Skip to content

Ipad + PC = ?

WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
edited August 2012 in iPad (Archive)
1: Lets say I've bought the PC-version.
2: Lets also say I've bought the Ipad version.
3: Lets say I have yet to buy any of the dlc's

A: I bring over a character (from the PC version) using one of the voices/portraits, what will happen? Will I be forced to repick or will it accept the Portrait and Soundset?
B: I bring over a savegame (from the PC version), what will happen to the Portrait, Soundset, Dorn and Neera? Assume neither Dorn or Neera has been recruited yet.

Comments

• inweinwe Member Posts: 79
    edited August 2012
    Trent said that they will no break the game... so, if you have the game in both platforms, if you save the game/you have one of the npc from DLC, you will play/have it on your iPad os you do on your PC (or Mac ;) )
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    @inwe That they have said yes, but still doesn't answer the question of the portrait/soundset and what happens if you havn't recruited the new npc's before moving the savegame over.
  • inweinwe Member Posts: 79
    In your iPad you have the full game, all the DLC from PC and Mac, normally when you purchase any of the DLC from an IAP, you get that content available.. so, if you recruit Dorn or Neera, you already have the content related to that npcs because your iPad game already have it (but disabled)
  • grapthargrapthar Member Posts: 2
    OK, perhaps I'm daft... but I have the same question Wolfheart has and it has not been *explicitly* answered. I get that Trent mentioned they won't break the game. I get that if I have recruited one of the new characters on my Mac, then open that saved game on my iPad, I'll have the new character.

What about the portraits and soundset?

What if I play on the iPad and get to a point where I would have encountered one of the new characters? Would they not be there?

Is the design intent for this dynamic to give people who buy the iPad version on top of the Windows / Mac version a break, kind of like a bundle?

I'd love to support this project and I'm already committed to getting both versions. I wouldn't mind saving a few dollars, though!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012
    As for encountering a character, I suppose if you are playing your saved game on the iPad and have not paid for the DLC the new characters will not appear. If the characters are in your party they will remain fully functional which includes their portrait and sound sets.
  • grapthargrapthar Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate you taking the time to respond, bigdogchris, but I'm hoping for someone on the dev team to spot this and give a full response. I know it's a longshot given how busy they must be, but I'll still check back to see if I get lucky!

:P
    Indeed... Way to many theories floating about. So far we've only got confirmed that if we have one of the new npc's in our party we'l keep em and we can load savegames that are saved in one of the dlc areas. That doesn't mean we'll be able to enter the dlc area's or recruit the npc's if we transfer a game over from the PC version.

And while I highly doubt Beamdog will do an EA (And toss you out of the areas), it would be nice to have it black and white what will happen when you transfer game's between.
    @grapthar with all due respect, Trent has said they will not break the game if you transfer saves. What more do you want? I'm pretty sure he has looked at all aspects of save game transfer before making such a statement.
    @bigdogchris Not breaking doesn't equal full functionality.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Wolfheart In this case I think it does. If you can't load a savegame in a new area you were in or if a party member suddenly disappears it's a game breaker.
    edited August 2012
    From my understanding, BG:EE is not going to ship with different versions and/or require additional downloads to use the day 1 DLC. This means that if you buy the $9.99 iPad version or the $19.99 PC version, you still get the full download. So even if you do not own the DLC on the iPad, all of the assets still exist in the installation, they are just not unlocked. When you move a save game over then everything is still there. You just can't start a new game with the DLC unless you've unlocked it.

This concept is the equivilent as "on-disc" DLC.