Skip to content

The Adventures of Sir (Lord) Gawain in Faerun (Pre-Camelot) (Minimum Reload - Spoiler Warning)

Comments

• CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    edited October 2014
    It is obvious that I am now being hunted by the FF & Bounty Hunters for the ‘murder’ of Rielter & the Iron Throne leaders @ Candlekeep. I’ve heard it said that no good deed goes unpunished but it certainly felt like the right thing to do & I certainly didn’t want to face them again later, when I could eliminate them there & then. I’m going to head south toward Amn where the FF reach is not as nearly as prevalent as it is from Beregost north. I’ll keep my ear to the ground as I move north in case something changes but for now, I’m a fugitive from the same FF that I’ve helped against the Seven Suns & the Iron Thrown & uncovering the mysterious disappearances in E BG. I’ll begin my adventuring in The Valley of the Tombs, the same place we emerged when we came up from the Nashkel Mines. Early on we eliminated a group of Gnolls & War Dogs, four each before coming upon…

Key Event: …four female amazon assassin’s. I deduce that they were warriors/clerics/assassins as there were spells being cast at us, Longbows, at least one was wearing splint mail & the others leather armor (one enchanted studded leather). Whatever they were, they are no more. Dynahier led off w/a perfect Fireball that broke one of them immediately. Jaheira Blessed most of us & Imoen fired a MM @ one of them that was incanting, disrupting the spell. I charged into the midst of them & started attacking the nearest one to me that was incanting a spell. Minsc was shortly in the behind me attacking whichever one got close to him. Another amazon tried casting a spell & Imoen blasted her w/MM as did Dynahier & I think that killed er. In no time, we’d defeated the would-be assassins. We garnered some good treasure from these foes carcasses.

From there we encountered & defeated six Wild Dogs, & a half dozen skeletons before entering a tomb & killing three Ghasts & acquiring treasure from their caskets. A second time, we ran into six Wild Dogs & a half dozen skeletons guarding yet another tomb. This one contained a Revenant that we beat down pretty easily. We found plenty of jewelry & potions in the caskets. We continued exploring, defeating four Gnolls before running into a Mage who claimed he’d created a spell that would control slimes & jellies. I thought it would be useful to have & asked about it & he went hostile & called two Ochre Jellies to his aid. Imoen & Dynahier kept him from getting off a spell by hitting him w/MMs each time he tried. Meanwhile, I closed on him, Minsc too I think, & he was dead in no time. His jellies weren’t far behind. Our final challenge was one last tomb, guarded by four skeleton’s w/Composite Longbows & inside a single Ghast, now dead for good.

Treasure of Note: Purse = 5140 gold; Studded Leather +1 (Khalid); Ring of Energy (Dynahier); Potions: Heroism, Magic Blocking (Me), Power (Imoen), etc.

Current Disposition: Nashkel/Nashkel Inn

Next Steps: Investigate the area around the called Gibberling Mountains

Level Up: Dynahier’s Mage Guildmaster bestowed upon her the title Enchanter (Mage/7) & she gained a 4th 2nd Level Spell & was given the four Invoker/Evoker spells: Fire Shield, Ice Shield, Ice Storm & minor Sequencer

Current Party: (Reputation: 16 – Popular)
    • Gawain: Ftr/7; Full Plate w/Large Shield +1, Cloak of Protection +2, Helm of Defense, Boots of Grounding, Girdle of
    Bluntness, Rings of Fire Resistance & Free Action; Bastard Sword +1/+3**** (SSS**) (Greater Doppelganger)
    • Minsc: Barbarian/6 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***/THWS** (Flail*)(Spellcaster
    Defend)(Davaeorn)
    • Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/6 w/Studded Leather +1 w/Bracers of Archery, Longbow****, B/Sword* (TWS***)( Sword Spider)
    • (Ranger Ranged)
    • Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/8 w/Leather +1, Sling*, Club +2 (Eye of the Storm)*, (Phase Spider)(Druid Summoning)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue)/7 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Cloak of Non-Detection w/Short Bow*, Short Sword +1* Dagger +1*, Necklace of Missiles, (Sword Spider)(Thief Def)

