Skip to content

Roll Stats or Manually Allocate

perfectblueperfectblue Member Posts: 10
Does anyone else hope the developers will include both the ability to roll stats for character creation and to manually allocate points?

Otherwise for those that would otherwise manually allocate stats they can potentially spend 30min + rolling stats.

Comments

• EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Well it entirely depends on what you want. Most people want to power game a little with their characters and rather roll till they get a good enough set. While others much prefer to just take a standard row of predetermined values. I think it might be a good idea to at least add the option.

In my current D&D tabletop game for instance I allowed both. At first I offered them all a standard set of values but one of my players was adamant that she wanted to roll (despite the risk of rolling low - a negative you don't suffer in BG as you can roll infinitely) while the other three players rather went with the set values.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    @Antuine got it right IMO. Don't take away my entire evening of rolling abilities. When you spend that much time rolling, you become invested in the game.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I never liked the rolling mechanism - it reduces your ability to customize your PC - but the game is what it is. Let it stand. :)
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I think the rolling and then limited allocation is best because not only does it give some flexibility, but also gives a level of difficulty and choice. I also agree that the game should stay as it is.
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    The way it is. I don't wante "major" changes to the game.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'd much prefer a point-buy system so I don't have to re-roll just to get an 18 Strength. If nothing else, I'm a little tired of walkthroughs that blather on about how you NEED to roll 18s in everything, and solo artists who brag about beating the game with their overpowered Thief/Wizard or Fighter/Wizard with 18s or 19s in everything.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    There are certainly things about the character generation screen that I think could be improved, this isn't one of them. Rolling is part of the reason why I think the game is unique.

Personally I'd rather see them do something with the skills part of the character creation. It would be nice if I was making or importing a mage character (specifically in BG2), and I could freely go between mage spell choices. As it stands now, if I were say selecting level 3 spells for a new mage and I wanted to go back to looking over level 2 spells I'd actually have to go through the entire skill section all over again. It is a tremendous pain.
  • SargielSargiel Member Posts: 35
    I wouldn't mind to see both - but I definitely want to see rolling retained. There is a lot of pleasure in building the best character you can and I certainly spent ages re-rolling for my no-reload runs through the game.

For me it's a no brainer as you can cater for everyone easily then we can all play how we want. I can re-roll if I want, others can play with the first rolled stats or allocate by a set value as in 3e if they want. There's no reason to insist anyone's approach is wrong and block it as all of those approaches can be handled with the old set-up. For example if you want a fixed value allocated just determine what it is and re-roll till you've got that number of points to play with :)
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I roll and let the dice fall where they may.

And then keep re-rolling until I get the stats I would have allocated in the first place.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @permidion_stark ain't that the truth.

i prefer to roll, but they have the cheat for people who want to allocate stats. But i think rolling in a game like this makes it *Your Character*. Kinda like only a mom would love you enough to take care of you when you were sick as a child, you grow to love the char by sacrificing so much to prepare him/her for the world.

I know this sounds stupid, but that's the point where you bond/meld with your char. If i roll high stats from the start (more the i wanted/excepted) i'll take them, but i'm never quite as interested with that char as one i had to work for.
  • Dannen6272Dannen6272 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2012
    I roll my stats and redistribute, but I never change a stat more than 2 points in either direction. Keeps me from power gaming, but gives me enough flexibility to move things to suit my class. Its tough to get 18s but I think it makes things more interesting.

Sometimes too, I'll roll the stats by hand following the book rules and then set up the game with the ones I rolled.
  • KharasKharas Member Posts: 150
    edited August 2012
    More options are always great. But personally I just want the system that is in the game already..

I am actually looking forward to spending hour upon hour rolling and rerolling to get good enough stats...

Its probably a sign that I need help.. but its okay.. its for BG :)
  • cutlasskiwicutlasskiwi Member Posts: 35
    Kharas said:

I am actually looking forward to spending hour upon hour rolling and rerolling to get good enough stats...

Its probably a sign that I need help.. but its okay.. its for BG :)

I agree and probably also need help. ;) Starting a new character and hoping for that one amazing roll of the dices was just so much fun.

