily remedied with belts and wis becomes less vital as the game goes on (you might want enough for UAI wish scrolls.) The gnomish saving throws are not something you ever want to lose, on the other hand.

Also a lack of hotkey ready thieving skills is not EE specific.

That said, the class is good at all levels, and deceptively so. Early on, it's more of a utility class with buffs and dungeon clearing powers. As the game goes on, Kensai/Thieves will wish they were as lethal as you: the ability to do full damage backstabs with stat boosting and power boosting spells makes them practically a triple class, and they can use Sanctuary which should never be underestimated... and better yet, they can even use the Robe of Vecna with UAI to cast really fast.

Another to try is a dart wielding archer: you'll want to raid Watcher's Keep F1 asap, but once you do, you'll be making called shots not only with unlimited ammo, but faster than a bow. The fact that you roll 1d3 vs 1d6 becomes less relevant the more the +1 to hit/dmg comes up. After all, 1d3+8 damage*4.5 is stronger than 1d6+8*3.5.

Even with the benefits of bow grandmastery, darts are not to be underestimated.
    Blackraven
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    @Lemernis, this might be obvious....was he wearing heavy armor?
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    @Siona, I plan on a neutral trilogy run eventually with the shapeshifter. Thanks for the encouraging post! I figured I'd play one instead of reading about how bad they were without actually learning first hand.
    SionaelminsterBlackraven
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105
    Thank you guys for all of your replies! Its interesting that Shapeshifter and C/T are the two big options here. They are both classes I've always found interesting but didn't really think to actually make. I also like the idea of using a divine caster so I can use all the new NPCs.

Would a half-orc C/T who worshipped Selune make any sense?

How about suggestions for a Shapeshifter deity? Nobanion maybe?

I would definitely appreciate any more advice on suggested classes and especially these two.
  • VitharVithar Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2014
    Create a Monk and then get Dorn , Viconia , Korgan , Yoshi or Hexx , Edwin.
    You can replace someone of them with Sarevok in TOB .
    Have fun...
    Siona
  • SionaSiona Member Posts: 79
    @Dazzu‌ Gnomes don't get -1 str mate. That's halflings. Unless I misread the intent of the statement, in which case just slap me.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Siona said:

@Dazzu‌ Gnomes don't get -1 str mate. That's halflings. Unless I misread the intent of the statement, in which case just slap me.

Compared to a half orc, yes it's -1. 19 - 1=18
    Siona
    Ahh. Sorry then. Slappage received lol
    jackjack
    Vithar said:

Create a Monk and then get Dorn , Viconia , Korgan , Yoshi or Hexx , Edwin.
    You can replace someone of them with Sarevok in TOB .
    Have fun...

This. So much this. It's a class that requires care through the first game, to be sure. Completely doable, but not a berserker at that point. However, by level 10ish it'll be your most powerful non-caster (yes, I know that's a bold statement). At level 14 the magic resistance kicks in. At level 20 it's a walking god, and will be far and away your most powerful non-Sorc character. And that's before equipment. It will be hitting at 5 natural attacks per round, each hit doing more damage than a berserker with great sword with the same stats. Only magic weapons will hit it, and the high mr gets you out of most spells. Iirc (and I may not), I also got DUHM as a bspawn power :D
    elminster said:

You could always try playing a Dragon Disciple (sorcerer kit). You've played a bard, so you should be familiar with spell levels 1-6 for mages (which is a good thing if you are planning on playing a sorcerer). Its a very different experience from playing a blade.

Another very insightful statement. I've only beaten the first game with one, so maybe I'm totally off base, but I can't imagine the 1 spell/day is the handicap many say. I always had plenty of casts of whatever I needed. The higher hit dice is much more helpful then it might seem, the fire resistance was great, the con bonus got me regen, and the ac bonus was a blessing. The breath weapon was an instant "I win" button when I got in trouble.

I'd heartily recommend one. And if I were going to take a caster through 2, it would be this. Only an unexpected reinstall (iPad) kept me from doing it before.

Also, my apologies on taking over the thread. Had I realized I would be making so many consecutive comments, I would have made it 1 post ;)
    elminsterBlackraven
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Human Cleric dualled to a thief, or vice versa is fun to play.

I find dualled characters heal rerollitus if played properly. Not only are you RPing the character, you are building him up in 3 completely different stages. You don't get bored of playing him because the tactics that you have to use change at critical times. You also have a second set of goals besides advancing the story when you dual as you are attempting to accumulate enough XP to be happy with resting your first choice, then attempting to get enough to unlock your first classes skill set.