DYNAHIER CHARACTER RECORD MAGE/INVOKER LEVEL 7
    • Dynahier: Mage (Invoker)/6 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Sling*, (Q/Staff*), Ring of Energy, (Tuth)(Wizard Offensive)
    DYNAHIER CHARACTER INVENTORY LEVEL 7
    DYNAHIER 4TH LEVEL SPELLBOOK @ 7

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

Blue Font: New information;
    Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)
    (Best kill)(Current AI)
    * Name Levels are ancient, AD&D titles that used to represent each new level in a class
    Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on
    JuliusBorisovlolienEkyelkaCrevsDaak
  • As planned, next we were off to the Lonely Peaks which were the northernmost edge of Amn. Right off we got a taste of what was to come throughout the LPs. We’d just gotten started when two Ogre Mages w/Bastard Swords attacked us. We beat’em down good w/o anyone taking spell damage or a swipe from a Bastard Sword. We all have a healthy respect for Ogre Mages. The reason I said we got a taste of things to come was because the Peaks were swarming with Ogres of every kind. Over the next few hours we fought & defeated two trios of Ogrillons & three Ogres w/Morning Stars.

It was time for a rest but it wasn’t long before we were ambushed by seven Half-Ogres w/Bastard Swords that we had a little trouble w/but got organized in time to defeat them. The following AM we had a timely arrival that allowed us to kill six Xvarts w/Short Swords that were attacking a farmer’s cow. He was greatly relieved & appreciative. The rest of the day consisted of a quick battle w/six Kobolds armed w/Shorts Swords before we ran into a clan of four Half-Ogres who wanted our iron…& our lives. We easily defeated them and, later, two pairs of wolves & then, three more Ogres before we began to wrap up our adventure here.

Key Event(s): Our last confrontation in the Lonely Peaks was the toughest. We came upon three armored bandits, two in Splint Mail & two w/Longbows & enchanted arrows in their quiver. We were moving away from them when we crossed them so we had to wheel around 90’. Imoen was closest to one of the Longbow wielding bandits & hammered him w/one of her innate Magic Missiles before taking an arrow. I immediately hollered for her to retreat out of range even as she was fumbling for a PoH. In the meantime, Jaheira blasted the leader w/her innate Call Lightning while Dynahier launched her Minor Sequencer w/back to back Magic Missiles on the other bowman. Meanwhile, Khalid was popping off arrows @ targets of opportunity until the bowman next to Imoen hit her again & still she couldn’t get the PoH out of her quick item pouch. At that point, the other two bandits were dead & I ordered everyone to turn on the last bandit & Khalid hit him square in the temple killing him & saving Imoen.

DEFEATING ARMORED BANDITS IN THE LONELY PEAKS

On the way back to Nashkel we went via the carnival & defeated six Kobolds that had moved back into that area. Then we headed to town.

Treasure of Note: (Purse = 11,583 gold);

Current Disposition: Having a rest @ the Nashkel Inn after selling our booty

Next Steps: I’m leading us to the Firewine Bridge, just north of Amnish territory

Level Up: None

Current Party: (Reputation: 20 – Heroic)
    • Gawain: Ftr/7; Full Plate w/Large Shield +1, Cloak of Protection +2, Helm of Defense, Boots of Grounding, Girdle of Bluntness, Rings of Fire Resistance & Free Action; Bastard Sword +1/+3**** (SSS**) (Greater Doppelganger)
    • Minsc: Barbarian/6 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***/THWS** (Flail*)(Spellcaster Defend)(Davaeorn)
    • Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/6 w/Studded Leather +1 w/Bracers of Archery & Boots of the North, Longbow****, B/Sword* (TWS***)( Sword Spider) (Ranger Ranged)
    • Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/8 w/Leather +1, Sling*, Club +2 (Eye of the Storm)*, (Phase Spider)(Druid Summoning)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue)/8 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Cloak of Non-Detection w/Short Bow*, Short Sword +1* Dagger +1*, Necklace of Missiles, (Sword Spider)(Thief Def)
    • Dynahier: Mage (Invoker)/6 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Sling* & Q/Staff +1*, Ring of Energy, (Tuth)(Wizard Defensive)