One time I decided to go with the first roll I got and then solo the game. That playthrough was hell to complete! :)

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I wouldn't mind if you just got to select what each stat should be without limit, based on your roleplaying idea. It's a single player game with unlimited rerolls after all. Then again this is easily done with an editor as well, so it's no big deal.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited August 2012

Does anyone else hope the developers will include both the ability to roll stats for character creation and to manually allocate points?

Otherwise for those that would otherwise manually allocate stats they can potentially spend 30min + rolling stats.

Actually the current character generation of Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale is a hybrid. You can roll for stats. But then you can lower one ability score for a specified value (down to the absolute minimum requirement) and increase another ability score (up to a maximum value or until you spent all free points).

The 2nd edition rules do not really penalize you so much for having lower than average scores. Nor do you get that many benefits for above average scores. Besides that some restrictions / abilities which are based on the ability scores (e.g. casting penalties for clerics with below 12 wisdom, bending bars for high strength characters, maximum spell levels for cleric depending on wisdom, etc.) aren't implemented. With 3rd edition rules things look quite different, though.

The combat mechanics as they are implemented allow for some (some would say cheesy) tactics like the character that got aggro is going to kite while the rest of the party ranges the opponent (works well vs ogres and other melee opponents on early levels). No need for a high hit points & low AC meat shield.
    Post edited by beerflavour on
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    Anduine said:

I hope that the developers keep the game as it was (and as it should be), which is rolling for ability scores.

There should be a dislike button.

Rolling for stats is a waste of time and therefore it would with certeinty drive me away of BG:EE. What I like most about AD&D is the fact that we can allocate a given amount of points to the stats, without restrictions of class (some race restrictions like higher CON and lower INT (or was it CHA?) for dwarves, but those make sense). However, if I am to waste an unknown amount of time pressing a "roll" button until the stats are what I want (which, by the way, creates the same result as just allocating them) I will not.

It is interesting... I have no memory of having to roll for the stats from BG. Probably I just pushed that unliked memory aside, only keeping the good ones.

Ah well, we'll see what happens... I preordered so I'll take a look for sure. After that I'll decide on the future.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited August 2012
    I don't think point buy really works for the 2E system, but frankly the stat re-allocation system present in BG (1:1 transfers) is even more unbalanced than a proper weighted point buy would be. Getting from 8 to 9 costs the same as getting from 17 to 18, even though one is worthless and the other priceless. Given the stat bonus system in BG (and AD&D) where vast ranges of ability scores have the same mechanical result, some kind of weighting is necessary.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Though not ideal, manual allocation already is possible and I did it in Icewind Dale. Choose a value up to 108 (say, 80), roll until you roll 80 or more and then invest no more than 80 in your attributes. Shadowkeeper is always there if you can't standing rolling a couple of times.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2012
    I prefer rolling and keeping it. I like average people winning. I mean sure I like drizzt and vash the stampede, but I will always prefer tanis. I can't relate to prodigies.
  • KageDeltaKageDelta Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2012
    I would reroll until the cows came home if they would add a simple button that minimized all the stats I rolled so I could see my outcome. I already hit reroll a million times if I could hit reroll. Then a single subtract button instead of having to hit every single attribute down to the minimum I would gladly reroll two million times. Anyone else wish such a button existed?
  • tOXOPEWtOXOPEW Member Posts: 2
    How many distribution points can you max get?
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    108, as mentioned above. 6 * 18. However that is extremely unlikely (unless you use a Ranger/Cleric or Paladin, then it gets easier).

I love rolling for stats, but I would like options such as limited re-allocation (+- 2 max or something), "keep the first roll", distribution of a standard array or point buy as well. They may not be 2E, but if their use is "gamers discretion advised", then I don't see why it'd hurt. It would just be additional game modes, so to say. Of course, you can always discipline yourself or just Keeper it, but I personally can't do the former if no one is forcing me (although I would enjoy it) and think of the latter as cheating. It's just not the same if it isn't provided by the game.

Putting in a one-glance stat total would be ace, however.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I kind of love rolling. And when I don't, there is always a trainer or a keeper nearby. :)
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2012
    Game is fine the way it is.