RP wise, when I am playing the entire trilogy, if I am playing a cleric that I want to dual class, I usually dual after I reach Candlekeep and read Gorion's note. I believe the character would have an epiphany at that time and realize worshiping another God besides the one he shares an essence with is wrong. The character may also feel slightly used as his chosen deity must of known about his taint and was just using it to further the God's cause.

If I am thief, I would dual to a cleric so that the chosen deity could help me overcome this gift/burden/ curse/taint or however the PC feels about being a child of Bhaal. Dualling to a Cleric of Talos makes sense (with shadowkeeper) because of Talos' Choas sphere. But finding guidance in other Gods could make sense as well with the right mindset.

If I am only playing SoA, RP wise I would dual right after Irenicus took the PCs soul. How could you still be connected to your God with that piece missing from you? This however can be difficult (restarting with minimal power as you are entering the Underdark), so dualling as you are about to complete your second classes stronghold is also a viable option as your PC sees the potential of becoming that class.
    jackjackBlackravendstoltzfus
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    If you are looking for a fun RP you could try making an Inquisitor that is constantly searching out, and exterminating, anything evil. Whenever you enter a new town, a tavern, meet travelers on the road, cast detect evil. If you find anything that is evil you kill it immediately, no questions asked, no mercy. You could play him as an arrogant ass who is always quick with an insult but deep down will do anything to further the cause of righteousness.
    Southpawdstoltzfus
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    My favourite playthrough with BG:EE so far was with a Elvish Neutral Wild Mage. I played her as a sort of walking contradiction. Her magic meant that spontaneous and unpredictable things constantly happened about her, but she was a very controlled and rational person. It may because of her magic she strove for balance in all things. She relied upon it, but could never fully trust it and so needed a bedrock of logical objectivity to fall back upon.

Her interactions with Kivan were especially enjoyable. She considered herself asexual and had never felt attracted to another human being. Kivan, however caused her to feel numerous conflicting emotions. Despite her desire not to get involved in the problems of others, her confused feelings for Kivan often influenced her actions.

dstoltzfus[Deleted User]Demonoid_Limewire
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Try to play a mentally challenged Ranger, who is very prone to berserking and has an animal companion...a small one. Like a hamster...
    ...wait...
    *Silent murmur of voices in the background*
    (annoyed) I hear that was already done. Nevermind then.
    dstoltzfusjackjack[Deleted User]

@Lemernis, this might be obvious....was he wearing heavy armor?

*Big palm slap to forehead*

Yup. Thankee.
    dstoltzfusjackjack
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    You should try a dwarf defender...
    jackjack
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Siona
    I guess I'll recommend also a dual-classed Fighter 3/Transmuter that I played recently and really enjoyed. Via EE Keeper I gave him an innate ability x1 of Barbarian Rage. And I had him use Color Spray a lot; and in fact he used his specialization school (Alteration) spells at least half the time. I had him using the Chelsea Crusher but it would have been fun to make a dual wielder out of him as well. Really fun character. Very enjoyable to use Color Spray so effectively for about 2/3 of the game (toward the end enemies are too high level for it).
    jackjackBlackravendstoltzfus
  • GlorenBronzebeardGlorenBronzebeard Member Posts: 45
    Always try a dwarven defender.... Some may find this class boring but I enjoy the art of defense.... With a cleric buddy the dwarven defender can withstand all most anything.... Aside from turning to stone... Been using throwing axes to take down those damnable wizards... But the defender is a strong class if you do not mind using your PC to absorb as much punishment as possible only to come out of it with some scrapes on his armor... Just the pure am out of HP is unmatched
    BlackravenSiona
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    Wizard slayer -> mage

Just for the irony.
    Blackravenjackjack

Always try a dwarven defender.... Some may find this class boring but I enjoy the art of defense.... With a cleric buddy the dwarven defender can withstand all most anything.... Aside from turning to stone... Been using throwing axes to take down those damnable wizards... But the defender is a strong class if you do not mind using your PC to absorb as much punishment as possible only to come out of it with some scrapes on his armor... Just the pure am out of HP is unmatched

Hey, now that's a great idea. Don't know why this class doesn't come up much. Live the great saves. Gonna roll one now!
    elminster
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    I've always enjoyed playing an assassin or a thief/mage.

Backstabbing, detect illusions and the odd trap make short work of most foes.

As someone mentioned before, blades are really fun to play as well, offensive and defensive spin really pack a punch.

The archer kit from rangers is really fun to try as well, focussing mainly on ranged combat was a real different approach for me, but it was really fun.