Mods Used: HardTimes-v2; BG1UB_v12; bg1npc-v20; X0black101 (Blackguard); MegaModKits v1.01L; level1npcs-v1.9; bg2_tweaks-v14; Randomizer-v68; scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

(Best kill)(Current AI)
    * Name Levels are ancient, AD&D titles that used to represent each new level in a class
    lolienJuliusBorisovBlackravenBelgarathMTH
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664

Ekyelka said:

The way you play is so cute! Finding rooms for each of the characters or running away from combat to go through their backpacks :3

Thank you. I enjoy the game so much & like to play as realistically as possible, e.g. I look @ the rooms in the Inn & make sure there is room for everyone & then pay for price for the most expensive room one or more of us are in, i.e., I rarely, if ever, pay for a Common Room except early in the game @ the FAI where there are true Common Rooms. If someone is sleeping in a room we can't use that room so one of us has to use a chair outside or take turns w/another of us. Usually, Minsc volunteers to stand guard while the rest sleep.

When in an inn we take all our armor & equipment off to rest, but in the wilderness or dungeon, I only allow us to ground out helms, bracers, girdles etc. Must be ready for an attack, so I make them keep a weapon in their quick weapon slot but not showing in their hand as it's hard to sleep with a Two-Handed Sword as a pillow. Instead, if we get attacked, the PC/NPC can grab the weapon from their quick weapon slot but are unable, in general, to put their helms etc back on b/c they have to react too quickly to fumble around w/that stuff. lol

Another thing I do that's weird, is when I'm done playing & going to bed, I put the party in an inn or use the 'circle formation' to put them in camp for the night using my little rules above. If, however, I'm going out for a while, I might take them to an inn & let them enjoy a rest w/some beer or wine depending on the character. Dynahier, of course, drinks wine, Minsc drinks a stout or dark ale while the others enjoy mead or light ale. Gawain, himself, is technically a teetotaler but b/c medieval water, especially in inhabited areas, is often non-potable, he sips wine or mead to prevent disease.

Thanks again. Here's the latest from Gawain. CT
    I don't do quite so much, but I tend to position my team, at least for pictures. Sometimes they'll be huddled around a table for discussion, other times some will sit at a table eating while others relax at the bar, etc. etc. I don't remove equipment, though. That's too much work for me. XD I just say they remove it offscreen.
    lolienBlackraven
    If I didn't have so many other games/other things going on, I'd totally do the challenge. Of course if I chose to do so, I'd also have to find the information about D&D's versions of the characters online.

Perhaps you should do a group of mythical and historical heroes in a new IWD challenge once you finish this one.
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak

Elrandir said:

If I didn't have so many other games/other things going on, I'd totally do the challenge. Of course if I chose to do so, I'd also have to find the information about D&D's versions of the characters online.

Perhaps you should do a group of mythical and historical heroes in a new IWD challenge once you finish this one.

You know, I learned to play these games w/IWD (I think that was it). The game started w/the party on a ship in a town. When they walk down the doc, they start getting attacked by Goblins. Then you get out of the town & go up to a walled wooden fort & have to fight off an attack & then the game begins in full...Is that IWD?
    I BELIEVE that's IWD2, though that's literally all I've seen of that game, so I could be wrong. But yeah, IWD:EE plays great. (so far) I have a role-played play-through going right now on the forums, so if you want to see the game before buying then you can check that out. And hey, slow play-throughs are fun! =p Finding every nook and cranny is pretty standard for me too.
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • I led my companions back to the Firewine Bridge to descend into the building on the far left side of the bridge. It soon became apparent as we worked our way through, we’d have to deal w/Kobold Commando’s w/those Arrows of Fire & traps galore. I didn’t even try to keep count after our first hour or so, especially considering that they were accompanied by their weaker counterparts also. Khalid thinks he & Imoen started w/28 Arrows of Fire & now they have 60, so I estimate we killed 60-70 total Kobold Commando’s/Kobolds by the time we exited the ruins for the last time.

