Skip to content

ADVICE on magical RPG games

obilieobilie Member Posts: 44
edited August 2014 in Off-Topic
Dear BG Forumers,

This discussion might not be concerning BG as such, but I decided to turn to you for advice for I believe many of you are very well oriented in the world of (RPG) games.

Is there a game that makes you feel like a hero, situated in a magical world in which one does not have to use violence or combat all the time, but still use important and needed magic? For example, for me the idea of using Divination spells (and even being specialized) is absolutely thrilling. I love the situations with a feeling of danger in proximity and me using non-violent - even mystical and clever - spells to gather more information about the circumstances such as Farsight. In many games, these spells often just aid the player, but I think often are completely expendable.
Clairvoyance, 'inner sight', identification, detecting traps and evil, holding a person - all of these are immensely appealing to me. Basically the feeling of being magical, important, needed, but mostly not offensive, does the trick. Healer or buffer is not the thing I am looking for; it has to be some other type of spells mostly having less to do with direct combat (buffs and heals are basically a part of it.)

Hence, using the party to battle through mobs is not that appealing to me, though I am not saying I would not compromise and tolerate some necessity of combat.

I was just wondering if there is such a game. I remember being thrilled when Guild Wars 2 aimed to make the player feel like a real hero. In the end it did not attract me since, concerning magic, it is aim and kill as well.
The world, story and depth of BG2 and similar magical worlds is absolutely enthralling to me, but I might enjoy being part of them in a different way maybe.

Thank you very much!
all the warmth and smiles

Post edited by Metalloman on

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    What you are describing is a very niché type of a game, that would not thrive as the average (paying) gamer wants to play a game, where he or she can hack things to the ground. These types of games are not going to have a huge fanbase, because they would be marked as "boring".

Regrettably, I haven't found one yet, but try Planescape:Torment. That's closest to what you are describing. (Solving problems via magic or communication, not hack&slash)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I would play the heck out of something like this.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The first thing that comes to mind would be You Are Not The Hero, as it's pretty much the antithesis of hack&slash. It may focuses more on communication, building and brains than divination magic though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Zx5WCS2Ak

However, like the title suggest the player is no hero at all in this RPG, but a *commoner* girl. So it's maybe not exactly what you're looking for.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I think PS:T is low on combat, but I haven't played that yet, so I don't really know.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Even though not a magical game, I can only think of Assassin Creed franchise.

"makes you feel like a hero": Check
    "situated in a magical world:" Uncheck
    "in which one does not have to use violence or combat all the time:" Check
    "but still use important and needed magic?:" Check (sorta with the use of eagle sight)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited August 2014
    Uhm... Assassin's Creed has lots of fighting there (boring fights) and I don't consider it an RPG, but it's my opinion...

EDIT: if OP meant a rpg and not a generic game in his question, of course. Otherwise there are lots of games around filling what he's searching. :)

EDIT2: moved in Off-Topic, I think this thread fits better here.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    What about the Elder Scrolls games? You can sneak or invisibility past like 95% of the fighting, level up in several schools of magic and crafting skills without having to attack anybody, and you can sometimes use magic to set off traps or environmental hazards to deal with enemies whom you fail to sneak past.
  • obilieobilie Member Posts: 44
    Southpaw said:

What you are describing is a very niché type of a game, that would not thrive as the average (paying) gamer wants to play a game, where he or she can hack things to the ground. These types of games are not going to have a huge fanbase, because they would be marked as "boring".

Regrettably, I haven't found one yet, but try Planescape:Torment. That's closest to what you are describing. (Solving problems via magic or communication, not hack&slash)

Thank you very much, I will take a look at it. I am aware of the fact that I enjoy a different type of gaming that is uncommon hence unprofitable, but I was hoping there might be something.

The first thing that comes to mind would be You Are Not The Hero, as it's pretty much the antithesis of hack&slash. It may focuses more on communication, building and brains than divination magic though.

Thanks! I am a fan of indie/alternative games.

What about the Elder Scrolls games? You can sneak or invisibility past like 95% of the fighting, level up in several schools of magic and crafting skills without having to attack anybody, and you can sometimes use magic to set off traps or environmental hazards to deal with enemies whom you fail to sneak past.

Will check it out. Any particular one you'd suggest?

Thanks to everyone for helpful answers! Since there very likely is not a game that was designed this way, I think I agree that a solution might be to search for a similar RPG game like BG2 that would be set in a magical world with interesting storyline, have various magical schools and especially one that would be something of the Divination kind. And, of course, a way how to level up and progress this way.

Any other comments are very welcome!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Divinity Original Sin is great, with lots of interesting spells. For example, early game you can find a burning ship in the harbour after an orc raid. If you have a rain spell, you can douse the flames and be a hero! Being turn based you also don't lay waste to 1000s of mobs.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @obilie - Elder Scrolls - try the lastest, Skyrim. You can't go no-kill through the whole game, but you can try to build your character in a way utilizing sneak+magic and sneak around enemies in dungeons, trying to kill just the ones that need killing.
    edited August 2014
    @Southpaw‌ - Thank you, I have already checked it out, it is not exactly what I am looking for since my preferences are pretty complicated, but I will try it out and see.
    sending smiles
    @FinneousPJ‌ - Thanks for the tip!
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    @obilie
    There is only one that I have played that I think you might enjoy. As others have already mentioned here, I would really recommend Planescape Torment to you. It is much more story and character based then combat. There is combat, but you are allowed to be both magical and cleaver, if you choose, instead of always solving problems with a sword. The setting can feel a bit strange at first, I know it did to me, but it soon all makes sense and feels right. I would recommend reading some posts around the net about how to set up your character before you start, as it does make a difference with the type of character your interested in playing. And pick up Dak’kon for your party. I have a feeling he is just the type of party member you would enjoy. Good luck in your search, and if you find one you find interesting, please do post about it here! I’d love to find another that I enjoyed as much.
    @Ravenslight‌ Thank you for the advice. The setting of the game and not being a character with a command of magic is less appealing to me, but I will try it out, I can't have it all I suppose. If there is something I come across, I will definitely let you know.
    smiles
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    obilie said:

@Ravenslight‌ Thank you for the advice. The setting of the game and not being a character with a command of magic is less appealing to me, but I will try it out, I can't have it all I suppose. If there is something I come across, I will definitely let you know.
    smiles

You can definitely be a mage with a command of magic. A mage is all I play in that game. :) I agree though, the setting can take some getting used to. I hope you find one to your liking!