Skip to content

I did maths for you Beamdog...

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
If 1000 people have preordered, then,

1000 x 18 = $18,000! Thanks @calculator!

So they've made over 18k, plus the people who didn't preorder (waiting for Mac/iPad/Android/Hard copy).

How much do you think they need?

Comments

• Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    I’m afraid we haven’t raised enough money even to buy a new piano for Sam Hulick : (
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    I think they need 20 times at least. That's the salary for half a year, for a single person. Not counting costs, and licence... and voice acting... and ... and...

But no worry, at least 1500 have preordered ^^ maybe more with gift and all. Ill pre order early september myself, i'm not impatient :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Ward said:

If 1000 people have preordered, then,

1000 x 18 = $18,000! Thanks @calculator!

So they've made over 18k, plus the people who didn't preorder (waiting for Mac/iPad/Android/Hard copy).

How much do you think they need?

Now reduce the total due to taxes and divide the rest between beamdog, atari and wotc

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm really moved how willing people are to be interested in other people's profit.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    1239 x 18 = 22, 302.

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    alright, you consider that one person's salery for a year is usually about 35k if you're on the low end of things like me, and that they've been working on the game since april. we'll say 5 months so far, say a team of 10 people making 35k a year (probably much higher then that) and we have about 145,000 usd so far.

This doesn't include what they had to pay to get ea to allow them to do it, but probably a cash amount as i'm sure they don't think the game will sell well, and i'm not sure about wotc, but they seem the type to require a smaller amount plus a percent of every game sold, say 10%. Also you have to factor in taxes (which was included in the price of the game), and that number of 22k isn't much.

i pray this game does well. But beamdog isn't a large company, they're in the hole at this point on the game, and the preorder was probably just a revenue boost. I plan to buy multiple copys (as many as my wife allows me to :P) just to support the company, but you have to realize that they're not going to get rich off of this game, and if they do, it will take a looooooong time. That's why we all need to tell as many people about the game as we can. I know alot more will buy it when it's released, but if no one knows about it, it won't sell well, and then our little dream here will be lost.

Sorry for the bleak outlook, but there's still hope, it's just a matter of getting the word out :)
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I'm pretty pessimistic about this. Simpy because BG has always been a niche series.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    I believe it's a lot easier for Beamdog to do the math. They were given a budget for the game, and profits must exceed that budget for the game to be considered successful. It's that simple.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I hope the sale of DLCs will help them to actually make a profit if the games sales alone are not enough.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    If they sell a few hundred thousand units on mobile platforms they should be golden.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @Bjjorick I'm not too worried. If all else fails, they can put it on Steam and it'll sell like hotcakes whenever a Steam sale arises. Less profit per sell(which is likely why they aren't starting out on Steam... no need to cannibalize their profits right at launch), but enough sales to make up the difference.
  • giosantigiosanti Member Posts: 20
    I think the iPad version of the game will be a good source of income. I know people that just impulse buy games on their iPhone and iPad all the time. These types of people aren't on the forums, and obviously haven't preordered yet, since they don't have the option on iPad.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    The series is over a decade old; the only reason this project received the go ahead was the iPad. If the game appeals to the modern mobile gamer (which it won't :/ ) then we can easily expect a BG 2: EE and BG 3.

Things aren't entirely grim though. I'm sure once IGN, Gamespot and others get a hold of the Enhanced Edition more sales will follow.

Look at it this way: over 2 million copies of BG 2 were sold over it's life time. If we assume that 1/1000th of those people will purchase BG: EE (a low estimate) that's still 20,000 people, or $360,000 in sales. Not to forget of course, duplicate purchases for multiple platforms, as donation, etc.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @Ulfgar_Torunn You do make a good point about duplicate purchases. I'm sure it won't be 1:1, but I know that I'm going to be purchasing the Android version whenever it comes out(already pre-ordered the PC version). I'm also considering gifting some copies of the game to a couple of friends that I know never played it before.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    BGEE will probably be the biggest game on tablet devices out there currently, content wise. I don't see why it wouldn't appeal to modern mobile gamers.

While I love it the way it is, I bet that putting the game on steam might also work (although Overhaul would get much less money that way). I'm afraid for things like : "Buy BGEE on Steam and get a Sarevok Team Fortress 2 hat!" to happen if it were on Steam though.

THAT aside, marketing from media and not. Positive reviews from big reviewing companies or positive reviews from personalities (youtube) would boost the game sales greatly.

Ultimately, I think that the biggest win-win side for BGEE is the tablet market. I mean, think of the commute people have in buses or trains nowadays. Hours upon hours. Can't bring your laptop or isn't practical enough? TAKE A TABLET, with BGEE on it!

Seriously, I'm considering buying a Tablet just for BGEE. And nothing else. I think it would be a deal! Now if I could give the Tablet price's money to Overhaul, that would be even better. Does any dev have tablets to be sold? I'm willing to pay... well, name the price first!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    My ultimate goal, once I have the money, is to buy the game for PC, buy an iPad, and buy the game for that iPad. I'm really interested to see how the game plays on a touch screen (I'm optimistic).

I really do hope the game sells well. But also remember that Beamdog gets some of its revenue from people purchasing other games through their client. It's not necessarily a case of "BG:EE or Bust!"
    yeah guess maybe one of the things we could do to help them is buy other games from them but lol, i didn't even look really. If the games have the same DRM where one time install, and that's it, i'll consider it, but if not, not going to buy it.

If this game was on steam, i wouldn't have bought it.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305

I believe it's a lot easier for Beamdog to do the math. They were given a budget for the game, and profits must exceed that budget for the game to be considered successful. It's that simple.

Considering I needed a calculator to figure out there are eighteen one thousands in 18,000, I agree.

• tithintithin Member Posts: 31
    So, erm, whats the target and how many have ordered?
    the target is to sell 32.5 trillion copies. don't know how many have been sold so far :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Bjjorick We're almost* there!

*not really almost.
  • SlashneedSlashneed Member Posts: 6
    If by any chance Beamdog don't earn enough to keep working on either BG2:EE or a future BG3, then I think Kickstarting those would really work. I mean, there's so many people funding lesser RPG-titles or random shots in the dark, so a BG would be a cake-walk to fund! Hopefully it will never come to this anyway and people will buy loads of copies of BG:EE. In fact, I think I'll make my preorder right now!