The remainder of time we chiefly focused on avoiding traps. Unfortunately, one trap Imoen disarmed appeared to go off anyway, taking her life. We’d found an exit earlier that led into the basement of a building but had decided to check it out after we were finished in the ruins. Now, I decided to go out that way & see what that building was. Conveniently, it was a Halfling Temple & we were able to raise Imoen their w/o returning to Beregost. We were in Gullykin. I knew it was near but did not realize we were right under it. The Priest let us sleep in the basement but admonished us not to get into his barrels of wine.

Back in the ruins, we continued to cut down Kobolds & try to avoid traps. Every now & then, one of us would step wrong & take a Magic Missile or something. We’d spoken w/a young Bard on the Firewine Bridge who sung a rhyme about a traitorous knight that had betrayed his comrades. Turned out the story was true as we found six Ghost Knights that wouldn’t cross w/o their comrade despite what he’d done. We crossed paths w/the traitor knight & he begged us to kill him & take his armor. We did so & returned the armor to the other Ghost Knight’s & they were reunited.

Key Event(s): Just when I thought this was a cake walk, we turned a corner & were facing an Ogrillons & a mage w/a few Kobold Commando’s firing Arrows of Fire to add to the fog of war. With an Ogrillon & a mage on our right & Kobold Commando’s on our right, we were in a bit of a mess. Khalid, Jaheira & Dynahier were back a ways & I had to call them forward fast. I quaffed a Potion of Magic Blocking & Minsc used his Barbarian Rage. Imoen was up front w/us as she’d been Detecting Traps. She used her innate Magic Missile, I think on the Ogrillon, but then she took an Arrow of Fire & I directed her to the rear. Things weren’t going well behind me & I couldn’t bring much to bear although I know Dynahier got off a Magic Missile. Things happened quickly & the mage went down, the Ogrillon too & someone mopped up the Kobolds. We didn’t get a breather though b/c suddenly there was an Ogre Mage to deal w/& as soon as we saw him, another Ogrillon. I quaffed a second Potion of Magic Blocking before attacking him. Meanwhile, Jaheira got slugged by the Ogrillon & had to make a dangerous evasion into a hallway that, luckily, wasn’t trapped. The Ogrillon then turned his attention to Minsc & died. A moment later, I cut down the Ogre Mage after he’d managed to cast Confusion, sending both Imoen & Dynahier wandering aimlessly, Imoen @ one point shooting her bow @ us.

DEFEATING AN OGRE MAGE SUPPORTED BY A MAGE & TWO OGRILLONS

Treasure of Note: (Purse = 12,925 gold); Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power (Jaheira); Gandolar’s Lucky Ring (Imoen)

Current Disposition: After cashing in our treasure & identifying the GoOP we are nor resting in the Red Sheaf

Next Steps: I have changed my mind & plan to scour the Gullykin area before moving on the Ulcaster

• Gawain: Ftr/7; Full Plate w/Large Shield +1, Cloak of Protection +2, Helm of Defense, Boots of Grounding, Girdle of untness, Rings of Fire Resistance & Free Action; Bastard Sword +1/+3**** (SSS**) (Greater Doppelganger)
    • Minsc: Barbarian/6 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***/THWS** (Flail*)(Spellcaster Defend)(Davaeorn)
    • Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/6 w/Studded Leather +1 w/Bracers of Archery & Boots of the North,
    Longbow****, B/Sword* (TWS***)( Sword Spider) (Ranger Ranged)
    • Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/8 w/Leather +1 w/Gauntlets of Ogre Power; Sling*, Club +2 (Eye of the Storm)*, (Phase Spider)(D+ruid Summoning)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue)/8 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Cloak of Non-Detection & Gandolar’s Lucky Ring w/Short Bow*, Short Sword +1* Dagger +1*, Necklace of Missiles, (Sword Spider)(Thief Def)
    • Dynahier: Mage (Invoker)/6 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Sling* & Q/Staff +1*, Ring of Energy, (Tuth)(Wizard Defensive)

