Skip to content

area of effect wands need more feedback - EDIT: Can't cast AoE scrolls from quick slot

SirBaldurSirBaldur Member Posts: 80
edited August 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Area of effect wands (e.g., fear, sleep) don't show up in the portrait window when the caster shoots it and thus doesn't disappear either after it shoots.

+ there's no pause when wand shoots (only when memorized spell is cast).

+ there's no text that caster has shot the wand.

+ when potential target of wand is immune, there's no text in console (there's no save roll) that wand failed.

The combination makes it sometimes tough to know whether a wand has actually shot already, and it is safe to have the caster to something else. It is very easy to miss the save roll when there's lots of attack text going on in the console, so you might be waiting for nothing. The only real way to know is when there's visual feedback - fireball is real obvious :).

I don't know that any of these are actually bugs, but i don't recall having this confusion in original pc version.

By the way, great job with this game. I see lots of other bugs cleaned up from original version. I stopped playing the original bec it was pc only, but on android this one is great for commute!

EDIT on 8/16/2014 - I have since discovered that there is a more serious bug. I can cast spells directly from scrolls from the quickslot only if they target someone directly (e.g., blindness or magic missile). For AoE scrolls (e.g., grease or web), nothing happens. I select it, choose a spot, spell is de-selected, nothing happens. Garrick just about took the early dirt nap trying multiple times to get a grease off.

This may only affect android and maybe ipad? Based on comments below, doesn't affect mac, and doubtful it affects pc else it probably would have been raised before, though I can't confirm.
Post edited by SirBaldur on

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    While the character is "readying" the wand, there is an icon of the wand on their character portrait (just like when casting a spell).

When the wand fires, the wand icon disappears.

So, watch for the wand icon to disappear.
  • SirBaldurSirBaldur Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2014
    hmmm, that's not appearing for me. I'm in bgee, and i do see that when i use direct attack wands (like magic missile wand), but not on any area of effect wands (like fear or sleep. If that worked like you said, it would be great. I do also see that when casting spells from memory, even area of effect spells.

not sure if it matters, but i am playing on android.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Try pausing--it appears and disappears too fast sometimes.
    actually tested while paused. The easiest test is using wand of fire. If i use the fireball, no icon. If i switch to scorcher, i get the icon. I can switch back and forth while the game is paused, and the icon on the portrait will disappear on fireball and appear on scorcher.

I thought this was just a standard behavior for AoE wands, but sounds like you are both saying it should appear.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2014
    I tested with BGEE on OSX. I get a wand icon with every wand: magic missile, fire (fireball and scorcher), paralyzation, sleep, summoning, etc..

Maybe a platform issue?
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    anyone on android seeing this work properly for area of effect wands (i.e., same as direct attack wands)?
    I have since discovered that there is a more serious bug. I can cast spells directly from scrolls from the quickslot only if they target someone directly (e.g., blindness or magic missile). For AoE scrolls (e.g., grease or web), nothing happens. I select it, choose a target spot , spell is de-selected, nothing happens. Same process as for AoE wand from quick slot, but the wand does work ultimately (though difficult to know sometimes as mentioned).

Garrick just about took the early dirt nap trying multiple times to get a grease off.

This may only affect android and maybe ipad? Based on other comments, doesn't affect mac, and doubtful it affects pc else it probably would have been raised before, though I can't confirm.

[I added this text to the original post for complete wrt this bug.]