(Best kill)(Current AI)
    JuliusBorisovlolienBelgarathMTH
    edited November 2014
    After finding Gullykin during the Firewine Bridge/Ruins exploration, I wanted to return & make sure the area around their little hamlet was secure for them. There were a few threats that we were able to eliminate for them. We killed six Kobolds w/Short Bows/Swords, 12 Kobolds w/Short Swords only, & six Kobolds armed w/Short Swords that we had to battle alongside two Ankheg’s which ended up bringing 500 gold. The Kobolds were likely displaced from the Firewine Ruins & Bridge area that we just cleared. Aside from those we killed two Dread Wolves & three Worgs that were immediately hostile so we thought them a threat to any Halfling’s that might wander outside of the hamlet so we eliminated them also.

Key Event(s): While clearing the area, we were attacked by four more assassins. The leader of this group called himself, Molkar, a knight & he was accompanied by what I think was another knight, a cleric & a mage. I’m certain the latter was at least a dual-classed mage as he fired Melf’s Acid Arrow & a Magic Missile @ me (you know you’ve been in this business a while when you can detect the type of spells that are attacked with). Initially, I focused on the first assassin Minsc spied but almost changed my mind when I saw one of them incanting a spell, then another. I quaffed my last Potion of Magic Blocking which is why the spells I mentioned earlier didn’t affect me at all. Minsc finished off his knight & I turned on the leader, Molkar. Imoen assisted me w/Molkar, blasting him w/her innate magic Missile while I hacked away & he fell so easily I do a disservice to all knights to call him one, either of them really as Minsc did a quick number on his as well. Then we turned on the spellcasters. Jaheira had already cast her second favorite spell, Summon Woodland Beings, bringing in a Dryad w/her but I think they were all dead by the time the Dryad was able to influence the fight, although it was apparent she’d cast Barkskin on herself. We defeated these attackers easily. We actually had a more difficult battle against six or eight Xvarts on the way back to Beregost.

FINISHING OFF THE LAST ASSASSIN

Before I left Gullykin, I took the time to meet the Halflings living in that quiet hamlet. They all revere Dillillia, the name used for Yolanda, in/around the Sword Coast. Yolanda is the Halfling’s chief deity, a Major Deity. We met a delightful Halfling Rogue, Alora, type who wanted to join me & though I don’t have need of another companion now, between her & the devout Halflings there, I’ve made the hamlet my personal protectorate. I let Gandolar & Alora know that I would try to pass though when I’m in the area & that they could send a runner to the Temple of the Morning & ask for Kelddath Ormlyr. I’ll make a point of trying to keep him apprised of my whereabouts so that, if needed, he can send for me if the Halflings are in need.

(Note: As many that follow my adventures, I come to this w/a biased toward the AD&D of the early 80's where I used to play P&P w/others. The game was run by a 'Dungeon Master.' I know that by now, any DM would've warned me more than once that my PC was acting more Lawful & Good than True Neutral. The Gawain in the Deities & demigods that I model this PC on is 'Neutral.' I think the DM would've dropped the hammer on me by now & told me my PC was LG. So, I've changed his alignment accordingly. This is the same alignment as King Arthur, Sir Lancelot, Sir Galahad, etc., in the Deities & Demigods Manual so this change brings Gawain's alignment in line w/theirs).

Treasure of Note: (Purse = 14,020 gold);

Current Disposition: We’re @ the Red Sheaf taking a breather

Next Steps: Heading to Ulcaster Ruins

• Gawain: Ftr/7; Full Plate w/Large Shield +1, Cloak of Protection +2, Helm of Defense, Boots of Grounding, Girdle of Bluntness, Rings of Fire Resistance & Free Action; Bastard Sword +1/+3**** (SSS**) (Greater Doppelganger)
    • Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/6 w/Studded Leather +1 w/Bracers of Archery & Boots of the North, Longbow****, B/Sword* (TWS***)( Sword Spider) (Ranger Ranged)
    • Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/8 w/Leather +1 w/Gauntlets of Ogre Power; Sling*, Club +2 (Eye of the Storm)*, (Phase Spider)(D+ruid Summoning)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue)/8 w/Bracers of Defense AC6, Cloak of Non-Detection & Gandolar’s Lucky Ring w/Short Bow*, Short Sword +1* Dagger +1*, Necklace of Missiles, (Sword Spider)(Thief Def)

(Best kill)(Current AI)
    JuliusBorisovlolienHenkeBBelgarathMTH
    edited December 2014
    As planned, my next stop was the area around Ulcaster w/an eye on protecting the Temple of the Morning & eliminating a threat appearing on the flanking doorstep of Beregost. I feel confident that Nashkel can protect itself from monsters & other threats now the we’ve swept that area clean, @ least long enough to call for & receive assistance from the capital, Athkatla, or Crimmor or even Esmeltaran (a Halfling city), all further south from Nashkel which is the northernmost hamlet in Anm.

Ulcaster was fairly barren & there appeared to be no organized threat emerging. Still, we defeated six Hobgoblin Elites w/bastard Swords, 12 Skeleton’s w/Morning Stars & Bucklers & six Zombies w/, three Ghouls alongside 12 Kobolds w/Short Swords. We met a harmless Ghost lamenting the destruction of Ulcaster. He mentioned something about a tome that we might find under some rubble in the ruins. We’ll keep an eye out.

Key Event(s): We encountered six more Kobolds w/Short Swords loosely led by a wraith warrior. We defeated him, Dynahier pelting him w/two Magic Missiles & Minsc finishing him w/Spiders Bane. The Kobolds were just gnats to be swatted.

DEFEATING ICHARYD @ ULCASTER

We found a grate leading underground but we elected to finish up around the ravines before descending. Descending the hilltop where the Ulcaster School stood & immediately defeated two Hobgoblin Elites & three Hobgoblins w/Bastard sword & Short Bows. Continuing Through the ravines we defeated six more Hobgoblin & two Hobgoblin Elites one being a leader type. Most of the regulars are of the Flesh Render Tribe w/their Red tunics. After trying to rest a while, as Minsc had taken a few Arrows of Fire from three Kobold Commando’s as we reached the top of a hill overlooking the ravines. After defeating them, we tried to rest & bring Minsc back to full strength & were attacked by 10 more Kobolds w/Short Swords & Short Bows.

Treasure of Note: (Purse = 15,055 gold);

Current Disposition: Unloading supplies & resting in Beregost

Next Steps: Decend into the grate that leads under the Ulcaster Ruins

Level Up: Minsc has increased his skill as a Barbarian to Level 7. He is ruthless w/Spiders Bane.

• Minsc: Barbarian/7 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***/THWS** (Flail*)(Spellcaster Defend)(Davaeorn)
    • Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/6 w/Studded Leather +1 w/Bracers of Archery & Boots of the North, Longbow****,
    B/Sword* (TWS***)( Sword Spider) (Ranger Ranged)
    • Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/8 w/Leather +1 w/Gauntlets of Ogre Power; Sling*, Club +2 (Eye of the Storm)*, (Phase Spider)(Druid Summoning)

(Best kill)(Current AI)
    lolienJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

Problem for me is, as Blackraven knows, I play slowly...very slowly. Every square inch of BGI and BGII before I start again. takes forever. I'd like to someday though. I'll buy the EE version though, and play around w/it a bit. Thanks for the tip Elrandir.

Missed this comment because sometimes I read your updates on the Bioware Forums and sometimes on here. I know your meticulous protagonists indeed, and I like and respect them. The approach doesn't work with every possible personality type imo (an impulsive, highly aggressive avenger of Gorion's death might not have the time and the patience for 'completionism'), but I really appreciated the way you had your evil protagonists follow their deities'/demons' orders. And Gawain is a strategist and a hero of the Sword Coast so it's only natural that he doesn't rush after Sarevok and that he goes out of his way to help out everywhere he goes.
    Personally, after having seen countless of my protagonists fall on carefully and patiently roleplayed runs not unlike yours, I've become a bit more powergamey as of late, though I know that powergaming grows stale after a while for me as well.

Safe travels for Gawain, and I promise that my next run, should Victor fall, which I hope isn't going to happen anytime soon, Tristram will enter the Mythical & Historical Hero Challenge (albeit as a no-reload challenge rather than minimal reload).
    lolienJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2014

Problem for me is, as Blackraven knows, I play slowly...very slowly. Every square inch of BGI and BGII before I start again. takes forever. I'd like to someday though. I'll buy the EE version though, and play around w/it a bit. Thanks for the tip Elrandir.

Safe travels for Gawain, and I promise that my next run, should Victor fall, which I hope isn't going to happen anytime soon, Tristram will enter the Mythical & Historical Hero Challenge (albeit as a no-reload challenge rather than minimal reload).
    Woohoo. Sure would like to read others adventures here...sadly I read more slowly than I play. :)

I have so many PCs in mind, I'd like to get to: Merlin; Galahad (perfect for the PC as Galahad was a bastard son to Launcelot & Princess Elaine), etc.
    BlackravenlolienJuliusBorisov
    edited December 2014
    The trip to the Ulcaster Ruins almost surely brings one into contact w/a few monsters that just seem to be prevalent near the old school. Having been there twice, we’ve cut many of them down, hopefully dissuading others from moving into the area…especially since we managed to get that Tome back to the Ghost of Ulcaster. Once the school is up & running, I’m sure it will be able to protect itself just fine. One the way back to the grate that opens to a long, gradually descending stairway down. Before we got their we defeated, three Ghasts, Six Zombies, 16 Kobolds w/Short Swords & six Skeletons w/Morning Stars & Bucklers.

Surprisingly, no intelligent humanoids or other creatures had moved in to use the ruins as a base of operations, although the place was perfect for it. We did come across an Ochre Jelly & a Mustard Jelly shortly after we arrived. Aside from that the place was the lair of wolves. We killed six Dread Wolves & four Dire Wolves as we worked our way through. We also came across a Huge Spider nest & exterminated them.

Key Event(s): Our final battle was against a Vampiric Wolves & his pack of four Dread Wolves. The Dread Wolves were all female & it would seem the Vampiric Wolf, the Alpha Male. Then again, Vampiric Wolves are undead, so they have no place in the natural order. Whatever the case, we defeated them easily.

DEFEATING THE VAMPIRIC WOLF & HIS PACK

Treasure of Note: (Purse = 15,934 gold) No treasure to speak of really. We added some gold to the purse & several Potions: Genius, Absorption, Hill Giant Strength, Oil of Fiery Burning & Potions of Healing x2

Current Disposition: Back in Beregost resting & lightning out load of bounty.

Next Steps: Clear and secure the area around the Temple of the Morning, then the same @ High Hedge, followed by the Lighthouse & the Shipwreck’s Coast before working east again

Level Up: None (*I’ve gotta think we’re getting ready to get a flurry of them all together. I never check to see how close any PC/NPC is getting to leveling up. I like to be surprised when it happens!*)

• Minsc: Barbarian/7 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***, Flail +1/THWS**(Spellcaster Defend)(Davaeorn)
    • Jaheira: Priestess of Sylvanus/8 w/Leather +1 w/Gauntlets of Ogre Power; Sling*, Club +2 (Eye of the Storm)*, (Phase Spider)(Druid Summoning)

(Best kill)(Current AI)
    edited December 2014
    I led my companion to the Temple of the Morning to finish up our effort to secure the area around the temple & Beregost from the east. After thoroughly combing the hills & terrain it’s likely there was no real threat out there, especially since I’m quite sure Kelddath Ormlyr & his attendant Sirines can bring it pretty good if the temple were attacked. There were a few bands of Hobgoblins including six Chill Hobgoblins w/Bastard Swords, six Hobgoblins from the Leg-Breaker tribe also armed w/Bastard Swords & seven Chill Hobgoblins w/Bastard Swords led by a Sergeant w/Studded Leather & Two-Handed Sword. (Note: Hobgoblin Sergeants aren't usually found w/less than 20 Hobgoblins. We’d killed six Chill earlier that the Sergeant may have sent on an errand. That means there should’ve been another five Chill & two of the Sergeants assistants somewhere but we didn't find them. There’s no way the Leg-Breakers would've been under the Sergeants’ authority). There were wolves & dogs everywhere & we killed six aggressive Wild Dogs & a pair of mated two Dread Wolves & two mated wolves.

We were fortunate to find a woman who’d been petrified by a Basilisk as we were later to discover & she warned us of the Basilisks presence in or near that area so we made sure to acquire additional Stone to Flesh Scrolls & Dynahier’s made sure to pack her Protection from Petrification Scrolls in addition to Potions of Mirrored Eyes, one of which the woman gave us in thanks. We all forgot that we just needed to go to the temple to purchase one & none of is sure what we were thinking but it worked out b/c Minsc needed rest due to injuries he’d suffered in battle with…

Key Event(s): ...two Vampiric Wolves, two Dread Wolves & three Worgs. Worgs are the evil kin of the Dread Wolf & they are nasty but not so much as the powerful & evil Vampiric Wolves. I ordered the use of enchanted projectiles so both Jaheira & Dynahier used Bullets +1, Imoen Arrows +1 & Khalid, Arrows of Fire. As always in battles w/wild animals or humanoids, generally creatures we can easily overpower, the order to use ranged weapons means not to use our precious spells in case a more deadly foe should confront us later. In this case, the Vampiric Wolves went down easily (although Minsc was bitten three, maybe for times but I don’t know which ones). After the Vampiric Wolves were killed, I turned us on the Dread Wolves before finishing up the smaller, weaker Worgs.

EXTERMINATING THE WOLF PACK

Treasure of Note: (Purse = 15,299 gold) None to speak of, a few gems

Current Disposition: Beregost @ the Red Sheaf

Next Steps: I’m going to lead us over to High Hedge & try & build an alliance w/Thalantyr while clearing that area to protect Beregost from the east. Like the people of Nashkel in Amn, so the people of Beregost in the of Baldur’s Gate have been good to me. I choose no side in these tensions between Baldur’s Gate & Amn, especially since our adventures to the Nashkel Mines, the Bandit Camp & the Cloakwood Mines make it clear that the tensions are being ARTIFICIALLY engineered & aggravated by someone associated w/the Iron Throne…

Level Up: Khalid has advanced to Pathfinder (Ranger/Archer//7);

• Gawain: Ftr/7; Full Plate w/Large Shield +1, Cloak of Protection +2, Helm of Defense, Boots of Grounding, Girdle of
    Bluntness, Rings of Fire Resistance & Free Action; Bastard Sword +1/+3**** (SSS**) (Greater Doppelganger)
    • Minsc: Barbarian/7 w/Splint Mai w/Boots of Avoidance, Girdle of Bluntness &Spiders Bane***, Flail +1/THWS**(Spellcaster Defend)(Davaeorn)
    • Khalid: Ranger (Archer)/7 w/Studded Leather +1 w/Bracers of Archery & Boots of the North, Longbow****,
    B/Sword* (TWS***)( Sword Spider) (Ranger Ranged)

(Best kill)(Current AI)